Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I feel like I have no future... No idea what career I want...

I hear the TSA is hiring gropers, er, screeners...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm gonna second go to pharmacy school. If you can get it in it's pretty easy. In 6 years the minimum you could get done probably you'll be making 140-150k annually + benefits depending on where you live exactly. Also, if you hate it... you can work 2 days a week and make 50k and live. Also, you have access to drugs which in a SHTF situation is a major bargaining tool

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    I am 23.

For as long as I can remember I have never had an answer to the question "what do you want to do when you grow up?".
    You're not alone. I'm 52 and still have no answer. My sister died last year @ 66 and she had no answer. She left 4 children and 9 grandchildren and a husband behind, as well as a life that was, to my eyes, immeasurably happy. That should tell you something.

I don't want to be in college for 3 more years... I hate it.
    Then quit. Nobody is forcing you to suffer this.

I can just barely motivate myself to attend non poli sci classes that I have no interest in.
    At least you realize the motivation comes from within. Many do not. Consider yourself ahead of the game on this point.

When I was going for my ed. degree at CCNY we had to take "black studies". Having grown up in $#@! black neighborhoods, the last thing I wanted was to sit for a semester in a class that was most likely to do nothing more than glorify the black man, demonize the white, and waste 15 weeks of my life. I tried everything I could think of to weasel out - I was 24 or 25 at the time - but met the wall. Realizing there was no way out, I saw that I had a choice to make: I could be miserable for 15 weeks or I could man up, take possession of myself, be responsible for myself and decide that I would find something, even if only a single thing, interesting in the class. As it turned out, the class was quite good and I made plenty of waves in openly questioning the standard phony baloney memes about race, "racism", and so on that accompanies almost any "black" issue in the USA. I walked away with an 'A' and 15 weeks of not having been in hell.

May I respectfully offer that if you choose to stay in school, you have the self-same opportunity to shape your experience to make it what YOU decide it will be, rather than being at its mercy. I spent four years split between USC and UC Davis toiling in misery through a triple major in engineering, math, and physics. By the time I was done I thought of nothing but whether I would have the balls to kill myself. THAT is how miserable I was, at 22. The onus of it all rested squarely with me, but I could not see it. My tunnel vision said I had to do this or I was worth nothing. That is not a good place to be, so I offer you my own experience that perhaps you will do better than I did on this account and not waste your time.

You need to sit alone, in a quiet, dimly lit room, with a glass of wine or beer or whatever it is that gets you loosey goosey, and you need to meditate on what it is that floats your boat. I've read some of your posts. You're a smart cookie. Use those good brains in finding those things that float your boat. When you find them, pursue them and never, ever, look back.

I despise math and just barely squeaked past statistics with a C.
    You will not be great in all subjects. You will have to accept that this is OK.

I easily ace my political science classes and love those but they consist of maybe 20% of the classes I have to take...
    Don't you have free electives?

I am working part time at a local electronics store where I make about 15$ an hour which is enough for me to pay my bills (apartment rent, food etc)
    Be glad. I have 7 degrees and have not seen a paycheck in three years. McDonald's would not hire me to work counter or be a manager (I have held more than $250 MILLION in P&L responsibility). The Charleston Marriot turned me down as a DISH WASHER. Trust me, you are doing just fine.

I am a good salesman but don't enjoy it.
    OK, then you know this is not a career path for you. This is EXCELLENT information. Be glad you know this. Many people don't wake up to it until after they have been doing it 25 years. THOSE people have something to feel poorly about.

I am good with computers but worked as an IT guy for 1 year and hated dealing with people that were completely computer illiterate, also I enjoy playing video games on the computer and having my day job consist of being on the computer made me no longer want to have anything to do with my hobby on the computer once I got home, which sucked.
    More valuable information. You don't want to deal with illiterates - OK. You don't want your hobby to become work. This is all really good information. Write it all down so you have something to come back to and will not forget.

The only thing I have ever really thought would be "cool" was back in the day I wanted to be a cop...

The problem now is my injury from the USAF that isn't something couldn't be overcome but would be difficult; however the bigger issue for me now is that I could never partake in the war on drugs...
    Then you know you do not REALLY want to be a cop. That's one of those "in for a penny, in for a pound" jobs.

Do as I say. Get in that quiet, comfy room and work this thing out. In the meanwhile you go to work and cop a different attitude about school. If college really is not your thing, leave. It is not for everyone and the fact that so many kids are going who do not belong there is testament to the shameful nature of parents and stoopid culture.

You are young. Make the most of it because I promise you that it is going to go by in a blur and suddenly you will be 52, wondering where the years went.

I don't know the nature of your injuries or where you live, but you may want to try yoga, some martial arts including Taichi. Maybe a good Chinese docter could help. If you are in the NYC area, I can direct you to my doctor, Chen. Excellent for certain sorts of things.

Find what rocks you world and go after it. It is not likely to show up at your door, knocking.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

I'm 31 and I pretty much work at Initech.
    Don't taze me bro. Don't touch my junk. Don't tread on me.

Maybe you need a friend not into politics... http://saveadogrescue.com/ http://www.petfinder.com/pet-search?shelter_id=TX1472

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Find 2 or 3 different consecutive goals that all complement each other, and are all useful by themselves.

For example, if you want a law degree, (which first requires a bachelors) start with a 17 hour paralegal credit course, which gets you a quick certificate and something to put on a resume and maybe get a job. Those 17 hours also will apply to a paralegal bachelors....your next step...now you have increased to a bachelors and can get a better paying job for while your in law school.

Or if you want a Architectural degree, start with a certificate in something like carpentry...you can quickly improve your skills and job marketability while studying things relevant to your future career

By breaking things up into smaller steps you make it easier to progress as you are rewarded quicker, but since the steps all complement each other, you are not really putting all your eggs in one basket.

Also, start with the classes you enjoy, and save the few ones you hate (like math) for the end. Once you are that close to completing a degree you will be more motivated to finish the difficult courses.
    Last edited by Rael; 11-26-2010 at 11:31 AM.

that's some good advice too ^^

P.S. while you're trying to decide what you want to do, you could look for internships or volunteer in fields that seem appealing to you.
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 11-26-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123