Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I feel like I have no future... No idea what career I want...

Unhappy I feel like I have no future... No idea what career I want...

I am 23.

For as long as I can remember I have never had an answer to the question "what do you want to do when you grow up?".

Disillusioned with gen ed at my community college I joined the USAF.

I was injured in training and now I am back home @ community college working towards a poli sci degree that as of right now would take me another 3 years to complete minimum due to the number of required classes that have to be taken in order (ie:foreign language req).

I don't want to be in college for 3 more years... I hate it.

I can just barely motivate myself to attend non poli sci classes that I have no interest in.

I despise math and just barely squeaked past statistics with a C.

I easily ace my political science classes and love those but they consist of maybe 20% of the classes I have to take...

I am working part time at a local electronics store where I make about 15$ an hour which is enough for me to pay my bills (apartment rent, food etc)

I am a good salesman but don't enjoy it.

I am good with computers but worked as an IT guy for 1 year and hated dealing with people that were completely computer illiterate, also I enjoy playing video games on the computer and having my day job consist of being on the computer made me no longer want to have anything to do with my hobby on the computer once I got home, which sucked.

The only thing I have ever really thought would be "cool" was back in the day I wanted to be a cop...

The problem now is my injury from the USAF that isn't something couldn't be overcome but would be difficult; however the bigger issue for me now is that I could never partake in the war on drugs...

I also think I would end up being that cop that calls for backup and never gets it because at some point I take a stand for what's right and in the process piss off my "buddies".

I just don't know what to do...

/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    For as long as I can remember I have never had an answer to the question "what do you want to do when you grow up?".
    /
    Reason, I know they may sound trite, but you are lucky. Many people don't even stop to ask what they want to be. Life just happens to them. The very fact that you're asking these questions means that you're above that crowd.

From your post you could say that these are things you enjoy/are good at: Political science, IT/Computers

And things you aren't good at or don't enjoy: Being in college (studying for a degree?), Math

I guess that gives you a good starting point. Do you think you have what it takes to run a business / be self-employed?

/
    you actually have a lot going for you and you just don't know how to appreciate it.

I got no advice for people who have skills, talent and assets they just need to use if they're willing to.

I can't tell you to make best use of your time, skills and just save some money for yourself. If you'd rather not have a job at all, help yourself. Some people need a lot of beating and disappointment to get their head straight, let's hope you smarten up without it.

If I can make it any more clear, here goes :

Make your pick, focus on school and sit on a degree, or work more, and save up some money. Worry about the future later, now is not the time to waste time "thinking" about it, everything you do now is a small investment for later (you can't afford to waste time, so don't procrastinate).

You'll blame yourself later for making some mistakes, but thank yourself that you did SOMETHING. At worst you'll think you wasted some effort, but it's all minor compared to doing nothing.

Don't do stupid things, don't gamble. You'll be OK.

//
    Last edited by Danke; 07-02-2010 at 04:37 AM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

He'll need math (particularly statistics) if he wants to be a successful businessman. Running evaluations of your marketing techniques is a critical business operation. A lot of people don't understand that the other classes are required for a reason. If you don't have a rounded education, your specialty will be useless. The trick is to discuss with your Political Science advisors and teachers how the other classes relate to political science. Statistics is the basis for running political polling assessing the opinions of the greater population using a selected sample, so that is an easy one to understand its value to political science.

Considering that politicians make policy on all manner of subjects, I personally want my representatives to be as well versed in a variety of topics as possible so they can know just how much they don't know. Too many Lawyers in particular think they know everything, but in truth they know so little.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Stop wasting your time taking political "science" classes. Drop out of school and start an apprenticeship in a skilled trade such as carpentry, masonry, or electrical line work.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Youre 23.. believe it or not.. by 25 things will just sort of click for you and youll know what you want to do.

a career is usually a means to an end. in order words, I don't buy into eveyone needing to love your career to be happy. find something that you are good at. you love poly sci, you are on these forums. how about becoming a history teacher? you can help your students become free thinkers and weed through the propaganda to really understand american history - not just memorize verbatim the bull$#@! that the rockefellers put into the mandatory text books.

I liked JJ Luna's "How to Be Invisible" book. He has an e-book (which I have not read): "Skip College: Go Into Business For Yourself."

Here's the website: http://www.canaryislandspress.com/in...self/index.htm

I found this review:
    http://codenameinsight.blogspot.com/...-business.html

It looks like the book may be available through various torrent downloads. I never really got into that thing.

If you end up reading it, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon View Post
    Stop wasting your time taking political "science" classes. Drop out of school and start an apprenticeship in a skilled trade such as carpentry, masonry, or electrical line work.
    That's why I'm getting my Class D Security Guard License. College was wasted on me cause, quite frankly, no one pays for History degrees. A skilled trade or other 'licensed' job is probably going to be more secure in the long run.
    "Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Μολὼν λάβε

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mitrosky View Post
    Youre 23.. believe it or not.. by 25 things will just sort of click for you and youll know what you want to do.
    This. I'm 28. I just figured out what I want to do. Important thing is to just keep trying until you find it. Even if that means treading water for a while.

Go to Pharmacy School

At this time in history, I'd recommend a triple major. Farming, carpentry, and weaponry. If you're so inclined, add something from the medical field.
    Follow my blog at http://tirelessagorist.blogspot.com/
    Current commentary from a libertarian/voluntaryist/agorist perspective.

Consistent Candidate - with Chainspell

Ron Paul Landslide by Jake Kellen - Constitution Mix

The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I'm not sure where you live but in my county I only see jobs paying $7 to $9 per hour.

$15 is decent here right now depending on how far you commute.

Funny thing is that I was a computer guy myself and now I'm a truck driver.

It pays more than I could make doing anything else around here.

I hated college and I would never go into debt for it again.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Teaching a poli sci class or history class is one thing that I have considered.

I am concerned with two main issues with that particular career,

1. Would I be able to teach real history? Would I be locked in a constant battle with public school administration?

2. Would I be upset when 10% of the class actually shows interest in learning about history?

hmmmm

Yup

This^

Or welding, locksmithing, plumbing, auto/diesel repair, sewing, etc. Get a skill that people in a broken economy will need.

Ain't gonna need sociologists, political scientists, or teachers of same. Or lawyers (the career I pursued and now regret).
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    This^

Or welding, locksmithing, plumbing, auto/diesel repair, sewing, etc. Get a skill that people in a broken economy will need.

Ain't gonna need sociologists, political scientists, or teachers of same. Or lawyers (the career I pursued and now regret).
    The concern I have with some of these jobs is that they are hurting hardcore right now due to illegal immigration pushing their wages very low.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate-ForLiberty View Post
    This. I'm 28. I just figured out what I want to do. Important thing is to just keep trying until you find it. Even if that means treading water for a while.
    I figured out what I wanted to do quite some time ago Of course, I've only recently figured out what I want to do "in the future." Going from job to job has been a lot of fun, provided me with a lot of skills, and generally gotten me out of a work environment just before the bull$#@! got unbearable. It's good stuff (for me). Now I have a little bit more of a plan.

"What do you want to be when you grow up?" is a dumb question. Some people know early on, and they seem to shoot straight through school to their desired career, do great, and all that jazz. Most people have no clue what they want to be or do other than wanting to make money, and as a bonus have it be doing what they want to do. Get into a job, any job, for a little while and see what you like and dislike about it. If you feel you're too invested in school to simply ditch it, then find an internship or offer to work with one of your favorite professors for free and no credit. Do some research for them, anything.

The thing I'll offer as advice based on your last post, though, is to reconsider teaching. If you are already this disillusioned and seeing so much trouble in that career/field, it's not likely you'll be much better off when middle age sets in and you've seen your dozenth group of clueless, unmotivated 90%-ers grace your classroom.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Acala View Post
    This^

Despite your assertions, freedom-related publications, websites, books, banners, signs, and other materials still need proofreading I do very well in this kind of environment.

If the SHTF, I have other skills to survive with, but that's another matter, and I won't be concerned with pay at that point. The dollar will be fancy printed toilet paper.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

The concern I have with some of these jobs is that they are hurting hardcore right now due to illegal immigration pushing their wages very low.

Thoughts?
    No they're not. Illegal immigrants usually do unskilled labor. Most of the careers for skilled labor are protected by unions and the employees make a killing. I have a friend my age (26) who just finished his 4 year apprenticeship as a lineman...now he's making 90k/year with great pension+ benefits.

And if the unions eventually crumble you still have the skill you learned, and there will always be some demand for it. In 10 years or so you have the option of combining your skill with some business sense and going at it on your own...with potential huge rewards.

Question

No they're not. Illegal immigrants usually do unskilled labor. Most of the careers for skilled labor are protected by unions and the employees make a killing. I have a friend my age (26) who just finished his 4 year apprenticeship as a lineman...now he's making 90k/year with great pension+ benefits.

And if the unions eventually crumble you still have the skill you learned, and there will always be some demand for it. In 10 years or so you have the option of combining your skill with some business sense and going at it on your own...with potential huge rewards.
    What are your thoughts on this plumbers complaints in this video?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=250655

Go abroad and teach. See the world. Pick up some languages.

These people below will place you in a private international school where English is spoken regardless of the country's language.

The money is usually very good. The students are usually very rich so you can supplement your income through tutoring or side teaching (guitar, English etc). Many countries in the Middle East or Asia charge international teachers NO income tax meaning you can SAVE TONS.

Hell, even Germany will allow you to stay and teach two years and get ALL your social security AND income tax RETURNED if you stay no longer than two. We are talking easily 10,000 plus EUROS on the way out--after earning a decent wage while working and travelling Europe on the MANY breaks.

Check out some of the international teaching fairs. The biggest one is below.

http://www.searchassociates.com/asso.../fair_info.cfm
    Those Who Do Not Move, Do Not Notice Their Chains.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Have you considered internet marketing, and entrepreneurship?
    "One of the great victories of the state, is that the word "Anarchy" terrifies people but, the word "State" does not" - Tom Woods

Quote Originally Posted by ClayTrainor View Post
    Have you considered internet marketing, and entrepreneurship?
    I really don't know how I would break into that tbh

future wages

Thoughts?
    Everyone's wages will be low. But prices will be low as well. If you have a useful skill you will do okay once the underground economy stabilizes. Anyway, consider the alternative - no work at all. Or a job on a government farm paid in Obama Bucks.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Despite your assertions, freedom-related publications, websites, books, banners, signs, and other materials still need proofreading I do very well in this kind of environment.

If the SHTF, I have other skills to survive with, but that's another matter, and I won't be concerned with pay at that point. The dollar will be fancy printed toilet paper.
    I have no opinion about proofreading as an underground skill since I have not really thought about it. It certainly involves producing a tangible product that people are willing to pay for by choice, which makes it much better than being an attorney, for example. I suspect that at first the underground economy will consist of trade in goods and services that are needed for survival but will quickly expand out from there.

competition

What are your thoughts on this plumbers complaints in this video?

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=250655
    I would say that he needs to compete. If he can do a better job than the other guy - illegal or not - then he can charge more. If he can't, he shouldn't be paid more.

I also, frankly, doubt that he can only get $10 an hour as a plumber.

Legal and illegal immigration do push wages lower. But it effects very specific areas. Some jobs are not effected at all, some jobs Americans can hardly get. Most jobs are filled by association (word of mouth, who knows who). If a new immigrant gets a job in gardening, and they recommend their brother for a job, he will become a gardener too. Before long, these guys are in charge of hiring, and they only bring in more friends, relatives, fellow villagers, etc. After a while, only these people have the gardening jobs, but they are very concentrated in that particular job area. It's one of the reasons so many people don't care about this issue. "So what if all the kitchen staff are underpaid immigrants, I am not personally effected. And who cares about the steel industry being outsourced. I am not a steel worker, and my job is great."

Bottom line: Choose a profession where cheaper imported labor has not penetrated the market. How do you find out? Go to a lot of actual jobs sites where the work you want to try is being done. See who is actually doing the work.

Also, a lot of people have the times of their lives going to foreign countries to teach English...like someone said, it can be good money and you get to see the world.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast