View Poll Results: Which of the following religious ideologies do you most identify with?

Voters
221. You may not vote on this poll
  • Christian (Protestant)

43 19.46%
  • Christian (Catholic)

22 9.95%
  • Christian (Orthodox)

2 0.90%
  • Christian (Mormon)

2 0.90%
  • Christian (Quaker)

1 0.45%
  • Christian (Other)

23 10.41%
  • Muslim

4 1.81%
  • Atheist

39 17.65%
  • Agnostic (and/or "non-religious")

60 27.15%
  • Buddhist

0 0%
  • Hindu

3 1.36%
  • Non-listed "Eastern" religion

1 0.45%
  • Jewish

4 1.81%
  • Other

17 7.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Demographics -- Religion (2010-2011)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You missed a pretty crucial one, which describes myself as well as many of the founders: Deist.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Quote Originally Posted by BenIsForRon View Post
    You missed a pretty crucial one, which describes myself as well as many of the founders: Deist.
    Couldnīt a deist be just about anything?

I think I'm going to join the Church of Kludge.

Do I have to shave my head?
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Atheist
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Kludge View Post
    Couldnīt a deist be just about anything?
    Well I'm not a christian, muslim, jew, buddhist, or hindu. All I know is that there is some form of higher, universal intelligence. All the religions pretend like they know more about it than they actually do.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I think I'm going to join the Church of Kludge.

Do I have to shave my head?
    No. However, there is a rigorous acceptance procedure which must be followed for potential members. You will need a camcorder, your voice, a guitar, two quarts of fresh blueberries, and maybe a few limes or lemons.

Quote Originally Posted by M House View Post
    I just got accepted into his cult. Damn, it took three videos liar. Anyway, just so everyone knows what is good material to the honored one...

http://img263.imageshack.us/i/video0000.mp4/
    http://img25.imageshack.us/i/video0004z.mp4/
    http://img8.imageshack.us/i/video0006o.mp4/

Yeah, yeah I'll do autographs later.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Why would you consider Mormonism a part of Christianity?

there is a subtle difference between two questions:
    • "Which religion do you most identify with?"
    • "Which religion do you think is the right/correct religion?"

'Christian- Protestant' was chosen but only because of the way the question was worded. ie. "Who do you most identify with?"

I most "identify" with being a Lutheran Christian because I was raised as a Lutheran. However, if the question had been phrased: "Which religion do you think is correct?" the answer in that situation would be as BenIsForRon stated: Deist.

The reason? Just because Jesus is the prophet I believe in, does not mean I think other prophets from other religions are not right for their peoples. Under one God, imo there could be many prophets. -Also don't agree with one Christian religion being more right than another Christian religion: they're all just interpretations, just as the Bible can be interpreted in many different ways.

So probably the wrong thing was chosen, but only because of the way the question was worded. The most important thing is i believe in a Supreme Being, but tend toward Christianity because of the way i was raised.

Quote Originally Posted by Humanae Libertas View Post
    Mormon Jesus (Christ) was involved in the Endless Celestial Sex which in turn brought us into existence.

Christian - Protestant...more specifically, Baptist.

Hebrew-Roots Christian, AKA Messianic Believer, Messianic Jewish etc etc. More in common w/ Protestant Christians than any other flavor of modern Christians I suppose, but significantly different from all types of post-Roman Christianity. It assumes that "proper" Christianity is an evolution of pre-Christian Judaism rather than a whole new never-conceived-of-before thing. The largest reservoir of support for Messianism from mainstream Christians, actually comes from the Southern Baptists.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Wow, a lot of non-Protestant, non-Catholic, non-Orthodox Christians... not too much left there... My guess is that some people have no idea than non-denominational Christian is Protestant.
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by charrob View Post
    there is a subtle difference between two questions:
    • "Which religion do you most identify with?"
    • "Which religion do you think is the right/correct religion?"

'Christian- Protestant' was chosen but only because of the way the question was worded. ie. "Who do you most identify with?"

I most "identify" with being a Lutheran Christian because I was raised as a Lutheran. However, if the question had been phrased: "Which religion do you think is correct?" the answer in that situation would be as BenIsForRon stated: Deist.

The reason? Just because Jesus is the prophet I believe in, does not mean I think other prophets from other religions are not right for their peoples. Under one God, imo there could be many prophets. -Also don't agree with one Christian religion being more right than another Christian religion: they're all just interpretations, just as the Bible can be interpreted in many different ways.

So probably the wrong thing was chosen, but only because of the way the question was worded. The most important thing is i believe in a Supreme Being, but tend toward Christianity because of the way i was raised.
    There is one mediator between God and man, the man Christ Jesus.
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

Quote Originally Posted by Humanae Libertas View Post
    I agree, Mormonism denies the basic tenet of Christianity. That Jesus Christ is the one and only son of God, who came to earth, who died for our sins, offers free and unconditional salvation to all those who place their trust in him, and who is the sole way to commune with God.

Scientologist wasn't on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Wow, a lot of non-Protestant, non-Catholic, non-Orthodox Christians... not too much left there... My guess is that some people have no idea than non-denominational Christian is Protestant.
    Not necessarily. Many who claim to be non-denominational Christian, deny the Roman Catholic Church is Christian and thus do not protest against what is not Christian. They prefer to think of themselves as never having had anything to do with the self proclaimed "Catholic Church".

Quote Originally Posted by ibaghdadi View Post
    Only 2 Muslims?
    Battle of Tours. Battle of Lepanto. Those probably have something to do with it.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 07-26-2010 at 10:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Not necessarily. Many who claim to be non-denominational Christian, deny the Roman Catholic Church is Christian and thus do not protest against what is not Christian. They prefer to think of themselves as never having had anything to do with the self proclaimed "Catholic Church".
    I deny that the Roman Catholic Church is Christian, and I am a Protestant. I most certainly would protest that the Roman Catholic Church is not Christian... If someone is a non-denominational and claim to have circumvented the Roman Church in their lineage, then they are either Copts, Armenians, Orthodox, or Waldensian/Vaudois in their lineage. I am just amazed to see so many of them here.
    Last edited by John Taylor; 07-26-2010 at 10:40 AM.

I deny that the Roman Catholic Church is Christian, and I am a Protestant. I most certainly would protest that the Roman Catholic Church is not Christian... If someone is a non-denominational and claim to have circumvented the Roman Church in their lineage, then they are either Copts, Armenians, Orthodox, or Waldensian/Vaudois in their lineage. I am just amazed to see so many of them here.
    Typically, a Protestant is just the offspring of the Roman Church, claiming to protest some of what the Roman Church does but not all of their practices. The distinction is that those claiming to be non-denominational are separating themselves completely from ever having had anything to do with the "Catholic Church".

To have circumvented the Roman Church is to disavow it ever had any legitimate existence and thus those who claim to be non-denominational have continued the practices of the original Church of God as it was before the third century.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Change the title of the thread, because this has nothing to do with demographics.
    There are no viable statistics that can come from this thread.

Case in point: I am a confessional Lutheran.
    I chose "Christian - other" because it is the only choice that applies.
    Please note that I did not choose the same as Charrob despite what you would expect - and this was before reading her post.
    The simple reason is because the "Lutheran" banner she was raised under bears little resemblance to codified Lutheranism. They are fundamentally different. These differences have existed since the 16th century.

I can tell she was raised under this other brand because if she had been raised Lutheran as codified, she would realize that her belief in deism means that she does not in any way identify with Lutheranism, but with syncretism - currently the most popular type of Christianity, but one which I don't see in your poll.

If I we can get two people with the same label to produce two different results, this thread is therefore meaningless.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Typically, a Protestant is just the offspring of the Roman Church, claiming to protest some of what the Roman Church does but not all of their practices. The distinction is that those claiming to be non-denominational are separating themselves completely from ever having had anything to do with the "Catholic Church".

To have circumvented the Roman Church is to disavow it ever had any legitimate existence and thus those who claim to be non-denominational have continued the practices of the original Church of God as it was before the third century.
    Actually, a Protestant is someone who recognizes that the Roman Catholic Church is not a Christian church, who recognzes that salvation can be found in and through Christ alone, not in any artificially constructed sacrament, and who recognizes the Holy Scriptures to be the inerrant Word of God. Such a person, including Baptists, Methodists (the original ones, not the Unitarians going around today proclaiming they are Methodists) Presbyterians, and Quakers, utterly reject Romish idolatry. They PROTEST against the Roman corruption of Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Change the title of the thread, because this has nothing to do with demographics.
    There are no viable statistics that can come from this thread.

Case in point: I am a confessional Lutheran.
    I chose "Christian - other" because it is the only choice that applies.
    Please note that I did not choose the same as Charrob despite what you would expect - and this was before reading her post.
    The simple reason is because the "Lutheran" banner she was raised under bears little resemblance to codified Lutheranism. They are fundamentally different. These differences have existed since the 16th century.

I can tell she was raised under this other brand because if she had been raised Lutheran as codified, she would realize that her belief in deism means that she does not in any way identify with Lutheranism, but with syncretism - currently the most popular type of Christianity, but one which I don't see in your poll.

If I we can get two people with the same label to produce two different results, this thread is therefore meaningless.
    Confessional Lutherans are by definition Protestants.

Confessional Lutherans are by definition Protestants.
    Right, I agree, but you must see my point there.
    Charrob marked Christian-Protestant when your description wasn't even on her radar, and in fact she believes quite the opposite of what you describe because under her definition Roman Catholicism is simply another avenue to God.

I marked Christian-Other because I know if I choose Protestant then I get lumped with Charrob.

From what I can tell you and I agree more than any other two people on this thread so far, and it would make more sense to lump us together somehow: yet it wouldn't take us more than five minutes to find a point of serious disagreement.

Even if some categorization was possible, I don't even really see its utility in the context of liberty.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Actually, a Protestant is someone who recognizes that the Roman Catholic Church is not a Christian church, who recognzes that salvation can be found in and through Christ alone, not in any artificially constructed sacrament, and who recognizes the Holy Scriptures to be the inerrant Word of God. Such a person, including Baptists, Methodists (the original ones, not the Unitarians going around today proclaiming they are Methodists) Presbyterians, and Quakers, utterly reject Romish idolatry. They PROTEST against the Roman corruption of Christianity.
    Yes, but those Protestant denominations still accept many of the Pagan beliefs passed down to them from the paganized Church of Rome. Those claiming to be non-denominational reject not only the idolatry but much more of the practices of Roman Catholicism. My brother, a Methodist minister, tells me the Methodist Church sprang from the Roman Catholic Church as did all of the Protestant denominations.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Right, I agree, but you must see my point there.
    Charrob marked Christian-Protestant when your description wasn't even on her radar, and in fact she believes quite the opposite of what you describe because under her definition Roman Catholicism is simply another avenue to God.

I marked Christian-Other because I know if I choose Protestant then I get lumped with Charrob.

From what I can tell you and I agree more than any other two people on this thread so far, and it would make more sense to lump us together somehow: yet it wouldn't take us more than five minutes to find a point of serious disagreement.

Even if some categorization was possible, I don't even really see its utility in the context of liberty.
    Sure, it's certainly possible we could find each other at the other's throat... I guess I was just a little stunned to see a confessional lutheran deny being a protestant! To me that's like a LCMS pastor getting up and saying that A Mighty Fortress Is Our God is a papist anthem!!!

I agree with you about the utility of polls like this though...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast