Thread: Habenero Peppers/ Chile Cabra

Arklatex

Habenero Peppers/ Chile Cabra

Can anyone find habenero peppers anymore? It's ridiculous, no where can I find spicy peppers other than jalepenos.

I have to grow my own, use to I could swing by this bodega and find them but latley they are out, Kroger and Walmart don't carry them. I visited a latin america country recently and couldn't even find them anywhere down there.

Hello human kind? What are you up to? Grow some habeneros. They are a hidden secret to your health and happiness.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post
    Can anyone find habenero peppers anymore? It's ridiculous, no where can I find spicy peppers other than jalepenos.

I have to grow my own, use to I could swing by this bodega and find them but latley they are out, Kroger and Walmart don't carry them. I visited a latin america country recently and couldn't even find them anywhere down there.

Hello human kind? What are you up to? Grow some habeneros. They are a hidden secret to your health and happiness.
    I approve this post. More habeneros.

I ate a whole habenero I grew last year, when it was orange. It was incredibly hot, but I managed to keep it down. 20 minutes later the worst was over. A few weeks later, one was more ripe, almost red. I popped it in my mouth, took a big bite, and then my body rejected it, spitting it out involutarily as my throat started immediately to swell, almost like "uh, no way that is coming down here!"

Hot stuff, love the flavor, though!

i saw them at Safeway the other day. i think they were $8.49 a pound. seems kinda expensive but they are probably not the most sought after product. i have been researching peppers and hot sauce recipes because im thinking about starting a hot sauce company that will hopefully rival tabasco one day! hahaha, only in my dreams but anyways the hottest pepper in the world is 1 million scovilles! compared to the jalapeno that is only 10k scovilles. it is called the bhut jolopia. you can also buy this sauce called the source that is 7 million scovilles! one drop can spice an entire pot of chili!
    http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

I will be seeding some soon.. they are so healthy for you.

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    i saw them at Safeway the other day. i think they were $8.49 a pound. seems kinda expensive but they are probably not the most sought after product. i have been researching peppers and hot sauce recipes because im thinking about starting a hot sauce company that will hopefully rival tabasco one day! hahaha, only in my dreams but anyways the hottest pepper in the world is 1 million scovilles! compared to the jalapeno that is only 10k scovilles. it is called the bhut jolopia. you can also buy this sauce called the source that is 7 million scovilles! one drop can spice an entire pot of chili!
    http://www.hotsauceworld.com/source.html
    I am currently growing the bhut jolopia, but they are not ready yet..

i will test them on my father first lol.. I think they call it the Ghost Pepper..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Arklatex View Post

Yeah, store I go to has them 95% of the time. They aren't hiding anywhere so far as I can tell.

Maybe you just live out in the boonies?
    Last edited by Andrew-Austin; 06-18-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Habeneros are so EASY to grow. They take little water, and you can forget about them for a week and look out and have tons of peppers on them. Id bet they would do well in a good sized pot if you don't have much space. If you can't find them at the store just grow you a couple and you will be set.

I haven't grown any in a couple years, but I still have some dried and vacuum packed in the freezer. I think they last pretty much forever that way. There wasn't any shortage of habaneros last time I went to the grocery store.

Best pepper seeds: http://www.pepperjoe.com/
    They have some good heirloom tomato seeds as well, along with a lot of free recipes and growing advice.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I like hot peppers, bhut's are awesome.

Pepper Joe's is a good place for seeds, but any good organic/heirloom catalog would do. I buy from Bakers Seed. Both Lowe's and HD had habenero plants this spring, but not until it warmed up.

I suggest looking up a local farmer's market for plants, that's how I got my lemon grass.

I had a pic of the most awesome habenero plant I've ever grown, but I can't find it. I decided to pull it when a hard frost was predicted. There were over 100 peppers on the plant.
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.