Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Page of Yahoo Again: Rand Paul: WH criticism of BP sounds 'un-American'

Front Page of Yahoo Again: Rand Paul: WH criticism of BP sounds 'un-American'

WASHINGTON – Kentucky's Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is criticizing President Barack Obama's handling of the gulf oil debacle as putting "his boot heel on the throat of BP."

Paul says Obama's criticism of the oil company sounds like an attack on business and "really un-American."

In an interview Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Paul says the president's response is part of the "blame game" that's played in the U.S. Paul said that leads to the thinking that tragic incidents are "always someone's fault" and added, sometimes accidents just happen.

Paul began the interview on the defensive when GMA host George Stephanopoulos tried to clarify Paul's position on whether civil rights laws should apply to private businesses. Paul, who won the Kentucky GOP primary Tuesday, asked when his honeymoon with the media started.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/...e/us_rand_paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The surge is working. Ron Paul's surge in the polls, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw24 View Post
    WASHINGTON – Kentucky's Republican Senate candidate Rand Paul is criticizing President Barack Obama's handling of the gulf oil debacle as putting "his boot heel on the throat of BP."

Paul says Obama's criticism of the oil company sounds like an attack on business and "really un-American."

In an interview Friday on ABC's "Good Morning America," Paul says the president's response is part of the "blame game" that's played in the U.S. Paul said that leads to the thinking that tragic incidents are "always someone's fault" and added, sometimes accidents just happen.

Paul began the interview on the defensive when GMA host George Stephanopoulos tried to clarify Paul's position on whether civil rights laws should apply to private businesses. Paul, who won the Kentucky GOP primary Tuesday, asked when his honeymoon with the media started.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100521/...e/us_rand_paul
    Well, that's not going to hurt him in Kentucky. It's just common sense.

The finger pointing to deflect blame when maybe it is something good people just didn't anticipate rather than just paying to clean it up (BP) and figuring if standards could prevent it in the future leads to those lofty sounding bills with the horrible unintended consequences being rushed through.

Before Rand pulls back or qualifies really good things he says, he should remember that over 70% of GOP per Rasmussen think their leadership is out of touch with the base.

I liked it when he said that. He's absolutely right. Obama's initial reaction to every crisis is to viciously attack somebody.

sorry, duplicate post
    Last edited by Bruno; 05-21-2010 at 07:41 AM.

I wish Rand would quit using the "honeymoon" joke. He had his honeymoon already during the primary where he was pretty much left alone by the MSM. The Palin deal plus the tea party backing kept attacks from Fox off the table. And since his opponent was making attacks (mostly) from the right MSNBC and others had little interest. It's a different ballgame now.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

merged dup threads.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I wish Rand would quit using the "honeymoon" joke. He had his honeymoon already during the primary where he was pretty much left alone by the MSM. The Palin deal plus the tea party backing kept attacks from Fox off the table. And since his opponent was making attacks (mostly) from the right MSNBC and others had little interest. It's a different ballgame now.
    He is pointing out to people that the media was poised to jump down his throat the second he won the nomination. And nitwit saying 'I'm only discussing issues that arise in the campaign' as if Rand ever ONCE brought up the civil rights act of 1964 himself....

It is a joke as you said to lighten the situation up and allow people to feel a connection with him as a person. It is to break any hostility one feels toward him because of the MSM. Most good speakers do it when they begin speaking.

ssforronpaul

Rand locking up with the White House.

I'm behind you Rand, git'm!!
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by ssforronpaul View Post
    It is a joke as you said to lighten the situation up and allow people to feel a connection with him as a person. It is to break any hostility one feels toward him because of the MSM. Most good speakers do it when they begin speaking.

ssforronpaul
    I think it is a lame "joke" but sure. I'd have to watch the interview again, but he did do an EXCELLENT job at the beginning of that interview of lightening it up and changing the tone, good mojo. Caught me off guard how naturally he did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post

I hope that whitehouse spokesman takes the bait again like he did with the whole civil rights bruhaha. That is what we want. We want the KY voters to think of it as Rand Vs. Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I hope that whitehouse spokesman takes the bait again like he did with the whole civil rights bruhaha. That is what we want. We want the KY voters to think of it as Rand Vs. Obama.
    Yep.

Unbelievable that he actually got attention from the White House. No better way to win this election than to make himself Obama's sworn enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Unbelievable that he actually got attention from the White House. No better way to win this election than to make himself Obama's sworn enemy.
    AP Radio News updates on satellite talk radio mention his attack on the White House this morning about BP as saying the WH is attacking Private Businesses.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    AP Radio News updates on satellite talk radio mention his attack on the White House this morning about BP as saying the WH is attacking Private Businesses.
    If he manages to get another response from the WH, I think some are going to realize Rand is no political-gamesman lightweight.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    He is pointing out to people that the media was poised to jump down his throat the second he won the nomination. And nitwit saying 'I'm only discussing issues that arise in the campaign' as if Rand ever ONCE brought up the civil rights act of 1964 himself....
    The issue arose out of the campaign because Rand's opponent brought it up. It's naive to think that the media isn't going to ask you to respond to an attack by your opponent. When Rand was interviewed by the blogger Mica Sims she asked him about the BS Grayson attacks about abortion also. The difference was that was clearly a friendly interview. Really the only thing that's surprising about any of this is that people are surprised. A few months ago people were crowing about how much better of a candidate Rand was than his father or than Medina, not realizing he simply hadn't been attacked by the media yet.

That said, after watching the interview itself I think he did a good job. And yeah I can see the "icebreaker - joke" angle. But if Rand and everyone else doesn't brace themselves and realize what's happening now is the "norm" and the primary was the exception then we're in for a rude awakening.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

This is great.
    Now they need to ask Conway if he agrees that Obama's actions were unamerican.

is rand siding with BP? may not be the wisest move all things considered
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I think it is a lame "joke" but sure. I'd have to watch the interview again, but he did do an EXCELLENT job at the beginning of that interview of lightening it up and changing the tone, good mojo. Caught me off guard how naturally he did it.
    Ok, I watched it again.
    He laughed, in reply to Georgie saying, "we're just asking the questions that come up in the context of this campaign" and he laughed at him for that. It was his laugh, it was very infectious for the viewer I think.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepusher View Post
    I got the impression he was siding against "the blame game", not with BP.

He didn't side with BP. But when Secretary of Energy Ken Salazaar says he's keeping his boot on BP's neck, he thinks that's idiotic.

BP didn't say, "Hey! Let's kill eleven of our workers, blow-up an oil rig, and gush millions of barrels of oil into the ocean."

This is going to ruin their business. I don't think they'll ever recover from it. They're self-insured because of the massive risk of what they do. When you see they have "$6.5 billion in profits in Q1," that's not $6.5 billion in cash profit, but accounting profit.

Before this is over, BP's liability is going to be so massive that they'll be selling assets to raise cash to pay the settlements. I doubt it'll last as a viable enterprise, will probably enter bankruptcy, and it's U.S. assets placed into receivership by the U.S. government (BP is a British company).

Rand said that accidents happen. There is no need to kick BP when they're down. He also didn't say that the EPA didn't have a role, as he believed there need to be some sort of regulations on international waters.

BPs motives were profits. They could not directly cap the well to start with because regulations dictate that a capped well is a dead well. They were trying to cap it so that it could remain a viable well for thier investment. Non of the half measures were working. If I understand correctly I think if they had been allowed to cap it to start with they would reopen it when they could and all would be done with by now.

I think Rand should call for using a small tactical nuclear weapon to seal off the sea floor.
    “We have it in our power to begin the world over again.” - Thomas Paine

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    it's fine. just a chance to let the public see him smiling. it disarms them.

Rand's defense of capitalism and business may attract some good donors i.e corporate donors who believe in free markets rather than donors looking for something off him .

This is full attack mode, huh? That's twice this morning that's he's on the front page of Yahoo!.

The article mistates what happened. Rand didn't say they were putting a bootheel on the throat of BP, that was the incendiary language of the administration, and Rand was saying that sort of blame before the facts were known wasn't helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RforRevolution View Post
    This is full attack mode, huh? That's twice this morning that's he's on the front page of Yahoo!.
    Rand Paul v. the White House . . . great place to start from, it can be the daily political news, a great boost to the US Senate campaign.
    And hopefully a few more years of this during the Ron Paul 2012 campaign against BO.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    I liked it when he said that. He's absolutely right. Obama's initial reaction to every crisis is to viciously attack somebody.
    I agree with this completely.
    “Do you not know, my son, with how little wisdom the world is governed?” - Oxenstiern

Violence will not save us. Let us love one another, for love is from God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast