Thread: Hit Piece?....it's lame regardless...

Hit Piece?....it's lame regardless...

http://www.reuters.com/article/blogB...YFzDsa7MJ1CblL

Thought some of you would like to read this. I suppose we should expect much more of 'em to come down the pipe.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    When "progressive" types call paleoconservative groups "extremists" etc, they do not understand that they are signing their own warrants. It is the paleos who want to protect their rights-- not the neocons these lefties consider the only non-"extremist" right wing.

I have been battling this same argument on a local forum for a couple of weeks now...

Quoted from that article.

While I sympathize with Paul’s opposition to the war and some of his other positions, his absurd claim that “The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers” prevents me from considering him as a candidate, or believing his rhetoric of being a strict defender of the Constitution. Paul has supported keeping “under God” in the Pledge of Allegiance, has co-sponsored the school prayer amendment, and supported keeping the Ten Commandments on a courthouse lawn.

BTW, I am totally neutral on the subject of religion other than defending everyones right to believe as we choose.

I also think an accurate understanding of our history and heritage is essential to charting our course for the future. Therefore I submit this awesome exhibit on the Library of Congress web site.

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel06.html

Quoting from PART 2

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/religion/rel06-2.html

It is no exaggeration to say that on Sundays in Washington during the administrations of Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809) and of James Madison (1809-1817) the state became the church. Within a year of his inauguration, Jefferson began attending church services in the House of Representatives. Madison followed Jefferson's example, although unlike Jefferson, who rode on horseback to church in the Capitol, Madison came in a coach and four.

Mr. Separation of Church and State attending Sunday service in the House of Representatives?

The conclusion from the author of the exhibit.

Jefferson was apparently declaring his opposition, as Madison had done in introducing the Bill of Rights, to a "national" religion. In attending church services on public property, Jefferson and Madison consciously and deliberately were offering symbolic support to religion as a prop for republican government.

Do I believe that this means Ron Paul has a hidden Christian agenda? Not at all, just that he has an accurate understanding of the unrevised history or our Federation.

i am very much an atheist but for a while i have been critical of the so-called "new atheist" such as sam harris and richard dawkins - an extremely aggressive group that thinks religion is the cause of all evil in society.

"You know not what you are given, but forever will you know what has been taken away from you..."

"As long as we live beyond our means we are destined to live beneath our means." - Ron Paul at a CNBC Debate in Michigan (10/09/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Slugg View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/blogB...YFzDsa7MJ1CblL

Thought some of you would like to read this. I suppose we should expect much more of 'em to come down the pipe.
    Ask the super-racist Louis Farrakhan who he's gonna endorse. Ask the poverty pimps Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, etc, the two most racist black men (against their own) who they are going to endorse. Anyone here think it will be a Republican?
    We elect our own oppressors.