Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raising Fish

Raising Fish

Does anybody here have any experience with aquaponics? A supply of tilapia, trout, or something like that sure would be handy in tough times.

Why waste time fishing if you can pick one out of the tank in your yard?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A few pictures, and I think we'll see some interest in this topic.

This sells for $150 and can support 12 full size tilapia.

http://www.mybackyardfishfarm.com/ca...77/7275451.htm

This 300 gallon system will set you back about $2,700.

or, go w/ the 200 gallon system for the same price and grow plants with it:

http://www.cropking.com/aqua

This Crop King place is within a reaonable driving distance. I may have to look nto them. The fist place is in Southern California.

nope, but I have several pet fish. 2 African Cichlids and a pleco.

Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    I may have to look nto them. The fist place is in Southern California.
    That is one thing, you pretty much have to live in a warmer climate.

Another option is, one of the universities in one of the carolinas has been doing a lot of research on raising blue crab in ponds. That might be worth looking into if one has land and suitable pond.

I volunteered at an organic city farm non profit in milwaukee called Growing Power that had an excellent system.

You can see it here:
    http://www.growingpower.org/aquaponics.htm

This is an explanation found on the website:
    Fish such as Tilapia and Yellow Perch are raised in a large tank of water. Growing Power uses Tilapia and Yellow Perch in our aquaponics systems because they are relatively easy to raise and because we can market them to restaurants, market basket customers, and they are a favorite in ethnic markets. Read more about Yellow Perch and Tilapia below.

By using gravity as a transport, water is drained from the fish tank into a gravel bed. Here, beneficial bacteria break down the toxic ammonia in fish waste to Nitrite and then to Nitrogen, a key nutrient for plant development. On the gravel bed, we also use watercress as a secondary means of water filtration.

The filtered water is pumped from the gravel bed to the growing beds, where we raise a variety of crops from specialty salad greens to tomatoes. The water is wicked up to the crops roots with the help of coir, a by-product of coconut shells and a sustainable replacement for peat moss.

Finally, the water flows from the growing beds back into the tank of fish. Growing Power uses this type of aquaponics system because it is easy to build and only needs a small pump and heat to get the system running.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    That is one thing, you pretty much have to live in a warmer climate.

Another option is, one of the universities in one of the carolinas has been doing a lot of research on raising blue crab in ponds. That might be worth looking into if one has land and suitable pond.
    Milwaukee is very cold in the winter. All you need is a small heater for the water that doesn't use much electricity.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quite interesting.

I live at the end of a canal. I was thinking about setting up a net across the canal, lowering it when the tide comes in, then raising it before the tide goes out.

I can't fish to save my life. I look down at the fish and they just swim confidently knowing that I won't be eating them.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    Quite interesting.

I live at the end of a canal. I was thinking about setting up a net across the canal, lowering it when the tide comes in, then raising it before the tide goes out.

I can't fish to save my life. I look down at the fish and they just swim confidently knowing that I won't be eating them.
    you'd probably be breaking a number of fishing violations with that method

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Aquaponics is amazing.

You feed your fish.

Your fish poop.

The poop gets filtered out by the roots of your plants, no need to clean the poop out of the fish tank.

The roots of your plants eat the fish poop and make food for you to eat.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Aquaponics is amazing.

You feed your fish.

Your fish poop.

The poop gets filtered out by the roots of your plants, no need to clean the poop out of the fish tank.

If you're ever looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon, Dannno, this should be in you're general side of the world:

These are the people that have the barrel above for $150.
    TILAPIA 101: Saturday Workshop ($5) Held monthly on the first Saturday of the month (except in January, when held on second Saturday)

Monthly from 3PM - 4:30PM
    $5 Donation requested in support of our education and research efforts.
    WORKSHOP: RAISING TILAPIA IN YOUR OWN BACKYARD--GETTING STARTED!

Please bring a chair along!

Overview topics will include basic introduction to raising fish and vegetables. Health benefits of tilapia and why farm raised tilapia that you grow at home are healthy to eat and better than store-bought. They are hormone-free! You can control the quality of what they eat. The end result is a better tasting fish and a healthier fish for you and your family to eat. Raising vegetables in water is fast and easy. Simple, affordable, DIY, all organic, sustainability gardening. And, its fun, too! Workshop and demonstrations will be taught by one of San Diego's most prominent tilapia experts, Tilapia Mama

Quote Originally Posted by Krugerrand View Post
    If you're ever looking for something to do on a Saturday afternoon, Dannno, this should be in you're general side of the world:

These are the people that have the barrel above for $150.
    Wow, I think I'll have to set my folks up with one of these..

Would be great to power the whole thing with solar as well.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    you'd probably be breaking a number of fishing violations with that method
    Well, it's quieter than dynamite...

Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    Well, it's quieter than dynamite...

I lol'd. Indeed, it is.

I take it you do not have a pond? If you have a pond make sure to dig a 18 foot hole in the middle of the pond so the fish can go in it during the winter.

If you have any common sense and ability, you can figure out how to inexpensively (much less expensively than many of these advertised fish farm prices) create a fish producing food source.
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    I take it you do not have a pond? If you have a pond make sure to dig a 18 foot hole in the middle of the pond so the fish can go in it during the winter.
    18 feet? Good Lord, where do you live? We didn't even need 18 feet in Minnesota.

(I do agree though, dig it deep.)
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Only problem, don't grow tilapia, bad fatty acids in them.

Grow catfish or salmon.

Popular Fish, Tilapia, Contains Potentially Dangerous Fatty Acid Combination

ScienceDaily (July 10, 2008) — Farm-raised tilapia, one of the most highly consumed fish in America, has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and, perhaps worse, very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, according to new research from Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0708092228.htm
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post

Grow catfish or salmon.

ScienceDaily (July 10, 2008) — Farm-raised tilapia, one of the most highly consumed fish in America, has very low levels of beneficial omega-3 fatty acids and, perhaps worse, very high levels of omega-6 fatty acids, according to new research from Wake Forest University School of Medicine.

Per the link, the catfish suggestion may not be a good one either. From my early reading, trout is supposed to farm easily. Thanks for the info. There little point to growing something that's nto going to be healthy in the long run.

They say their research revealed that farm-raised tilapia, as well as farmed catfish, "have several fatty acid characteristics that would generally be considered by the scientific community as detrimental." Tilapia has higher levels of potentially detrimental long-chain omega-6 fatty acids than 80-percent-lean hamburger, doughnuts and even pork bacon, the article says.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    If you have any common sense and ability, you can figure out how to inexpensively (much less expensively than many of these advertised fish farm prices) create a fish producing food source.
    That's very true with lots of things. In some cases, the time saved may be worth the addition expense to some people. However, I imagine for somebody who knows what they're doing, the time difference would be minimal.

Another consideration - if somebody wants to do this as a way to raise some extra cash, having the option of support from a reliable commercial vendor can prove worth the expense ten-fold. It can also be helpful from a loan standpoint, if somebody wishes to start an aquaponics business. Until a level of expertise if is developed, having a expert available to help can be valuable to having to hit the books for answers.

The issue with Tilapia and low omega3/high omega6 centers around the feed used. Most farms are trying to turn a profit so they use corn based feeds. The corn based feeds have short chain omega6 which easily converts to long chain omega6 in the Tilapia. If you feed your Tilapia naturally with duck weed and worms I imagine the omega6 levels will go down but I am not sure the omega3 would go up. I can't find any informational articles on the wild tilapia.

If you are looking for a good omega 3 source you should probably stick with salmon or trout. If you are looking for a sustainable food source in general or some variety you might look at Tilapia and/or yellow perch too. Tilapia like warmer waters while Yellow Perch can handle cooler temps. Just stay away from the feeds and use natural food for your fish.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

I found a site which sells plans, not kits. The plans include operating instructions, constructions plans, parts lists and drawings. This allows you to procure most pieces locally at considerable cost savings.

http://www.friendlyaquaponics.com/do.../micro-system/

Grow catfish or salmon.

According to Dr. Peskin's books, the omega 3 fatty acids in fish oil in general conatin very little of the parent essential omega 3 oil that is most beneficial. He says you need a 4 to 1 ratio of parent omega 6 to parent omega 3 oils. There is a lot more of the parent omega 3 in flax seed than fish oil.

http://www.naturalhealingtools.com/e...ntialoils.aspx
    Instead of relying on fish oil containing mostly "derivative-based" omega 3 oils, we use healthy organic Evening Primrose oil, organic high linoleic Safflower oil a and sunflower oil, all excellent sources of "parent" omega 6, along with organic flax oil for "parent" omega 3, to obtain what we consider the ideal science-based “parent” omega 6/3 combination.

The proper Parent Essential Oil ratio based on science is another extremely important issue that needs to be addressed. There is a misconception among nutritionists that we already get plenty of omega 6 in our diets. The problem is that we get very little pure, unadulterated "parent" omega 6 oils because, to get long shelf-life, most will be turned by the food manufacturers into cancer-causing trans fats or damaged in some way making them ineffective. Furthermore, and of extreme importance is the fact that you can easily "overdose" on excess omega 3, which can cause serious health problems. More than 97% of your body needs at least a 4/1 ratio in favor of unadulterated "parent" omega 6 over "parent" omega 3 because that is what your tissues and organs are made of.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Yellow Perch!
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Go with a solar algae pond. You can make one out of greenhouse glazing for less than the other commercial options and they have the following additional advantages:

Acts as a heat sink - you can heat a passive solar greenhouse during winter partially with some of these.

Higher stocking densities of fish than other pond methods and smaller footprint.

Waste products are great plant food.

btw: I've built one of these and can provide some more info if there is interest.

Summary of Fish Culture Techniques in Solar -Algae Ponds:
    http://www.thegreencenter.net/pdf/j6ponds.pdf

A Primer on New Alchemy's Solar Aquaculture
    http://www.thegreencenter.net/pdf/solaraqua.pdf

Solar Pond article list:
    http://www.thegreencenter.net/aquaculture.html

Many of the articles are online here - especially the ones in the Journal
    http://www.thegreencenter.net/pubonline.html
    http://www.thegreencenter.net/

Another point about Tilapia is that you have to have your site inspected and get a permit in many areas as if they escape into the local streams/lakes they will dominate them and decimate other species. This may apply to other types of fish too.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 08-01-2010 at 11:04 AM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Grow catfish or salmon.

Personally, I never put much stock into these so called studies. How much longer before they come back with an 'Oh, yeah...we've discovered that's not true.' I knew they were wrong about chocolate and I was right! )

I've been looking into building a high quality aquaponics system on the Cheap. SO far I've found:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=3357 (Use as Fish Tanks) $387

http://www.plastic-mart.com/item.aspx?id=1444 (Use as Growing Beds) $220

You'll also need:

bell siphon
    pvc tubing
    water pump
    fish aerator

For your basic setup.

I've heard of people using an old bathtub or Hot tub as a fish tank. Sometimes people will give them away for FREE if you will haul them away.

Here are some excellent torrents for learning about aquaponics:

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2850055/24542840/
    http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2769367/34359976/

Quote Originally Posted by ItsTime View Post
    And make sure your pump sits above the bottom, so when there's a plumbing problem, you don't pump the pond dry.

I'm married to a guy that knows more about seafood than almost everybody else in the country. That barrel that's pictured in the top is just a big disease pit waiting to happen. There's no way to grow healthy fish with as many as they've got in there.

If I was going to do this, and I lived in a warm climate, I'd dig a pond in the backyard instead of mucking around with plastic barrels. T
    Last edited by angelatc; 02-20-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Aquaponics is amazing.

You feed your fish.

Your fish poop.

Actually, it's even better than that. The plants can be turned into fish food.

USAfishbox.com is a good site for fish information.

I must brag a little:We live in town but we got a farm only 10 Km away. My family got water mill on that farm(60 years old soon to be converted in small hydro-plant thanks to me) and water creek long about 300 meters. In that creek we got trout and black river crabs (electricity and food all in one.)

Give specifics: Where do you live; how much space you got; max. initial investment etc.

If you live in city i cant give any good advice but if you are in rural area you can dig a small pond in a field, fill it with water and have carp (I am not 100 sure that I translated it right) in it. Carps dont mind muddy water (trouts need moving and clean water; especially to reproduce)... Carp will eat anything and I really mean ANYTHING.
    Last edited by Barrex; 02-20-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: translation
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast