Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Lord of the Rings: A Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist Message

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotOne View Post
    There are so many ways to view this movie and espcially the books. Religously, politically, historically, esoterically, just for entertainment, etc. It's a story that can be dissected through many lenses. Most people haven't a clue the genius of the movie on so many levels.

Though it promotes One World Order (King Aragorn) more than libertarianism. Kings and freedom are like oil and water. I sure wasn't dissapponted when I looked at Tolkien's biography to see ties into the manipulator's of the One World Order. Just a couple of obvious clues: Son of a banker and appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire by Queen Elizabeth II.
    You must be reading the Spark Notes of Lord of the Rings..

One World Order?

Not even close.

At the end of the Return of the King he only seeks to reunite the ruined kingdom of the North, Arnor to the Kingdom of the South, Gondor. Which had been divided for many years.

He leaves much of Middle Earth alone. Breelands is still self-administered in a similar, albeit not exactly like the Shire. The other lands of Men, such as Dale and the Beornlings he leaves completely alone.
    He leaves Mordor alone, and he gives the only hospitable land, Nurn to the slaves of Mordor to keep as their own land.
    He never really occupies Harad or Umbar either, only defends from their incursions.

Gondor's society is relatively undefined, so while we know it is a monarchist society we know little on how Tolkien meant for it to be ordered. To that end I imagine he mainly used Gondor as a story-telling device when compared to the society of the Shire which he described in great detail.
    Last edited by Vessol; 07-04-2010 at 09:12 PM.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Lord of the Rings: A Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist Message
    See I've heard the complete opposite. I had heard a theory that Saruman and the Orcs represented an evil side of a capitalist society, one that does not care about the environment and one that wants to keep growing and expanding its power/wealth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vessol View Post
    You must be reading the Spark Notes of Lord of the Rings..

One World Order?

Not even close.

At the end of the Return of the King he only seeks to reunite the ruined kingdom of the North, Arnor to the Kingdom of the South, Gondor. Which had been divided for many years.

He leaves much of Middle Earth alone. Breelands is still self-administered in a similar, albeit not exactly like the Shire. The other lands of Men, such as Dale and the Beornlings he leaves completely alone.
    He leaves Mordor alone, and he gives the only hospitable land, Nurn to the slaves of Mordor to keep as their own land.
    He never really occupies Harad or Umbar either, only defends from their incursions.

Gondor's society is relatively undefined, so while we know it is a monarchist society we know little on how Tolkien meant for it to be ordered. To that end I imagine he mainly used Gondor as a story-telling device when compared to the society of the Shire which he described in great detail.
    Didn't Aragorn also take over the land that belonged to the Easterlings?
    Last edited by Flash; 07-05-2010 at 07:23 PM.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Ok, first of all property rights were blatantly criticized throughout the books. In fact, the whole book is about showing the inherent flaws of property rights. Case and point: the one ring clearly belonged to Sauron, but was stolen from him and subsequently destroyed despite his best efforts to recover it. So much for property rights...

Also if you go back to the Silmarillion, all of middle earth rightfully belonged to Melkor, but the Valar (government) came in and took everything from him.

Haha jk btw.
    Liberty is for all; privileges are for none.

I lol'ed.

Speaking of property rights, I wanted to make a quick addon that there is a specific mention of Frodo having to give the deed of Bag End to the Sacksville-Baggins, so the concept of private property is respected in the Shire.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post
    Didn't Aragorn also take over the land that belonged to the Easterlings?
    If I remember right, the land that he took back from the Haradim and the Easterlings was Gondor's original boundaries to begin with before those hostile forces took them.
    Last edited by Vessol; 07-09-2010 at 10:14 PM.
    "Resolve to serve no more, and you are at once freed. I do not ask that you place hands upon the tyrant to topple him over, but simply that you support him no longer; then you will behold him, like a great Colossus whose pedestal has been pulled away, fall of his own weight and break in pieces."-Étienne de La Boétie

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    You know which parts to skim through. Damn but there's a lot of pointless filler in those books!
    Now Melissa, I know that you know full well that the "filler" was not pointless. It all has a very good reason for being.

I think LOTR is based off the ancient indian stories mahabharata and kurukshetra war.When i read and watch the movies it reminds me of these stories.Some of these stories have been dated back 3000bc to 6000bc.Here a basic idea

YouTube - Purpose of Kurukshetra war

The north west india looks similar to the lotr map

Last edited by Srg1; 07-10-2010 at 01:42 AM.

'I wish it need not have happened in my time,' said Frodo. 'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12