Thread: S.F. considers banning sale of pets except fish

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    People buy the high-strung, nocturnal rodents because they're under the temporary impression that hamsters are cute and cuddly. But the new owners quickly learn that hamsters are, in fact, prone to biting, gnawing through expensive wiring and maniacally racing on their exercise wheels at 2 a.m.
    That made me lol. Sometimes I want a hamster, but I have to talk myself out of getting one. About a year ago, I got a couple of those tiny turtles from a pet store in Florida. They were so cute! But they were terrible pets. They were miserable in their tank thing, and spent all day swimming up against the plastic side trying to get out. After a couple months, I set them free in a heavily turtle populated swamp area. I like to think they are happy and free there and did not starve to death or get eaten by some predator the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    That made me lol. Sometimes I want a hamster, but I have to talk myself out of getting one. About a year ago, I got a couple of those tiny turtles from a pet store in Florida. They were so cute! But they were terrible pets. They were miserable in their tank thing, and spent all day swimming up against the plastic side trying to get out. After a couple months, I set them free in a heavily turtle populated swamp area. I like to think they are happy and free there and did not starve to death or get eaten by some predator the first day.

Not the first day, but the second.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post

being relatively familiar with turtles, they were probably just trying to swim through the "weird blue solid water" at the ends of their environ. a 3' by 2' aquarium about 50% full of water and 50% "dry" land with a sunning rock (placed somewhere where the sun hit it at least 3hrs out of the day) would have probably kept them happy as a peach.
    http://glenbradley.net/share/aleksan...nitsyn_4-t.gif “And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.” ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    being relatively familiar with turtles, they were probably just trying to swim through the "weird blue solid water" at the ends of their environ. a 3' by 2' aquarium about 50% full of water and 50% "dry" land with a sunning rock (placed somewhere where the sun hit it at least 3hrs out of the day) would have probably kept them happy as a peach.
    Peaches are "happy"?

YouTube - peaches
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    For sure.

I've seen ignorant people keep them in a tank full of water till their shells pealed off.
    They really like a nice terrarium where they can enter the water when they want to and sit on dry land the rest of the time. And you are so correct in that they really like to have a place to sit in the sun.

Go to any pond that has turtles and you will notice in the afternoon, on the sunny side of the pond, the turtles will climb up out of the water and sit in the sun for a few hours. I think it has to do with warming them up as well as drying out their shells.

Yes, turtles make pretty good pets if you set them up with some water deep enough to swim in, and a couple of places where they can bask in the sun.

I had one for several years, but he died when he got stuck underwater. I had stacked up rocks for him to climb on - they'd been in that position for a couple of years, but apparently he grew just a tad too big to get back out of one of the nooks. I suppose that could have happened even in the wild, but I still feel bad about it.

RIP, Marsh.

In Colorado where I grew up there is no such thing as a dog owner or cat owner. You are a "pet guardians"- their laws were rewritten to reflect this.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Peaches are "happy"?
    All the ones I have encountered were smiling

Turtles are... special. You can go out and try to find a bunch of them "sunning" but what you're most likely to see is this:

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

This is ridiculous.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    All the ones I have encountered were smiling

Turtles are... special. You can go out and try to find a bunch of them "sunning" but what you're most likely to see is this:

Here ya go....

turtles are awesome. san francisco is trying to stop the puppy mills and animal mills, but what they are really doing is getting people to go across the bay to get there pets. why are they so stupid?
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

It's not like a fish is going to be much of a companion.

My dogs go just about everywhere I go and when I'm sitting here at the computer, at least one of them is right next to me on the floor.

Sometimes I think San Francisco is the pits. I was temporarily stationed on Treasure Island and crossed the bridge into San Francisco for a short time and I was told that I was in the land of fruits and nuts.

I like turtles.
    "Truth will win in the end. We just don't know when the end is. So we have to persevere." ― Carol Paul

Turtle Secks?

Some of them are sunning. Some of them are being violated.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Some of them are sunning. Some of them are being violated.
    Violated?

How do you know it wasn't consensual?

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Oh crap, now you've done it. ^^^

YouTube - The Parrot Sketch

PETA nazis must be behind this.

Total animal liberation! Make the sale of pets illegal so a black market that pops up which treats animals much worse appears!

this was the issue on The Cafferty File/Situation Room; and most of the sheeple agreed with this nonsense

YouTube - Zombie Kid Likes Turtles

First off, not one posting of this?

Second, I volunteer for a dog rescue and can understand this law, until I read that only 1 or 2 places in SF sell dogs and cats. I have never heard of an unwanted hamster epidemic. Hamsters are too easy to take care of that you forget you have one sometimes. I don't know what this says about the integrity of the people of SF when a hamster is too much to manage.

Third, does Gavin Newsom own an aquarium supply store?
    Don't taze me bro. Don't touch my junk. Don't tread on me.

Maybe you need a friend not into politics... http://saveadogrescue.com/ http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=TX1472