Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My City Hall reply to my latest email

My City Hall reply to my latest email

With the help of a friend, I was able to send them a very well written legal-esque document, which cited 2 instances in MN where similar laws were found unconstitutional. I sent that to them yesterday...here's their 1ST reply

Hi Chris,

I’ve forwarded your letter to City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will uphold the City’s sign ordinance and ask that the sign be removed.

John Hinzman, AICP
    Planning Director

City of Hastings
    101 East 4th Street
    Hastings, Minnesota 55033
    (651) 480-2378 - voice
    (651) 437-7082 - fax

THEN about 15 minutes ago....they sent me this.

Chris

I have spoken to our City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will further examine the questions raised in your letter. The City will not pursue any enforcement action at this time, pending further review. I will notify you if this changes and enforcement is pursued.

Thanks

John Hinzman, AICP
    Planning Director

City of Hastings
    101 East 4th Street
    (651) 480-2378 - voice
    (651) 437-7082 - fax

Looks to me like they are back pedaling!!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

You win, dude. You won't hear another peep out of them since now they see you're not some ignorant fool that they can push around. Good for you!
    Ron Paul Baby '71

Quote Originally Posted by BLS View Post
    With the help of a friend, I was able to send them a very well written legal-esque document, which cited 2 instances in MN where similar laws were found unconstitutional.

Precisely what was needed. Good job Flexing your Rights!

I'm really impressed you stood up to them and demanded your right to freedom of speech. It's really nerve-racking to do that. I wonder if I'd have the guts to push back.

Way to go!!!!

Oh my!! That is classic! Great work and keep up the good fight!!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

and BOOM! goes the dynamite

<putting on tin-foil hat>

Enjoy your IRS audit next year

<removing tin-foil hat>

Kudos to you for fighting it! They wanted you to roll over so bad, just like the vast majority of American's would.
    Freedom from the government!
    Freedom from the boss!
    And freedom from everyone else!
    Check out Holistic Politics for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandson of Liberty View Post
    <putting on tin-foil hat>

Enjoy your IRS audit next year

<removing tin-foil hat>
    Don't say that......

I'm not done yet.

I'm going to fight it until they change the code.
    Every person in my town deserves the right to free speech.

Makes me proud to have been a Minnesotan most of my life! (And actually, not far from Hastings)

With the help of a friend, I was able to send them a very well written legal-esque document, which cited 2 instances in MN where similar laws were found unconstitutional. I sent that to them yesterday...here's their 1ST reply

Hi Chris,

I’ve forwarded your letter to City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will uphold the City’s sign ordinance and ask that the sign be removed.

John Hinzman, AICP
    Planning Director

City of Hastings
    101 East 4th Street
    (651) 480-2378 - voice
    (651) 437-7082 - fax

Chris

I have spoken to our City Attorney Dan Fluegel. We will further examine the questions raised in your letter. The City will not pursue any enforcement action at this time, pending further review. I will notify you if this changes and enforcement is pursued.

Thanks

John Hinzman, AICP
    Planning Director

City of Hastings
    101 East 4th Street
    (651) 480-2378 - voice
    (651) 437-7082 - fax

This is great news! -- but it is still under review. Not to be pessimistic but lets not pop the cork off the bottle yet.

If this does turn into a win, there are several other people I have seen Youtubes on who have run into the same issues, on their personal property. I'll see about tracking down some contact info for them.

I must say with humorus intent, I am somewhat wishing Ron Paul never walked into my life. Apathetic ignorance is much more STRESS-FREE.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm not done yet.

Even if they want to post Rudy signs?

I'm not done yet.

Great job you make me proud and inspire me...

Quote Originally Posted by jkaufmann View Post
    This is great news! -- but it is still under review. Not to be pessimistic but lets not pop the cork off the bottle yet.

If this does turn into a win, there are several other people I have seen Youtubes on who have run into the same issues, on their personal property. I'll see about tracking down some contact info for them.

I must say with humorus intent, I am somewhat wishing Ron Paul never walked into my life. Apathetic ignorance is much more STRESS-FREE.
    But for them to change to "The City will not pursue any enforcement action at this time" probably means they're giving up.

Way to go BLS! You're helping pave the way for setting precedence to any of this ordinance BS in the future.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Good job there!! It's high time that ALL Americans started demanding that they be left alone as long as they aren't doing something that can hurt someone else. The more the government (especially the local ones) are challenged on these asinine draconian 'ordinances', the less likely they'll be to try to enforce them or even pass them to begin with.

GOOD JOB!
    "...It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere..." -- Voltaire

"When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic." ~~ D. James

Ron Paul! I BELIEVE!!

Even if they want to post Rudy signs?
    Even Hitlery signs!

HEHEHE. I like that. It's my new signature.

And I agree 110%

I'm very proud of you, BLS. What you did took guts.

HAHA CLASSIC,thats great news.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Push it! Get some media attention. Little guy takes on City Hall....and wins! (for now)

At this point, blowback from them is only a two week difference (100 days from February 5th caucus).

THE MACHINE IS STARTING TO GET SCARED!!!

Might be worth it to at least contact your local news station with this story, there might be other folks who were harassed and dont have your cahones.

Talking

Hi Chris,
    John Hinzman, AICP
    Planning Director

City of Hastings
    101 East 4th Street
    (651) 480-2378 - voice
    (651) 437-7082 - fax

Chris
    Thanks
    John Hinzman, AICP
    Planning Director

City of Hastings
    101 East 4th Street
    (651) 480-2378 - voice
    (651) 437-7082 - fax

good job chris - you are fighting the good fight!
    it sounds to me like that is their way of saying that you won but want to make it
    look like they still have some kind of control - know what i mean?

hey - have you seen this video of the lady in florida who is going thru a battle of having ron paul signs on her truck - check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTqmDpcaXQw

maybe you can help her win this - $1000 a day fine - talk about insanity!

Glad to hear that it worked out, and that I didn't get you put in jail.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast