Thread: Sunset for the Authorization for the Use of Military Force

Thumbs up Sunset for the Authorization for the Use of Military Force

Statement Introducing a Bill to Establish a Sunset for the
    Authorization for the Use of Military Force Against Iraq Resolution of 2002
    (Public Law 107-243)

June 7, 2007

Mr. Speaker, today I am introducing a bill to establish a sunset for the 2002 Authorization for the Use of Force Against Iraq (PL 107-243). There are several active pieces of legislation that would rescind the authorization to use force against Iraq , but the approach of this legislation is quite different. This legislation would sunset the original authorization six months after it is in enacted, which would give Congress plenty of time to consider anew the authority for Iraq.

The rationale for this sunset is that according to the 2002 authorization for Iraq , the president was authorized to use military force against Iraq to achieve the following two specific objectives only:

“(1) defend the national security of the United States against the continuing threat posed by Iraq ; and
    (2) enforce all relevant United Nations Security Council resolutions regarding Iraq ”

It should be obvious to both supporters and critics of our military action in Iraq that our military has achieved both legal objectives. Our military quickly removed the regime of Saddam Hussein, against whom the United Nations resolutions were targeted. And a government has been elected in post-Saddam Iraq that has met with US approval, fulfilling the first objective of the authorization.

With both objectives of the original authorization completely satisfied, Congress has a Constitutional obligation to revisit this issue and provide needed oversight and policy guidance. We ignore this obligation at risk to the United States and, very importantly, to our soldiers in harm’s way in Iraq .

Unlike other proposals, this bill does not criticize the president’s handling of the war. It does not cut off funds for the troops. Nor does this bill set a timetable for our withdrawal. I strongly believe that this legislation will enjoy broad support among both those in favor of our action in Iraq and those who favor ending the war, and I am encouraged by the bi-partisan support I have received when seeking original co-sponsors. Congress is obligated to consider anew the authority for Iraq sooner rather than later and I hope more of my colleagues will join me as co-sponsors of this legislation.

----

Also reported by http://www.hawaiireporter.com/story.aspx?00e3149a-79b9-...
    Under the legislation co-authored by Abercrombie and Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX), the original war authorization passed by Congress in October 2002 would expire 180 days from enactment of the bill, and a new authorization by Congress would be required to continue the war in Iraq.

“It should be obvious to supporters and critics of the war in Iraq that our military has achieved both objectives authorized in 2002: removal of Saddam Hussein and the establishment of a democratically-elected government,” said Paul, a senior member of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. “With both objectives of the original authorization completely satisfied, Congress has a Constitutional obligation to revisit this issue and provide needed oversight and policy guidance.”

“If President Bush believes the war in Iraq needs to continue, he would have six months to convince Congress and the American people that it should be authorized,” Abercrombie said. “This debate would be about the need and the wisdom of continuing the war, with no need for recriminations about who voted for what in 2002, whether we should have invaded Iraq in the first place, or how competently the war has been conducted for the last four years. Those issues would be off the table. The only question would be, ‘Where do we go from here?’”

“Unlike other proposals, this bill does not criticize the president’s handling of the war,” Paul pointed out. “It does not cut off funds for the troops, nor set a timetable for our withdrawal.”

Both Congressmen said the measure should be supported by those in favor of continued action in Iraq and those who favor ending the war. Bill co-sponsors include Reps. Walter Jones (R-NC), William Delahunt, Martin Meehan and Richard Neal (all D-MA), John Duncan (R-TN), Marci Kaptur (D-OH), Wayne Gilchrest (R-MD), Keith Ellison (D-MN), Michael Michaud (D-ME) and Nancy Boyda (D-KS).

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Awesome.. not only is this a great idea to possibly end the war, but Ron Paul would get a huge boost from anti-war democrats who realize that there own party couldn't come through to end it, but a smart, constitutional Republican congressman could.

Quote Originally Posted by hambone1982 View Post
    Word!
    No Doubt

I wonder why Dennis "we need to end this war" Kucinich didn't co-sponsor the bill? This is a brilliant idea and I hope it can gain some momentum in the House.

Nice

Nice move. It would be put up or shut up if it were to ever come to debate and a vote.

Wow, Ron is a genius. He single handedly solves the world’s problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry
    Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
    Democracy or Republic, Which is it?

My first contribution to the campaign

The Best Ron Paul Poster EVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erazmus View Post
    Wow, Ron is a genius. He single handedly solves the world’s problems.
    Unless Bush is as dumb as he sounds, he'll veto it. The GOPs must know they could never get an extension to this clause in 6 months. Too bad the Dems aren't brave enough to defund the war (or maybe they want it to continue until the election)

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

No

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Unless Bush is as dumb as he sounds, he'll veto it. The GOPs must know they could never get an extension to this clause in 6 months. Too bad the Dems aren't brave enough to defund the war (or maybe they want it to continue until the election)
    I am sure it would never get to the stage where GW can veto it. It will have to first go to comittee and doubt it would even make it out of there. That is where most of Ron Pauls bills have gone and died. I do like how he has found co-sponsors.

The democrats won't even go for this.

Awesome news. GPO hasn't sent the text of the bill to the LOC yet, but keep checking. The bill he's proposed is House Resolution 2605, so you can search HR2605 on http://thomas.loc.gov/ to find the info.
    mdh - mdh (at) lpwv (dot) org
    Libertarian Party of West Virginia Chairman

Quote Originally Posted by joshuastjohn View Post
    Pardon my ignorance. What's an MDH?