Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tesla IPO! Suckers any?

Tesla IPO! Suckers any?

expected to lose money until 2012? Don't let you conscience be your guide!

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...c-cars-future/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah...this is bad--you get a crap-ton of government subsidies and you STILL are on the verge of failing.

In any event, it may be worth investing in, but given the price of their vehicles...I don't think this will bode well.

Lol definitely a long term stock to hold onto if you're willing to risk a significant amount of money.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete."

This could certainly be one of the companies in which i'll put my money in when gold tops out. If they survive that long, that is. They are very innovative, check out the slick design of the model S, the technology is exponentially rising and the CEO is basically a genius. Plus with the economy improving in 5 years from now, oil will only rise, and electric is pretty much the only viable alternative out there. Hoping to buy it in a few years at 500 shares/ounce.

Quote Originally Posted by fatjohn View Post
    Plus with the economy improving in 5 years from now, oil will only rise, and electric is pretty much the only viable alternative out there. Hoping to buy it in a few years at 500 shares/ounce.
    As much as Tesla's cars cost, the people who can afford them can certainly afford oil too, probably at any price.

I'm more interested in what Toyota/Ford bring out. They're already well established, well financed firms with plenty of earned brand loyalty. Plus, I'm sure their electric cars will cost just pennies on the dollar to Tesla's high end models.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    As much as Tesla's cars cost, the people who can afford them can certainly afford oil too, probably at any price.
    No kidding, people who buy hybrids today can afford the gas too.

People who drive veggie cars, not so much, but they risk messing up their car with the construction.

I'm more interested in what Toyota/Ford bring out. They're already well established, well financed firms with plenty of earned brand loyalty. Plus, I'm sure their electric cars will cost just pennies on the dollar to Tesla's high end models.
    yep. which makes why tesla started as an independent company a mystery

Wonder how much of that cash is going to pay accumulated dividends on the preferred that likely got converted to common and if the bookrunners will exercise their greenshoe (if there is one) based on where the stock goes.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

[/QUOTE]the CEO is basically a genius[QUOTE]

a genius would have never allowed himself to become ensnared into a government abyss.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting: http://www.teslamotors.com/media/press_room.php?id=2509

I would have seriously considered the sedan (freakin' GORGEOUS + performance) if it and, more importantly, service had been available in TX. I love the electric aspect, it is an American company, etc., etc.

The people who 'can afford oil' need to be the people who vote their $$$ in alternatives such as these, imho...

'Course, I wound up buying a big stonkin' V8 of a Hyundai Genesis, so don't listen to me. (I figured it to be my last chance to have a luxe v-8 sedan, the next vehicle will be a gas-sipper/EV, and I generally ride a motorcycle to work)

I've been following the electric car industry for some time. Tesla is a good company in that they actually understand and embrace capitalism. Any other electric vehicle company is usually all flash, putting together a prototype and then touring the country talking about how they're going to do great things, grid-tie, carbon footprint, etc. They get invited to all of the cool environmentalist parties, they get interviewed within the green echo chamber and enjoy the notoriety of it all...but then the company goes nowhere, they create an ugly monster that nobody would ever want to drive and it has no performance whatsoever.

Electric cars are inevitable. When battery capacity doubles every 5 years or so it'll go from an average of 100 miles per charge to 200 to 400, etc...getting to the point that you can drive across the country on just one charge.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Update: the Tesla IP happened. According to Zero Hedge "Disaster"

Traded as high as $30, but settled at $17.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/tesla-ipo-disaster
    Ready to find a new job or change careers? Visit http://www.jobwaltz.com for premium job search assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashertm View Post
    Update: the Tesla IP happened. According to Zero Hedge "Disaster"

Traded as high as $30, but settled at $17.

http://www.zerohedge.com/article/tesla-ipo-disaster
    Let's put that in context...

ZeroHedge is full of conspiracy theorists so out of their mind they make RPF look sane.

Let's put that in context...

ZeroHedge is full of conspiracy theorists so out of their mind they make RPF look sane.
    Looks like ZH isn't alone on this one

"Headline: Tesla shares slump below IPO price as investors bail

Investors who bought Tesla Motors Inc.’s initial public stock offering last week thought they had a hot one.

They did -- for a day and a half. But it has been all downhill since.

Shares of the electric sports car maker plunged for a third straight session Tuesday as investors bailed out, pushing the stock below the IPO price of $17."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...elon-musk.html
    Ready to find a new job or change careers? Visit http://www.jobwaltz.com for premium job search assistance.

Looks like ZH isn't alone on this one

"Headline: Tesla shares slump below IPO price as investors bail

Investors who bought Tesla Motors Inc.’s initial public stock offering last week thought they had a hot one.

They did -- for a day and a half. But it has been all downhill since.

Shares of the electric sports car maker plunged for a third straight session Tuesday as investors bailed out, pushing the stock below the IPO price of $17."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/mone...elon-musk.html

Sure, the stock bombed after nearly doubling the value that Tesla assigned to itself. The company literally doubled in value in 48 hours and you don't expect a correction?

Besides, Tesla generated tens of millions more than it expected with its IPO in one of the worst recessions in American history. That's pretty freakin' good.

Sure, the stock bombed after nearly doubling the value that Tesla assigned to itself. The company literally doubled in value in 48 hours and you don't expect a correction?

Besides, Tesla generated tens of millions more than it expected with its IPO in one of the worst recessions in American history. That's pretty freakin' good.
    Why are you so defensive on this IPO? What price did you buy your Tesla shares at?

According to this - Tesla priced the stock at $17. Now it's trading at $17.26

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-ceo-musk.html

Why are you so defensive on this IPO? What price did you buy your Tesla shares at?

First, I didn't buy any Tesla stock. I posted this earlier in this thread:

"As much as Tesla's cars cost, the people who can afford them can certainly afford oil too, probably at any price.

I'm more interested in what Toyota/Ford bring out. They're already well established, well financed firms with plenty of earned brand loyalty. Plus, I'm sure their electric cars will cost just pennies on the dollar to Tesla's high end models."

----

I'm just saying that Tesla's IPO was not a failure and was not at all a "disaster." They raised 27% more cash than planned.

These are ZeroHedge headlines...they love to beat up any company that doesn't sell metals.
    Last edited by Jordan; 07-06-2010 at 09:55 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    First, I didn't buy any Tesla stock. I posted this earlier in this thread:

"As much as Tesla's cars cost, the people who can afford them can certainly afford oil too, probably at any price.

I'm more interested in what Toyota/Ford bring out. They're already well established, well financed firms with plenty of earned brand loyalty. Plus, I'm sure their electric cars will cost just pennies on the dollar to Tesla's high end models."

----

I'm just saying that Tesla's IPO was not a failure and was not at all a "disaster." They raised 27% more cash than planned.

These are ZeroHedge headlines...they love to beat up any company that doesn't sell metals.

Teslas are supposed to be incredible vehicles.

I see electric vehicle being the future, although I think it's a little to early to bet the farm on them...but who knows technology in this sector of the economy appears to be developing rapidly. If Tesla survives the next few years (somehow) it might not be a bad investment. Too risky for me though.

The technology has a long way to go before being commercially viable. Hybrids are the logical stepping stone toward full on electric vehicles with small engines to regenerate batteries for long trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Aerow View Post
    I see electric vehicle being the future,
    I'd say part of the future. I still think the combustible engine will be the first choice due to it's ease if refueling. I'm not saying putting a plug into an outlet is difficult rather it's time consuming and I'm not so sure what would happen if everyone gets home and plugs their car in at the same time to our power grids.

I think algae oil and hydrogen make for some interesting solutions. They also with their fair share of problems, but conceivably easier to refuel which in my opinion makes them a more viable solution.

The future is a mystery, I'm not sure we'll see a definitive answer in our lifetimes if one technology will prevail the was fossil fuels have. Of course given the nature of governments maybe we will.
    Libertarians - trying to improve the world through ideas and free markets rather than legislation and prisons.

Fuel Cell will win out very very soon.....before 2012... Tesla will never be profitable
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Yah, that's a real "disaster"

This isn't 1999, nobody expects an IPO to quadruple its intial offering price in 24 to 48 hours..

Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Yah, that's a real "disaster"

This isn't 1999, nobody expects an IPO to quadruple its intial offering price in 24 to 48 hours..
    I guess it was just a disaster for the suckers that bought it at $30+ and held it.

I’m surprised by the hate for Tesla on here. They're an innovative company who are bringing something new to the table instead sitting around maintaining the status quo like GM and Chrysler.

There aren't any electric cars that can even hold a candle to the performance or range of Tesla's cars, not to mention their styling. 300 miles on 1 charge?! How many people do you know that drive more than 300 miles in a day, let alone, a week? The power and performance from their engine is comparable to any luxury car that the Model-S would be competing with.

Personally, I see this as the car of the future. 300 miles on 1 charge is their capacity right now but if this company performs anything like their Silicon Valley counter parts then we'll see vast improvements to this in a short period of time.

The only real draw back that I see right now is not being able to travel long distances. It’s possible to do a 45 min charge at the moment but the infrastructure doesn’t support it yet. My only solution for long distance travel would be renting a gas powered car till the battery technology and infrastructure catches up.
    Last edited by Fr3shjive; 09-22-2010 at 06:38 PM.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr3shjive View Post
    I’m surprised by the hate for Tesla on here. They're an innovative company who are bringing something new to the table instead sitting around maintaining the status quo like GM and Chrysler.

There aren't any electric cars that can even hold a candle to the performance or range of Tesla's cars, not to mention their styling. 300 miles on 1 charge?! How many people do you know that drive more than 300 miles in a day, let alone, a week? The power and performance from their engine is comparable to any luxury car that the Model-S would be competing with.

Personally, I see this as the car of the future. 300 miles on 1 charge is their capacity right now but if this company performs anything like their Silicon Valley counter parts then we'll see vast improvements to this in a short period of time.

The only real draw back that I see right now is not being able to travel long distances. It’s possible to do a 45 min charge at the moment but the infrastructure doesn’t support it yet. My only solution for long distance travel would be renting a gas powered car till the battery technology and infrastructure catches up.
    The main problem with Tesla is receives a lot of subsidies from the US govt.

The main problem with Tesla is receives a lot of subsidies from the US govt.
    Thats pretty much a given for anybody in the car business. You're operating at a disadvantage if you're not getting subsidies from the govt.

Im not condoning it but it is what it is. Either way, I think Tesla is the auto company of the future. While the big three are hanging on to the 100 year old technology of the internal combustion engine Tesla will continue to innovate their batteries and the technology they use in their cars. Think the innovation of Silicon valley applied to the auto industry.

The big 3 can barely survive on their own with out govt bail outs. With Tesla ready to change the entire auto industry Im pretty sure they'll be a thing of the past.
    Last edited by Fr3shjive; 09-22-2010 at 09:26 PM.

Why did they use LiIon instead of LiPo?

LiPo offers a much higher charge (re: amps, however - can't match mAh generally) for the volume and costs roughly the same cost, but this can be corrected simply by operating the batteries in parallel. I understand they're difficult (relatively............. but not really -- a reliable LiIon charger costs about $20, but a reliable LiPo charger costs about $60+ ---- This is consumer-grade batteries, though) to charge, but I don't really understand the advantages of using a LiIon battery for a car.

Li-Ion is an awkward old technology I think most would agree is on its way out. Admittedly, I'm actually having trouble finding a reasonably-priced power inverter for my LiPo batteries (not that it's relevant), but I can't imagine why anyone would prefer LiIon, esp. for something torque-hungry like a car.

I think we might be able to expect alot more affordable cars than tesla has in mind.

Check out these guys:http://www.progressiveautoxprize.org/

If they can get them out soon they will sell a lot around the San Francisco bay area alone.

It is an idea thats time has come. They have the range for most commuters and we have a lot of room on the power grid late at night to have it charged up for the next day.

They are located in Fremont, California in the old NUMMI plant .

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_1...nclick_check=1

I wish them all the luck.
    Last edited by Carson; 09-22-2010 at 08:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr3shjive View Post
    Thats pretty much a given for anybody in the car business. You're operating at a disadvantage if you're not getting subsidies from the govt.

Im not condoning it but it is what it is. Either way, I think Tesla is the auto company of the future. While the big three are hanging on to the 100 year old technology of the internal combustion engine Tesla will continue to innovate their batteries and the technology they use in their cars. Think the innovation of Silicon valley applied to the auto industry.

The big 3 can barely survive on their own with out govt bail outs. With Tesla ready to change to the entire auto industry Im pretty sure they'll be a thing of the past.
    As we have seen with Microsoft vs. everyone in the operating system space, there's so much more to consider than mere technical superiority.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast