Thread: Jack Conway says cancer patients shouldn't be allowed to have medical marijuana.

Jack Conway says cancer patients shouldn't be allowed to have medical marijuana.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Independent "liberal" groups should attack him on this, Rand should stay away from it.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

Bama, I appreciate you posting these threads.

How loving and "progressive" of him.

He's a tough son of a bitch!

I like your signature Bama!

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRey View Post
    How loving and "progressive" of him.
    I know, right?

Why does something tell me he would change his mind... say if he himself got cancer?

What kind of person thinks it is ok for people to have morphine, but not weed, which lets you be more aware of your surroundings, for the pain?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    Why does something tell me he would change his mind... say if he himself got cancer?

What kind of person thinks it is ok for people to have morphine, but not weed, which lets you be more aware of your surroundings, for the pain?
    ..an attorney/politician

Quote Originally Posted by BamaFanNKy View Post
    I used that video in my senior seminar presentation for criminal justice last year. Topic was ending prohibition again, didn't go over that well..

Quote Originally Posted by FSP-Rebel View Post
    I used that video in my senior seminar presentation for criminal justice last year. Topic was ending prohibition again, didn't go over that well..
    LOL, it didn't go over well?

Funny thing. The Owners of the biggest beer distributor in the state is a max donor of Jack's. Hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by sirgonzo420 View Post
    LOL, it didn't go over well?
    After I had given the speech, most people changed the way they looked at me even tho my prez was on point. One of them conceded I was right but they were in it for job security.

Funny thing. The Owners of the biggest beer distributor in the state is a max donor of Jack's. Hmmm.
    They're afraid of competition.

Tracy
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=720941620
    http://www.myspace.com/anarkyisorder

Tracy

PS Please donate to our SD Liberty PAC and send as many Ron Paul delegates to Tampa from SD as possible.
    http://southdakotaforliberty.com/
    Like us on facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/South...74626939256447

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    But sleazy politicians can have a glass of wine with dinner? What a butt-chinned Nazi.

Can you find anything from him on industrial hemp? I understand there is a bill in the state legislature on it and a study by UK showed that it could be a huge crop for KY, esp. for farmers looking to replace tobacco.

http://www.publicbroadcasting.net/wk....Hemp.Industry
    MURRAY, KY (wkms) - Not so many years ago in the United States, the hemp plant was widely grown for its fiber and seed. But hemp has fallen out of favor in the United States, partly due to its close relation to marijuana. Cultivating either is illegal, although that may change. Kentucky, once one of the leading hemp producers in the nations, is looking to revive the industry. Angela Hatton has the story.

Shirts, bags, jewelry, and twine are among the hemp merchandise that Murray retail store owner Valerie Hancock sells.

"I don't pick things because they're hemp, but I know that I have customers that come in who look specifically for hemp items or items that do contain hemp."

Hancock says the hemp for her products is cultivated and refined overseas, in countries like Turkey and Tibet. However, legislation headed for the 2010 Kentucky General Assembly would allow Hancock to buy her hemp from regional farmers. Senator Joey Pendleton of Hopkinsville is sponsoring a measure to legalize industrial hemp. Pendleton has backed the bill before, but he says this time is different.

"Now that the federal government is saying we're going to give it back to the states; if they want to legalize it and be able to grow it, that's up to them.' And that's why I got excited about it, and I think honestly that's the reason you're seeing this thing's catching on now."

Pendleton expects the Obama administration to formally announce in November or December that it will not interfere with a state's desire to legalize hemp. Pendleton believes Kentucky would greatly benefit from hemp production. Advocates for the plant point to its many uses over 25,000 to date according to information from to the North American Industrial Hemp Council. Those uses include cosmetics, car door panels, sun tan lotion and pressboard. As the Commonwealth focuses on a renewable energy plan, Pendleton says he's become interested in hemp's use as a bio-fuel.

"You make more bio-diesel or ethanol from an acre of hemp than you can from an acre of corn."

In the past, Pendleton says he's heard outcry from law enforcement at the proposition of legalizing hemp, but not so this time.

"But I think they're understanding more. Now the industrial hemp doesn't have the THC that the smoking kind has."

Hemp leaves contain less than one percent of the psychoactive chemical tetrahydrocannabinol, while marijuana leaves contain three to twenty percent THC. But not so fast, says Kentucky State Police spokesman Trooper John Hawkins. He says the KSP still very much opposes industrial hemp. Hawkins says it and marijuana are the same species, cannabis sativa.

"It's very difficult for us to determine by sight which one is hemp and which one is marijuana. So from an eradication standpoint it would make our job much more difficult."

Also Hawkins says the results of cross pollination between hemp and marijuana aren't known.

"You may get a lower THC content in marijuana, but you also may get a higher content with the hemp plant."

Senator Pendleton says this wouldn't be an issue because illegal drug growers wouldn't want to take the risk of diluting their crop. According to hemp farmers, their plant is usually harvested before the buds that contain THC develop. Farmers also plant hemp close together, further distinguishing it from marijuana, where plots are spread out.

Even though the organization opposes industrial hemp, Hawkins says the KSP won't move to block the measure.

"We just don't do that. If the legislature requests information from the state police, we'll provide that."

Pendleton believes Kentucky stands poised on the frontlines of hemp production, with a growing season twice as long as Canada's, the state's potential rival to the north. They've been cultivating hemp for over a decade. Other states too, including North Dakota and Maine, are working toward their own hemp infrastructures. In Kentucky, Pendleton says the hemp issue is win-win.

"I think with the way the economy is now, the agriculture community is looking for another crop. We're looking at biomass as to have an alternative there to corn. And then people are looking at number of people that's laid off; this will create jobs to get factories to come here to make things out of the product."

The 2010 General Assembly is still months ahead and there's no way to know for sure what greeting the hemp bill will receive in the legislature. But if Pendleton and his supporters are correct, this could be one seed that doesn't die on the Senate floor.
    Last edited by specsaregood; 05-20-2010 at 09:30 PM.

I'd say the survey should be released mid election process.

Wow..that's pretty bad, but typical of many Democrats.

hmmm

maybe drop this bomb on DailyKos/DU but I expect most KY voters agree with that position

Quote Originally Posted by DeadheadForPaul View Post
    hmmm

maybe drop this bomb on DailyKos/DU but I expect most KY voters agree with that position
    No. A major Governor candidate here does well on this issue. Plus, we have a study right now where it could be a farming boom for Kentucky.

Jack Conway would not allow Robin ROberts to have medicinal marijuana if she needed it during cancer treatment.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No. A major Governor candidate here does well on this issue. Plus, we have a study right now where it could be a farming boom for Kentucky.
    Gatewood?

I like Gatewood, I've hung out with him a bit - but he hasn't ever won.