Thread: Simmons: "Schiff attractive, smart.. McMahon can't win"

Simmons: "Schiff attractive, smart.. McMahon can't win"

http://corner.nationalreview.com/pos...EwODkxNjc0ZjY=

Hard Feelings in Hartford [Robert Costa]

Former Rep. Rob Simmons (R., Conn.) tells National Review Online that he does not think that Linda McMahon can win in the Nutmeg State. “No, I don’t think so at all,” he tells us. And if McMahon asks Simmons for help on the trail, he says he’ll say he is “preoccupied.”

On Tuesday, Simmons suspended his Senate campaign, days after McMahon, the former chief executive of World Wrestling Entertainment, won the GOP endorsement at a state convention. Simmons said McMahon won the endorsement for one reason: “Money.”

Simmons, a decorated Vietnam veteran, is convinced that he would have been the better GOP candidate for the Republicans to put up against Democrat Richard Blumenthal, Connecticut’s attorney general. In recent weeks, Blumenthal has come under fire for making misleading statements about his military service. “He blinked when I challenged him and issued an apology,” Simmons says. “It is an issue of character. He has every reason to be proud of the service he has done, so to embellish it to get support from veterans is just wrong.”

McMahon’s biggest hurdle, he says, is her WWE past. “While she was there, they had a mentally-handicapped character, Eugene, who they thought was humorous. I find that whole issue, and how it was handled by [McMahon], severely disappointing.” While Blumenthal has “exposed a character flaw,” McMahon has “countless entertainment products that she’ll have to defend, especially when Democrats make them known to the public in coming months.”

“There are a lot of new people in the party who forget about Brook Johnson,” Simmons adds, referencing the Greenwich millionaire who lost his challenge to Sen. Chris Dodd (D., Conn.) in 1992. “Johnson beat Chris Burnham, a great state representative, in the primary, because Burnham didn’t run a single television commercial. Then Johnson went on to lose to Dodd.”

So will Simmons support Peter Schiff, the Republican financier who’s still trying to challenge McMahon? “He’s an attractive, smart guy,” Simmons says, sounding a bit coy. “He is much smarter on the economy.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Paul_For_Connecticut View Post
    Very nice, Mr. Simmons!
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    You're not making the claim that there's no objective best diet, are you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wow, nice! I wasn't expecting that at all!

omg! amazing! email him asking for an endorsement
    Last edited by dr. hfn; 05-26-2010 at 04:16 PM.

Simmons is gay? j/k. This could be big if Simmons would rally his supporters to Schiff
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

lol @ nutmeg state

good points by simmons, yeah an endorsement would be ideal I think

Schiff had better get ON this and get that endorsement!!!
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020
    http://www.DraftAmash.com

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    A simmons endorsement and support would be huge. Maybe that ought to be priority number 1, there are obviously sour grapes between him and Linda.

“He is much smarter on the economy.”
    I'm starting to actually think Schiff might get a Simmons endorsement. Still unlikely but he seems pretty pissed at Linda.
    Ron Paul: "Do you think gold is money?"
    Ben Bernanke: "No"
    ~July 7th, 2011

very interesting development!

expected. i saw it when he kept his name on the ballot. why would he do that except to stick it to linda and help schiff?

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    expected. i saw it when he kept his name on the ballot. why would he do that except to stick it to linda and help schiff?
    I'm confused. How does that help Schiff?

Quote Originally Posted by driege View Post
    I'm confused. How does that help Schiff?
    Cause he will draw from McMahon more than Schiff.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic View Post
    Cause he will draw from McMahon more than Schiff.
    but he (semi)endorsed Schiff right?
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    but he (semi)endorsed Schiff right?
    Well, he refused to endorse McMahon, and said nice things about Peter Schiff, but the kind of people who would vote for Rob Simmons are generally not the kind of people who would vote for Peter Schiff. Simmons represents the neocon, insider, uber-establishment vote, whereas Schiff represents the libertarian, outsider, Tea Party vote. However, there might be so much bad blood between Simmons's and McMahon's camps at this point that lots of Simmons supporters might just vote for Schiff in the primary out of spite, which is all the better for us!
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020
    http://www.DraftAmash.com

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    a schiff endorsment would be freaking amazing.

Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    a schiff endorsment would be freaking amazing.
    Ask for his endorsement. Email him at info@joinrobsimmons.com

Quote Originally Posted by driege View Post
    Ask for his endorsement. Email him at info@joinrobsimmons.com
    This is excellent. We should bombard him with emails. I put this on the general forum as well.

Holy $#@!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/...ahon_cant_win/

http:// digg.com/political_opinion/Simmons_Schiff_attractive_smart_McMahon_can_t_win

REMOVE THE SPACE!
    Last edited by qwerty; 05-26-2010 at 10:48 PM.
    KEEP THE REVOLUTION ALIVE! RUN FOR OFFICE!

please, please, please endorse schiff! even though simmons is the complete opposite of schiff, it would give him a significant boost. support, funds, volunteers, establishment behind him, news coverage. a dream come true at this point in time! i want to see some polling coming out of the state too for the primary!
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
    Holy $#@!!

http://www.reddit.com/r/Libertarian/...ahon_cant_win/

http:// digg.com/political_opinion/Simmons_Schiff_attractive_smart_McMahon_can_t_win

REMOVE THE SPACE!
    "That's one thing about freedom; you have to tolerate the nonsense too." - Ron Paul

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0510/37845.html

Doesn't look good for a Schiff endorsement. Simmons apologized for his remarks about Linda, and said he's supporting the Republican Party's endorsed candidates.
    "History has tried hard to teach us that we can't have good government under politicians. Now, to go and stick one at the very head of the government couldn't be wise." - Mark Twain

Twitter - @kevinmckenz
    Blog - Never Say Nothing

Well crap. At least he is not endorsing her. I still believe thatany of his supporters would rather endorse schiff than mcmahon if they only knew about him.
    I am more and more convinced that man is a dangerous creature and that power, whether vested in many or a few, is ever grasping, and like the grave, cries, 'Give, give.'

Abigail Adams

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael P View Post
    I'm starting to actually think Schiff might get a Simmons endorsement. Still unlikely but he seems pretty pissed at Linda.
    Let's hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by Legend1104 View Post
    At least he is not endorsing her.
    It may not be a formal endorsement, but when he says:
    She is the party choice to the primary
    I’m supporting my party’s endorsed candidates.
    and
    my party made a decision and they decided not to choose me and I accept that
    that's as close to an endorsement without endorsing her as he can get.

The only reason I could see him endorsing Schiff would be out of spite against the party, which would only burn bridges for him. I don't see it happening, especially after this article.

Look like he just stomped on that glimmer of hope for a Schiff endorsement.

Given how much Simmons' campaign focused negatively on McMahon's in the past few months I would not be surprised if Simmons encourages his supporters and many insider friends to vote for Schiff even without giving an official endorsement. Simmons is a nice and honest guy who cares about Connecticut despite our differences with him over policy.
    The Peter Schiff Show - Production
    Schiff for Senate 2010 Grassroots Team Leader
    Former Campaign for Liberty Local Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by MRoCkEd View Post
    Look like he just stomped on that glimmer of hope for a Schiff endorsement.
    I'm not so sure. Simmons will definitely back away from what he has said negatively about McMahon. If she does end up winning the primary, then he doesn't want negative comments being replayed. However, once Schiff gets on the ballot through petitions, he could still endorse Schiff by saying "He's a better choice" without saying that McMahon is a bad choice.

Simmons has to be aware of what happened in Kentucky. His primary goal here is to stay on the good side of whoever wins, and Kentucky proved that anything can happen. He can do that by weakly endorsing Schiff in the primary, and then endorsing McMahon in the general. In any case, don't expect anything until it's confirmed that Schiff has completed his petitions and will be on the ballot, and don't expect anything other than a lukewarm endorsement. In fact, if it happens it will probably come quite late, maybe a week before the primary election.

Of course, that means that for Schiff to get a Simmons endorsement, he would at least have to demonstrate that the race is competitive already, which I don't believe he has.