Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to market Ron Paul 101

Exclamation How to market Ron Paul 101

I have a marketing minor and dusted off some of my text books to get this information. Marketing can apply to anything including products, services personalities, celebrities, and politicians. While we are all creative and have our own ideas about how to get Ron Paul’s name out there, there are indeed some hard and fast, tried and true rules to marketing that we should keep in mind.

First off you want to:
    Get Attention, hold Interest, create Desire, produce Action. (AIDA)

This is done by:
    - Informing voters that Ron Paul exists
    - Reminding voters that Ron Paul exists
    - Persuading voters to investigate/vote for Ron Paul
    - Building a relationship with voters

These actions result in voter:

1) Awareness (repetitive branding – see below)
    2) Knowledge (disseminate information)
    3) Desire (create favorable feelings)
    4) Self-research
    5) Loyalty – ongoing communication
    6) Their vote

Ways for us to get Ron Paul out in front of people:
    - News reports (considered by voters to be most accurate)
    - Word of mouth (most effective)
    - Entertainment shows (TV/radio)
    - Celebrity endorsements
    - Internet (we’ve got this one covered ha ha)
    - Paid Advertisements (electronic/print/outdoor)

ADVERTISING:
    Types of advertisement formats:
    - Comparative (RP vs other)
    - Demonstration or showing action
    - Testimonial
    - Dramatization (slice of life)
    - Lifestyle/bandwagon “everyone’s voting for RP”
    - Fear appeal “Hillary will win if you don’t vote for RP”
    - Humorous appeal
    - Problem/solution “Taxes are too high, RP will do something about it”
    - Reasons ‘why to vote for RP’

All purposeful dialog must include:
    - Recourse
    - Recognition
    - Responsiveness
    - Respect

Anytime advertising is attempted there are metrics to keep in mind:

Reach - how many voters will see the ad at any one time

Frequency
    - how often the ad is seen

CPM – cost per 1 thousand people to get the message out (m is the Roman numeral for 1,000). For example, a radio ad might have a CPM of $10 whereas a TV ad might have a CPM of $20. Obviously in this case the radio ad is more cost-effective because it reaches the greatest number of people with the least amount of money. Each medium is different and should be explored to get the most bang for your buck with the lowest CPM.

The best ads of course have the widest reach with the highest frequency and the lowest CPM.

SEGMENTING + TARGETING:
    - The audience should be segmented based upon individuals’ needs, wants, desires
    - Those segments should be targeted individually for maximum impact

Segments are usually based upon:
    Behavior/lifestyle
    Demographics
    Ethnicity
    Geodemographic
    Psychographic
    Age/life stage
    Political Affiliation

Defining the segments involves market research (random phone surveys).

Name Recognition and Branding:
    “"Name recognition is a concept used in politics to describe number of people who are aware of a politician. It is considered an important factor in elections, as candidates with low name recognition are unlikely to receive votes from people who only casually follow politics.

Name recognition is also considered a major obstacle for challengers hoping to defeat incumbents. The fact that they are already in office, and have usually already won an election, gives incumbents an inherent name recognition advantage over most challengers." - Wikipedia

“"the most important ingredient to winning any campaign is name recognition-" - unknown

While spreading the name of Ron Paul we need to:
    - project credibility
    - strike an emotional chord
    - give voters a compelling reason to vote for Ron Paul
    - ask for their vote

Any slogans, catch-phrases, logos, graphics, etc used should:
    - be easy to pronounce
    - be easy to remember
    - be easy to recognize
    - attract attention
    - suggest unique proposition
    - distinguish Ron Paul's position relative to the competition

People often reduce a candidate’s identity to names, logos, and other associated words, graphics, videos, or soundbites. These marks do become inseparable from the candidate over time, and when seen or heard they elicit specific thoughts about him or her. But it is those thoughts that represent the true identity of the candidate. The branding experts call it mindshare or “top of mind awareness” and is the most valuable piece of real estate in the mind of the voter. The names, logos, and other brand associations of a candidate with strong identities eventually elicit clear and consistent positive thoughts in the minds of the receptive public. When this positive mindshare leads to affiliation, action, and support, a candidate gains brand equity and builds a brand community.

Brand marketing, or branding, creates or solidifies name recognition

Branding is not about getting voters to choose RP over the competition. Branding is about getting voters to see Ron Paul as the only solution to their problems. Branding is not about Ron Paul. Branding is about the voters!

Ever since the spread of books, memorization became less important and the process of rhyming, in the same way, has gradually fallen out of favor. We all remember in one way or another the nursery rhymes we were told as children. In today's memory management courses, for instance, they tell you to use rhymes and word association. Rhyming is pleasing to the ear and, beyond ease-of-recall, it also tends to adds credibility. “I like Ike” is a perfect example.

CONCLUSION AND CALL TO ACTION:

It’s going to be an uphill battle. Here in Tennessee our primary is Feb 5th. That gives us November, December, and January. That's 90 days

Here are my thoughts on this:

November: PROS – money is not tied up in holiday marketing and spending. CONS - few voters are paying close attention to the election yet

December: CONS - lots of marketing dollars are being spent which makes penetrating through to the voters very difficult; most individuals are not thinking about politics; individuals have money tied up in the holidays.

January: PROS - voters will be paying more attention to election. There are less recreational activities in January to distract voters. Advertising is very inexpensive in January due to low demand. CONS - many supporters will have blown all of their available cash on the holidays.

In all honesty I consider December a wash. That means we have ONLY 60 days!

I suggest all of the Meetups begin to purchase local advertising. DO NOT WAIT ON THE CAMPAIGN. They are swamped and can barely return calls or e-mails. WE MUST DO THIS OURSELVES! Take the initiative to get Ron Paul elected. If WE don’t do this ourselves, then Fred will win the primary and Hillary will be President.

We MUST get the phrase “Ron Paul for President” out there to as many voters as possible. The goal is 3 impressions of that phrase via 3 different mediums within 72 hours of each other. That will produce a 30-50% response. If you determine your reach and frequency over a specific geographic area, then you can calculate based on these numbers how many new people were exposed to Ron Paul.

When we promoted the Nashville Rally on Oct 6th here is what we paid:

A local 100,000 watt FM talk station (carries Bill O’Reilly and Michael Savage):
    Morning drive times were $45 per :30
    Evening drive times were $75 per :30
    Overnights were only $1 per :30.
    (if anyone needs me to record a radio commercial, I would be happy to do that for them – I have a studio available for that sort of thing)

TV advertising:
    I spoke with a small business locally who told me they had a television commercial on Comcast the local cable provider. They said it was free to shoot the commercial, and it runs several times a week for $1200-$1500 month. I am investigating this further, you should contact your local cable provider to investigate rates in your area.

The MOST IMPORTANT aspect of the entire campaign at this point is name recognition to those voting in the primary with the ultimate goal of earning their vote for Ron Paul. Nothing else matters.

Last edited by Matt Collins; 10-15-2007 at 09:33 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Wow. That's...really thorough. I'm posting this on my wall.

Heh, don't forget A.B.C. Always Be Closing. PUT THAT COFFEE DOWN. The coffee is for closers.

I hope this gets bumped, so many of us get to give it a read, then stickied perhaps.

Thanks Matt,
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
    Heh, don't forget A.B.C. Always Be Closing.
    Good point. I do some sales, but primarily my objective is marketing but sales MUST follow.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

We need some radio ads. I don't have the resources or skills... any takers?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Dean created a few.. they're available on the Americans United For Liberty PAC site.

I am probably the most anti advertising person you will ever meet. Adblock all the way, and I used Tivo before I canceled satellite in favor of NetFlix. After saying that I would definitely say that advertising is something we need to do more of because our biggest problem is not that there are a million obstacles to overcome like all of the other candidates have but that most casual voters have never heard of Ron Paul.
    Taking the campaign to the next level! Click for info!

Blessed are the peacemakers - Matthew 5:9

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Good point. I do some sales, but primarily my objective is marketing but sales MUST follow.
    AIDA is used extensively in sales, as is ABC. I sat through way too many sales meetings in my car selling days. If you want a great sales movie that utilizes both, rent Glengarry Glen Ross with Al Pacino, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey, Alec Baldwin, and Alan Arkin. Huge cast, fantastic movie, and anyone who has been in sales can really really relate to it.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kylejack View Post
    If you want a great sales movie
    I personally like Office Space.

If you read the above you will see exactly why the founders ad for NH is really bad from a marketing standpoint.
    "Every generation needs a new revolution."
    -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Ridiculous View Post
    If you read the above you will see exactly why the founders ad for NH is really bad from a marketing standpoint.
    Please be specific.

Well, for one, it just lists all these warnings but doesn't say one thing that Ron Paul plans to do to fix any of the problems. It doesn't actually inform people what Ron Paul's platform is. So where you could have had the chance to inform people about Ron Paul, they are instead condescended to about how they didn't follow the founder's warnings. Only a very small percentage of people who see the ads will actually go to those websites.
    The reach of the ad is not effective as it could be because people have to look up information about Ron Paul's platform rather than it just being IN THE AD itself in plain language rather than just vaguely implied.

What about seniors and such who probably don't use the internet but read the paper? They could be informed about Paul's platform with the ad, but they won't be, and they won't look him up on the internet. For a full page ad like this you want you reach to be effective as possible. You are pretty much requiring further action on the part of the reader to find out what Paul's platform actually is! + you aren't telling people that he has the most military donations Q2, you aren't telling them he is an OBGYN; 4,000 babies, that he is a vet, etc....

The testimonial aspect of it is ineffective because they are ficticious testimonials. Dead people can't endorse anything.

Condescending to your target audience is no way to build a relationship. If anything you want to complement them and their intelligence. It basically says that it is their fault that they submit, their children are slaves, etc....

The fear appeal is negated by the fact that you are basically saying that it their fault.

The ad wouldn't be *quite* as bad if it said something like "Don't you think the founders would have endorsed Ron Paul?" That at least implies some sort of intelligence on the part of the reader after they have just been told that it is their fault that their kids are slaves to the government. Instead the ad says that the founders endorse Paul, which is just ridiculous.
    Last edited by Ridiculous; 10-16-2007 at 12:55 PM.
    "Every generation needs a new revolution."
    -Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
    -Thomas Jefferson

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some advertising relies on catchy, or witty phrases. How's this one? Theres a new term for honesty, integrity, and common sense in government: It's called "Ron Paulitics". I'm waiting to hear this on a national level

The sign on the left is a screen design I'm thinkng of getting made, the sign on the right is on my truck.

We dont have money for TV
    WE dont have money for Radio
    We dont have money for Newspapers
    And the MSM is not helping at all,
    But we as individuals have 20 bucks for ten signs. x 1 million supporters eqauls 10 million!

1. Name Recognition: Ron Paul
    2. Product Info: "Champion of the Constitution", associated with good feelings of liberty, patriotism, and honor.
    2 (Alt.) No IRS, No income tax, restore the second amendment, etc.....
    3.Where and when do I buy?: President 2008

We need millions of informative signs, NOT the generic, uninformative, no message, crap signs that the campaign is selling. I almost think they don't want to win. The "hope for America" signs are void of any information... COMPLETELY worthless. WOuld you google a guys name like fred smith if you saw it on a small sign? Why would you? Who cares about fred smith, is he running for the town dog catcher or something? I have been asked if Ron Paul was in the Bible - Ron "Paul". Great, these signs are really doing their job! I was also asked if he was running for mayor. And of course I got Who's Ron Paul.

Note: I've had these signs on my truck for about 13,000 miles and I've been questioned about him less than ten times.

With no message... you perk NO interest!

Just my 2 cents in Rant form.
    “No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders.”
    ― Samuel Adams

A I D A

Do I have your attention?

Are you interested? I know you are, 'cause it's $#@! or walk!

Decision. Have you MADE your decision FOR CHRIST?!

and ACTION.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
    A I D A

Do I have your attention?

Are you interested? I know you are, 'cause it's $#@! or walk!

Decision. Have you MADE your decision FOR CHRIST?!

and ACTION.
    HUH?!?!

Lightbulb

Matt, that was such invaluable information. I was going to take out a large stack of books from the library on this topic but you saved me the trip. Thanks!

Keeping this same theme in mind, I wanted to get some feedback about the idea of direct mail marketing. To be more specific - neighborhood flier distribution. We could come up with a flier with the principles you just outlined. Perhaps we could include the differences between the top candidates and Ron Paul. (Globalists vs. Constitutionalist)

But here's the thing: Is there anyway we could come up with something very inexpensive yet creative, in which we could place the flier in? Something gimmicky that we could hang or tie on a door? I get fliers put in my door all the time for either lawn care, chinese food take out, local elections, etc. I barely even look at them. They get thrown out right away.

My desire is to come up with a way in which the person on the receiving end, will remember the unique flyer idea and connect it to the name/image of Ron Paul. Something that will stick in their head. Is it possible to come up with something that is:

A. Inexpensive
    B. Fast & Easy for volunteers to assemble
    C. Clever and Memorable

I've always been into unique product packaging. I know we certainly don't have the budget to tackle something big like this, but perhaps we could all brainstorm on something that is unique yet inexpensive.

These were just a few ideas that were popping into my head - (As we near the holidays)- small Xmas stocking that could tie on a door with a ron paul sticker on it. Inside, a rolled up flier tied up with string or a ribbon. (This shouldn't offend people. A xmas stocking is not a religious item. I know a Jewish person who likes to decorate for xmas too)!

Or if not Xmas, some other theme that ties in with Ron Paul's message. Liberty? Freedom? The Constitution? A Revolution? Perhaps some kind of packaging that would be reminisent of Colonial American culture? A test tube??? (He's a Dr.) I don't know. I'm just throwing some ideas out.

Also, I think this should be a nationwide rally - just like we did with the signs, and have the groups from each state go around door to door within their own communities, and drop off fliers. I think we are slowly beginning to realize that this massive support online, is just that. Online! We need to start reaching out to those people that don't have the internet or the time to use it - Seniors, busy mothers, some blue collar workers, etc.

Maybe this should be done on a certain weekend each month. Something on a short-term regular basis so that we can reach as many residences as possible. Perhaps come up with a clever name. Just one example - "Project Flier Drop."

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Advice?

I know Nashville was looking for some door hangers to go door to door with.

How to "persuade voters to vote for Ron Paul"

If the people you are talking to are having problems with his "libertarian" ideas, there is a good approach to get them to agree with him:

Argue from Morality!

If you want to know more on arguing from morality, check out my post:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=26312
    Last edited by nexalacer; 10-19-2007 at 12:01 AM.
    "We revere the Native American tradition of making choices based on what's best for the coming seven generations. And then we support more gun control, the one thing that made all the genocides and massacres of civilians throughout history possible." - Richard Roberts

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by nexalacer View Post
    If the people you are talking to are having problems with his "libertarian" ideas, there is a good approach to get them to agree with him:

Argue from Morality!

If you want to know more on arguing from morality, check out my post:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=26312
    Yeah, we don't need to change anyone's mind about their own philosophies (RP can do that from office later on). Right now we just need their vote, and that is all.

Yeah, we don't need to change anyone's mind about their own philosophies (RP can do that from office later on). Right now we just need their vote, and that is all.
    Maybe I'm confused... why would someone agree to voting for Ron Paul if they don't agree with his philosophies?
    "We revere the Native American tradition of making choices based on what's best for the coming seven generations. And then we support more gun control, the one thing that made all the genocides and massacres of civilians throughout history possible." - Richard Roberts

Maybe I'm confused... why would someone agree to voting for Ron Paul if they don't agree with his philosophies?
    Because not every voter out there actually LOOKS at the issues... MANY people (I would dare say most) vote on how the person talks or speaks or their personality or what state their from, or their name recognition etc etc... all superficial reasons instead of looking at where the person stands and their personal philosophies etc.

This Is Important - Bump!

Because not every voter out there actually LOOKS at the issues... MANY people (I would dare say most) vote on how the person talks or speaks or their personality or what state their from, or their name recognition etc etc... all superficial reasons instead of looking at where the person stands and their personal philosophies etc.
    Should we rely on superficialities to get Ron Paul elected? Remember what happened to Dean in '04? He looked unbeatable until a superficial "yeeeeaaaahhhh!" scared everyone away.

I understand what you're talking about and it's great advice, but if we want a solid base that will continue to work towards freedom even in the case that Ron Paul doesn't get elected, we MUST focus on the philosophy. If we want a more solid "commitment to vote for RP", we must break down the philosophy.

If you take an hour or two of your own time to study "the argument from morality", you can then explain it to the people you're "selling" RP to in 5 to 10 minutes. Is 5 to 10 minutes too much to ask for a more solid vote for RP and someone who will stick to the freedom movement even after this election?

I understand what you're talking about and it's great advice, but if we want a solid base that will continue to work towards freedom even in the case that Ron Paul doesn't get elected, we MUST focus on the philosophy. If we want a more solid "commitment to vote for RP", we must break down the philosophy.
    Of course the philosophy is important. But what's more important is to get someone in office who shares our philosophy (RP). Sound marketing techniques will absolutely decide if RP wins or not. The only thing we need to get RP into office are votes. That's IT. We can educate people about libertarianism at a later date, but right now, we just need their vote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast