Thread: Let's straighten out this Jones Act thing

Exclamation Let's straighten out this Jones Act thing

From LRC Blog:

According to news reports, corporations from more than a dozen different countries with extensive experience and technological know-how regarding the clean-up of oil spills have offered to help but have been told to get lost by the Obammunists. The reason is a 1920 protectionist piece of legislation called ‘The Jones Act,” which requires shipping to be built by American (i.e., unionized) workers and staffed by American sailors. So as not to ruffle the delicate feathers of unionized dock workers and other protectionist parasites in an election year, the Obammunists have refused all of their help.
    I'm not sure what information is flying around, but here's the low down.

At the well site, working to contain the spill, every large vessel there is a foreign flag vessel with mixed crews.

The Transocean vessels on scene: Discovery Enterprise, DDII and DDIII all are flagged out of Vanuatu or Majuro.

The Deepwater Horizon itself was also foreign flagged, out of Majuro.

The IMR vessels running the ROVs, the Skandi Neptune, the Rem Forza, the Viking Poseidon, the HOS Iron Horse, just to name a few, are all foreign flagged, Norwegian mostly, with US, Filipino, European and Canadian crews.

They are called "flags of convenience" in that the inspections, manning and regulation of the nations is lax, compared to say, the US.

The only US flagged vessels are the supply vessels and tugs and barges that the collected oil is being pumped to, along with damn near every MSRC and NRC vessel in the country.

And I've yet to see one US unionized marine company on scene, (with the possible exception of Moran - I think their southern operations are non unionized) outside of the foreign vessels, which, at least for the Norwegians, is unionized.

Seems a piss poor idea to me to turn over even more of our decision making processes and responses to even more foreigners, seeing as how it was a foreign owned drilling company that owned the foreign flagged drillship that followed the instructions of a foreign company's representative to move forward in an unsafe condition that caused all this mess.

Cue the screeches and wailings of the "free traders" in 3...2...1...
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 06-17-2010 at 12:12 PM.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Two different right wing radio hosts that I listen to have brought up the Jones Act.

I swear these guys all get their talking points from the same place.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    Two different right wing radio hosts that I listen to have brought up the Jones Act.

I swear these guys all get their talking points from the same place.
    I don't know what they are basing it on...
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

///

The Jones Act has been suspended several times. gwBush suspended it for something - I can't remember what , and I don't have time to Google it right now.

So even if you want to stretch and say that cleaning up oil is the same thing as transporting oil, the precedent to temporarily remove the restrictions is certainly there.

From the WSJ, on this same talking point:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...p_mostpop_read

Again, there are even more foreign flagged vessels on scene now than when I wrote this weeks ago, including now three foreign FPSO vessels.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The Jones Act has been suspended several times. gwBush suspended it for something - I can't remember what , and I don't have time to Google it right now.

So even if you want to stretch and say that cleaning up oil is the same thing as transporting oil, the precedent to temporarily remove the restrictions is certainly there.
    He suspended it for 18 days post Katrina. But he still didn't allow the Cubans to help strictly for political reasons even though there were people stranded on a peer that could be rescued. And FEMA under Bush diverted rescue workers to Atlanta for "sensitivity training" while people were dying. In both of these disasters the government has gotten in the way more than it has helped. I don't know about the Jones act. I do know the EPA has been delaying things over "environmental impact studies" that shouldn't require it. (Sand berms that could have stopped some of the oil reaching shore. Also Kenaf, a natural substance that could help clean up and compost the oil).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Not the "Jones Act" Jones Act, but a domestic Jones Act:

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ion-to-Compete

An Agorist Primer ~ Samuel Edward Konkin III (free PDF download)

The End of All Evil ~ Jeremy Locke (free PDF download)