Thread: Anyone ever actually read Thomas Paine?

Anyone ever actually read Thomas Paine?

I picked up a book that has a compilation of his writings, "Common Sense" the "Crises", and "The Rights of Man" (I think there was another one in there, but I don't have the book with me, it's sitting on a desk at work so I can sneak in some reading when there's nothing going on ).

I never realized him to be quite so witty, but the last time I tried to read Paine's works, (years ago), it was all beyond my comprehension. I think you actually have to prep yourself with a liberty-mentality before attempting to read these books and get much out of them.

Reading his account of the French Revolution sets me on fire.

EDIT: Well, I meant to start a poll, but oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have a freshly new paperback of his compiled writings sitting in my room, it is on my reading list for this summer, along with dumas malone's six book biography of Thomas Jefferson.

It's been a great summer so far.
    Our greatest happiness does not depend on the condition of life in which chance has placed us, but is always the result of a good conscience, good health, occupation, and freedom in all just pursuits.
    --Thomas Jefferson

i have a very very old common sense printing.. it is a very good short read.

I also have the rights of man.

I consider Thomas Paine to be the father of all founding fathers.

Common Sense, a while ago. What's it to ya, OP?
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

I've only read "the Age of Reason" recently, but next on my list is the Rights of Man. I did read Common Sense when in school..it's been a long time though so I don't remember much

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Common Sense, a while ago. What's it to ya, OP?
    Just feeling a bit inspired.

Drawing parallels between the time of Thomas Paine and the time of Ron Paul, and seeing the shocking similarities. Knowing that our cause can win because it has won before. —That sort of stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by silentshout View Post
    I've only read "the Age of Reason" recently, but next on my list is the Rights of Man. I did read Common Sense when in school..it's been a long time though so I don't remember much
    The Age of Reason is GENIUS & IMPRESSIVE.

One of my favorite anti-Christian books, and probably the best at its time.

For those too lazy to read : LISTEN TO IT FOR FREE.

http://librivox.org/the-age-of-reason-by-thomas-paine/
    http://librivox.org/common-sense-by-thomas-paine/

I tried, but couldn't get through it sad to say.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I have read "Common Sense" and "The Age of Reason".

If you are religious don't read "The Age of Reason" if you are Atheist then it is a must. It's not really against God but more against organized religion. But none the less it's highly controversial. He wrote the first part of the book then was locked up in prison in France I think then wrote the later portion after he got out.
    Dishonest money makes for dishonest people.

Andrew Napolitano, John Stossel. FOX News Liberty Infiltrators.

Quote Originally Posted by Inkblots View Post
    Dr. Paul is living rent-free in the minds of the neocons, and for a fiscal conservative, free rent is always a good thing
    NOBP ≠ ABO

Quote Originally Posted by roho76 View Post
    I have read "Common Sense" and "The Age of Reason".

If you are religious don't read "The Age of Reason" if you are Atheist then it is a must. It's not really against God but more against organized religion.
    Exactly!

But none the less it's highly controversial. He wrote the first part of the book then was locked up in prison in France I think then wrote the later portion after he got out.

People who think the Founding Fathers were Christians should read The Age of Reason.

Ive read Common Sense, but I really want to read the other stuff. I heard one of his works advocates a crude form of welfare?
    Interested in politics? Check out Red Racing Horses for daily updates on electoral politics, redistricting, and the presidential campaigns.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rnado View Post
    People who think the Founding Fathers were Christians should read The Age of Reason.
    It's true throughout history, that no group was of a uniformed ideology.

Nazis weren't all Christians (especially after you count SS, SA, Stormtroopers, and German military)
    Founding Fathers weren't all in agreement with Jefferson (Hamilton to start)
    Tea Partiers are the modern example of how diverse opinions make strange bedfellows.
    Not all anti-Zionists are pro-Muslim.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz View Post
    I tried, but couldn't get through it sad to say.
    found it boring? or annoying? if boring, listening to audiobook may help.

Quote Originally Posted by t0rnado View Post
    Actually a large majority of the founders WERE Christian. The fact is that most textbooks and people look only at the few that were not Christian (or at least deists) such as Ben Franklin, John Adams, Thomas Paine, and Jefferson. You do not hear as much about other, very religious founders, such as Patrick Henry, Dr. Benjamin Rush, George Mason, Samuel Adams, John Handcock, Roger Sherman, and many others. As a matter of fact Paine, who had previously been very popular in America, was shuned for the Age of Reason. They even revocked his citizenship. David Bartlett (The guy that was on the Glen Beck show last Friday during the Black Founder show) has a great dvd series about this very subject.

...And Yes I have read the Age of Reason, Common Sense, and Rights of Man.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

Common Spense years ago

-t

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.