Thread: Its ok to boycott AZ; federal crime to boycott Israel

Its ok to boycott AZ; federal crime to boycott Israel

This does not make sense. Could someone who is an Israeli government apologist please explain why Americans can boycott Arizona, but face fines and imprisonment for boycotting Israel?

Antiboycott Compliance

The Bureau is charged with administering and enforcing the Antiboycott Laws under the Export Administration Act. Those laws discourage, and in some circumstances, prohibit U.S. companies from furthering or supporting the boycott of Israel sponsored by the Arab League, and certain Moslem countries, including complying with certain requests for information designed to verify compliance with the boycott. Compliance with such requests may be prohibited by the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and may be reportable to the Bureau.

Boycott Alert

U.S. companies continue to report receiving requests to engage in activities that further or support the boycott of Israel. U.S. companies may receive similar requests in the future. If you have questions, please call (202) 482-2381 and ask for the Duty Officer or you may contact us by email.

http://www.bis.doc.gov/complianceand...compliance.htm

Los Angeles County considers Arizona boycott

The Associated Press
    Posted: 06/01/2010 09:02:39 AM PDT
    Updated: 06/01/2010 09:06:07 AM PDT

LOS ANGELES—Los Angeles County will vote on a proposed economic boycott of Arizona because of the state's law targeting illegal immigration.
    The vote scheduled Tuesday by the county Board of Supervisors comes nearly three weeks after the Los Angeles City Council approved a similar boycott.
    The motion would prompt a review of which contracts with Arizona-based companies could be canceled. It would also ban new contracts with Arizona businesses.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15202833
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Is this only for Israel or is it generic?

Quote Originally Posted by Agorism View Post
    Is this only for Israel or is it generic?
    The web page states:

The antiboycott laws were adopted to encourage, and in specified cases, require U.S. firms to refuse to participate in foreign boycotts that the United States does not sanction. They have the effect of preventing U.S. firms from being used to implement foreign policies of other nations which run counter to U.S. policy.

And states further:

The Arab League boycott of Israel is the principal foreign economic boycott that U.S. companies must be concerned with today. The antiboycott laws, however, apply to all boycotts imposed by foreign countries that are unsanctioned by the United States.

The boycott has to be sanctioned by the United States. Does the United States sanction the boycott of one of its own, Arizona, while refusing to sanction another foreign state, Israel?
    "..and on Earth anguish of nations, not knowing the way out...while men become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited Earth." -- Jesus of Nazareth

Los Angeles, as in the city itself?

This comes far, far closer to being unConstitutional than any international boycott would ever be. I'm not saying it is, I'm just saying that if the Supreme Court were to consider cases based on both situations, the Az. v. The Angels case would be the one they might consider important enough to hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only want the freedoms that will undermine the nation and lead to the destruction of liberty.

Our government gives much more favor to Isreal than the 50 states. Not surprised by this.

here is my problem with the AZ debate.
    For years here- the pro police state border crowd has been crying that it is the federal government that is to secure the border. "if" that is so- if it is a power delegated to the federal government- then if the state has given up that jurisdiction to the federal government and has no authority in that area.
    If the federal governments only role is to standardize a method of naturalization, then it is the states right to control its own border. which is it?
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    here is my problem with the AZ debate.
    For years here- the pro police state border crowd has been crying that it is the federal government that is to secure the border. "if" that is so- if it is a power delegated to the federal government- then if the state has given up that jurisdiction to the federal government and has no authority in that area.
    If the federal governments only role is to standardize a method of naturalization, then it is the states right to control its own border. which is it?
    An example I look to is an Indian reservation, where I went to High School and worked. The Indians do not have to abide by any state laws; only federal laws. Wouldn't a state be just like an Indian Reservation, where they make their own laws as long as they don't conflict with Federal laws? The Reservation Police enforce Federal laws, just as the states do. The Reservation Police can kick you off the reservation, even if you haven't committed a crime. So, what gives?

Only half of the establishment hates Arizona.

Both halves love Israel.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    An example I look to is an Indian reservation, where I went to High School and worked. The Indians do not have to abide by any state laws; only federal laws. Wouldn't a state be just like an Indian Reservation, where they make their own laws as long as they don't conflict with Federal laws? The Reservation Police enforce Federal laws, just as the states do. The Reservation Police can kick you off the reservation, even if you haven't committed a crime. So, what gives?
    indian reservations are actually suppose to be sovereign, even more so than our states. to compare them to our states would be misleading.
    technically, the states only gave the federal government the power to regulate the process of naturalization. basically unifying the process for all citizens coming into any state. that's it.
    leaving the states to decide how to regulate their ports and borders.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    indian reservations are actually suppose to be sovereign, even more so than our states. to compare them to our states would be misleading.
    technically, the states only gave the federal government the power to regulate the process of naturalization. basically unifying the process for all citizens coming into any state. that's it.
    leaving the states to decide how to regulate their ports and borders.
    Interesting. Another thing to consider is that many illegals cross over on private land. What recourse do the property owners have?

Also, where the illegals cross over on Federal land, for instance, land that is BLM, does the state have jurisdiction on federal land?

Quote Originally Posted by YumYum View Post
    Interesting. Another thing to consider is that many illegals cross over on private land. What recourse do the property owners have?

Also, where the illegals cross over on Federal land, for instance, land that is BLM, does the state have jurisdiction on federal land?
    the constitution actually outlines specifically what land and buildings the federal government could "own". national forest is not one of them.
    so, the problem starts with no one following the law.

The US gov can't stop people from boycotting Israeli products, they could only prevent an *organized* boycott. I don't buy Israeli products and don't give a $#@! who knows it.
    "Molon Labe"

I think we'll see a court review the anti-boycott law soon...

http://shop.cafepress.com/boycott-israel

Bachmann2012.com is For Sale, to benefit RPF and RP2012.

Silver kills vampires: We store. We wait. We win.

Economics, like chemistry, has nothing to do with politics. -Chodorov

Dude, I'm sorry that you're so innocent and naive and I have to bust your world wise cherry. Look, might makes right. There isn't rhyme or reason to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Inflation View Post

Nice shirt
    "Molon Labe"

Quote Originally Posted by Inflation View Post

You'd be better off walking around in public with a decapitated head as a hat.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What does Israel produce? What exactly are we supposed to stop buying if a boycott ever occurred?

I haven't seen too many "made in Israel" stickers on anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Last edited by catdd; 06-02-2010 at 11:07 AM.
    "Molon Labe"

I hope AZ stops selling power to CA.....tit for tat....
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    What does Israel produce? What exactly are we supposed to stop buying if a boycott ever occurred?

I haven't seen too many "made in Israel" stickers on anything.
    I want to say one of the mainstream toothpastes like colgate is made there. Read your packaging and you would be surprised where we get some goofy products from and it is insane we import almost everything!!!
    We will be known forever by the tracks we leave. - Dakota

Go Forward With Courage

When you are in doubt, be still, and wait;
    when doubt no longer exists for you, then go forward with courage.
    So long as mists envelop you, be still;
    be still until the sunlight pours through and dispels the mists
    -- as it surely will.
    Then act with courage.

Ponca Chief White Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post
    I want to say one of the mainstream toothpastes like colgate is made there. Read your packaging and you would be surprised where we get some goofy products from and it is insane we import almost everything!!!
    I just provided a list above.
    "Molon Labe"

Quote Originally Posted by moostraks View Post

Keep in mind that the US Taxpayers subsidizes loads of Israeli products... always under some BS titled and Politically Correct propaganda like "Joint Development" Whole Food Treaty, Feed the World, Anti-Semite Tomatoes... Don't forget US businesses dumping divisions into Israel to support their blood brothers.

The gimmicks and crap never stop from Israeli antics and they get just as creative as Credit Default Swaps and Mortgage Backed Securities.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 06-02-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran