Thread: I found the mp3 archives to Harry Browne's investment show

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I found the mp3 archives to Harry Browne's investment show

http://crawlingroad.com/blog/harry-b...olio-archives/
    From 2004-2005 Harry Browne had a once a week radio show where he went over his investment philosophy and strategy called the ”Permanent Portfolio”. In addition to explaining why he used his strategy, he also discussed many other areas relating to finance and free-market economics. During the end of the show cycle, Harry Browne had his long time colleague and publisher, John Chandler, join him on the air.

These shows are full of timeless advice but make little reference to the market happenings of the day. As a result, the information in them is just as valid now as when they were first recorded. Most importantly, Harry Browne had a strong grasp of economic history and understood that uncertainty in the markets is the norm, not the exception, so you better have an investment strategy to deal with it.
    If it's a pain to download each individually, get the "download them all" plugin for firefox, change max simultaneous downloads to "1" (doesn't seem to work well otherwise for this particular site), and you're good to go.

If you're interested in the archives of his political radio show see here:
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...wne+radio+show
    If anyone finds his Free Market News Network TV shows, post a link

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I need to listen to this again.

is this good?
    truth is treason in the empire of lies

Very good. I listened to and recorded all of his shows (both political and investment shows each week).

The video show was not as slick or professional at first, but it was improving...
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 12-19-2012 at 07:55 AM.

Really excellent, thanks!

__________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

I actually just put some of my money that's in my IRA into the Permanent Portfolio Fund last week.

I think its a good strategy.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by matt0611 View Post
    I actually just put some of my money that's in my IRA into the Permanent Portfolio Fund last week.
    Once I find gainful employment I plan to do the same.

My only concern is whether or not they physically hold the gold assets. I guess I need to read the prospectus ;-)
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

My only concern is whether or not they physically hold the gold assets. I guess I need to read the prospectus ;-)
    gotta go physical
    truth is treason in the empire of lies

Harry makes some comments on how the mutual fund holds its gold assets on 4-12-12 episode of his investment show (around ~ 38:00).
    He says its in some Comex depositories and some other warehouses stationed around the United States. He says due to regulatory issues the fund is unable to hold those assets themselves and take physical delivery.

Harry makes some comments on how the mutual fund holds its gold assets on 4-12-12 episode of his investment show (around ~ 38:00).
    He says its in some Comex depositories and some other warehouses stationed around the United States. He says due to regulatory issues the fund is unable to hold those assets themselves and take physical delivery.
    How ironic.... the amazing thing is that goes against what he teaches, physically posessing the gold and NOT keeping it warehoused

How ironic.... the amazing thing is that goes against what he teaches, physically posessing the gold and NOT keeping it warehoused
    Well its the fault of the security regulators. Unfortunately. He says if you use the mutual fund for your gold holdings you should also set buy some for your personal possession as well.

He actually says its ok (and actually good) that you have some gold holdings NOT in your possession and out of the country as long as its not in a "pooled" account and the gold is reserved in your name.
    Last edited by matt0611; 12-26-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Harry explained that mutual fund does it all for you, but you could just follow all the instructions and DIY: You would posses and have to secure the metal yourself. You sell bonds at 80% maturity and buy new ones regardless of how well they are doing at that moment, and must buy/sell as necessary to stay right with that ever-drifting average stock selection group of top stocks.... can't remember ...DJ average?

The MutFnd is different than Harry's advice, why is that?

The MutFnd is different...
    Don't know why, they also took the PP web site down for a while as gold shot up/stocks plunged (happened a few years ago... 2006 or 2008 sketchy recall on my part). I also recall noticing (in early 2000's?) some drift from the 4 way, 25%25%25%25% thing Harry used to talk about... decades ago.

I have not looked into this recently, I'm spouting recall from ~15 years ago- Harry said it had the 6% average annual yield "for money you could not afford to lose".

The feds (SEC?) gave Cuggino a good grilling a while back, I think that's about when there was a subtle change in category percentages.

I wonder if Jim Babka has more insight into this... Does he have some flesh in the game?

It's is an interesting investment fund with a great track record! http://www.permanentportfoliofunds.c...perm/PRPFX.pdf
    Last edited by FindLiberty; 12-21-2012 at 07:27 AM. Reason: too tired lately...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The MutFnd is different than Harry's advice, why is that?
    It was set up using the original incarnation of the Permanent Portfolio concept. The original strategy held:

Stocks
    Bonds
    Cash
    Gold
    Silver
    Swiss francs
    Natural resources

Later on, Harry simplified and improved the approach. It became:

Stock
    Cash
    Bonds
    Gold

PRPFX is not the most ideal way to implement a PP. For someone with a small amount of money to invest, though, it can be a very good way to get many of the benefits.

Harry's page is still up - http://harrybrowne.org/

I'm really liking the investment show. Its a good mix of economics, explanations of the basics of investments, and his principles on how to invest.

Too bad I never got a chance to vote for him for President.

I'm really liking the investment show. Its a good mix of economics, explanations of the basics of investments, and his principles on how to invest.

Too bad I never got a chance to vote for him for President.
    Yeah, those were in my "I didn't know better" days and I didn't vote for him. It was my first Presidential election though. I wanted to vote for Buchanan but I lived in Florida and didn't want to "risk getting Gore elected"