Thread: With all this talk of what Adam should do next..

With all this talk of what Adam should do next..

First of all, I don't really think it's very polite for the people on this Board to pretty much order Adam around like he's our own personal Liberty chess piece. ~ Adam is his own man and I'm sure he knows what he wants to do next..

I mean, I know it's fun to offer our own opinions and stuff, and I will admit that I am guilty of doing so too since after it was obvious he wasn't going to win his Primary I started barking out "Adam Kokesh 2012!"...

But yesterday I saw the video of Michael Badnarik speaking at the 2010 Libertarian Conference, and what he said really made me think.

For those who didn't see it, Badnarik pretty much said that everyone should stop telling OTHERS what they should do for the Movement, and instead DO IT THEMSELVES. - I really think that applies to this matter.

That's one reason I was pretty disgusted with that critique from the Republican Liberty Caucus. Adam did the best job that any good Revolutionary could have done, and I congratulate him. The money I donated was not wasted, and anyone that suggests otherwise is dead wrong. ~ I'm sure whatever decision Adam makes next will be the best choice. So maybe we should just give the guy a break and let him make his own decisions.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyE104 View Post
    First of all, I don't really think it's very polite for the people on this Board to pretty much order Adam around like he's our own personal Liberty chess piece. ~ Adam is his own man and I'm sure he knows what he wants to do next..

I mean, I know it's fun to offer our own opinions and stuff, and I will admit that I am guilty of doing so too since after it was obvious he wasn't going to win his Primary I started barking out "Adam Kokesh 2012!"...

But yesterday I saw the video of Michael Badnarik speaking at the 2010 Libertarian Conference, and what he said really made me think.

For those who didn't see it, Badnarik pretty much said that everyone should stop telling OTHERS what they should do for the Movement, and instead DO IT THEMSELVES. - I really think that applies to this matter.

That's one reason I was pretty disgusted with that critique from the Republican Liberty Caucus. Adam did the best job that any good Revolutionary could have done, and I congratulate him. The money I donated was not wasted, and anyone that suggests otherwise is dead wrong. ~ I'm sure whatever decision Adam makes next will be the best choice. So maybe we should just give the guy a break and let him make his own decisions.
    i agree with you but I think everyone on this forum was really excited about Adam's run and had higher hopes than what actually happened. Yes, Adam can do whatever he wants and he will do what he wants. Unfortunately, not all of us are congressional candidate or any higher office candidate material. Adam is and we do not want him to disappear from the liberty light. We need Adam. Don't take our suggestions as orders, take them as encouragement. We are behind Adam 100 percent of the way.
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Yeah, it's a good tack: every time a liberty candidate loses 'your money is wasted.' This is based on an assumption that the only return on the money is a portion of the seat purchased via donation (establishment mindset). But an election is far more than a seat .

A candidate above the threshold can frame the debate of an election and propel localized political solutions for the future. A candidate on the trail reaches many ears. For the money I spent, I believe it would have translated to more ears (new questions in people) than I could/would have done with the money otherwise.

Is there better return spending that money or effort or time elsewhere? Probably. Same could be said about practically every human action in existence.

The 'all or nothing' mentality is a roller coaster of assumption, overblown expectation, dramatization. It is likely to be encouraged by opponents of liberty.

I try not to expect anything from the races but good avenues for a liberty message. That way I get my wish no matter what. When I think to whom I should donate, I do so by considering whether I will be happy I did no matter the outcome. I see this as a matter of personal responsibility. It keeps me from depressing the crew when it's over and 'woe is me, all is lost, liberty is dead...' etc.

Drama -> mama
    Last edited by nayjevin; 06-04-2010 at 04:47 AM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

methinks with "Adam Kokesh 2012" being and becoming a almost a rEVOLUTIOn rallying cry, so didst someone
    think we all wanted Adam to run as a dark-horse candidate prior to Ron Paul entering the race with a formality?

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    Yeah, it's a good tack: every time a liberty candidate loses 'your money is wasted.' This is based on an assumption that the only return on the money is a portion of the seat purchased via donation (establishment mindset). But an election is far more than a seat .

A candidate above the threshold can frame the debate of an election and propel localized political solutions for the future. A candidate on the trail reaches many ears. For the money I spent, I believe it would have translated to more ears (new questions in people) than I could/would have done with the money otherwise.

Is there better return spending that money or effort or time elsewhere? Probably. Same could be said about practically every human action in existence.

The 'all or nothing' mentality is a roller coaster of assumption, overblown expectation, dramatization. It is likely to be encouraged by opponents of liberty.

I try not to expect anything from the races but good avenues for a liberty message. That way I get my wish no matter what. When I think to whom I should donate, I do so by considering whether I will be happy I did no matter the outcome. I see this as a matter of personal responsibility. It keeps me from depressing the crew when it's over and 'woe is me, all is lost, liberty is dead...' etc.

Drama -> mama
    well said nayjevin. lovin your pic too!

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    well said nayjevin. lovin your pic too!
    thanksbump 8o)
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

plausible candidates

The time is late and our resources are few. Concentration must be centered in those states and districts where there is a serious chance of success. From the returns, Adam was never a serious factor in the race. He was both better known and better financed than his opponent. New Mexico Republicans simply don't care whether their nominee has a serious opportunity to defeat the incumbent Democrat or not. I have no suggested solution but there should be some feasible means of keeping us out of these impossible situations. Debra Medina in Texas was not in it to attempt to win, but only to force a run-off. We couldn't even do that but it was still a worthwhile effort. In Adam's case it was obviously always hopeless, which none of us realized.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Adam Kokesh 2012!"...

everyone should stop telling OTHERS what they should do for the Movement, and instead DO IT THEMSELVES. - I really think that applies to this matter.

RileyE104 2012!!

Oh $#@!, now I gotta run too
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by randolphfuller View Post
    The time is late and our resources are few. Concentration must be centered in those states and districts where there is a serious chance of success. From the returns, Adam was never a serious factor in the race. He was both better known and better financed than his opponent. New Mexico Republicans simply don't care whether their nominee has a serious opportunity to defeat the incumbent Democrat or not. I have no suggested solution but there should be some feasible means of keeping us out of these impossible situations. Debra Medina in Texas was not in it to attempt to win, but only to force a run-off. We couldn't even do that but it was still a worthwhile effort. In Adam's case it was obviously always hopeless, which none of us realized.
    there is always hope. even though he didn't win i bet he inspired some people along the way. look at what ron paul did! did he win? no, but he started a movement.

This conversation is not about ordering Adam around, but about putting forth a set of best strategies for the liberty movement at large to consider.

Yeah, Adam is his own man, but he more than any of us understands that fighting for something is not all about doing your own thing. Sometimes, you have to weigh what YOU think that you can do, vs what THE MOVEMENT thinks you can do. I may want to spend my time campaigning for a change in drug policy, but if there are several thousand people online calling for me to run for office, I would consider that because I have an interest in the liberty movement's success. Planning for the future, and Adam's future in the movement, is a free market entity in the marketplace of ideas. We're not planning for Adam's enslaved future with us.