Thread: Cautiously, I direct you to comment on Rachel Maddow's blog... DON'T BE A DOUCHE!!!!

Cautiously, I direct you to comment on Rachel Maddow's blog... DON'T BE A DOUCHE!!!!

So the comments on her blog are already stacking up, I think we need some reinforcements, I've already commented.

AND DON'T BE A DOUCHE!!! Don't accuse Rachel of "being a tool for the communist left". She is not, she is an independent reporter who really disagrees with Rand on this issue. We need to clarify Rand's position, and the way private citizens can deal with discrimination, outside of government force.

Once again....

WE ARE THE FACE OF THE CAMPAIGN, REMAIN CIVIL!!!

My comment:

Rachel, you should have handled this interview differently, knowing what political realities Rand is having to deal with. You want him to give a simple "Yes or No" question to a complicated issue on the proper role of government?

Do you know that the INSTANT he gives a yes or no answer, his opponents automatically have a soundbite to use against him in attack ads, out of context, making him appear anti-civil rights?

He simply believes that freedom of association, inherent in freedom of speech, should not be compromised in order to change the behavior of individuals. He believes societies should find other ways, outside of government force, to stop racism and discrimination. This includes the boycotting and protesting of businesses with discriminatory practices. Is this really such a terrible position?

Rand is a candidate who wants to reduce the size of our military empire, end memberships in anti-democratic "free-trade" organizations like the WTO and IMF, stop the never-ending flow of bailouts to corrupt multi-national banks and corporations. He also wants to actually restore habeas corpus by repealing the MIC, something Obama promised to do on the campaign trail, but has yet to do.

In your interview, you made him seem like the least progressive candidate in the history of the country. When in reality, he is truly one of the most progressive. I hope your future interviews bring this to light.
    http:// maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2010/05/20/4313688-rand-paul-on-maddow-fallout-begins
    Last edited by BenIsForRon; 05-20-2010 at 07:15 AM.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    commented
    We'll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the American public believes is false. -- William Casey, CIA Director

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.-- Mark Twain

When people like us-- the scum of society-- don't risk our lives when a rare chance comes our way, we become losers at that moment. So courage is the only thing we can rely on.-- Anchan
    Rick Simpson Hemp Oil

Rand is right what right do we have to tell private individuals how to behave on their property? Discrimination is not a use of force. No one is hurt physically when someone refuses to associate. Are you anti freedom of association? I doubt but it seems like you are going that way if you advocate such attacks on individual rights.

What happens now to all Latino clubs or ethnic businesses that have to keep that appearance of ethnicity going with their employees. Are those businesses now forced to integrate or we are going to make an arbitrary law excluding them from CRA?

Jim Crow laws were passed because people were naturally coming together. Stop the hate support Rand in public desegregation and in private fight for private desegregation.

Can some one look over my comment before I post?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

Sounds pretty good to me, maybe you don't need to accuse her of attacking individual rights. This is a complex issue, and it is completely understandable why people at the time wanted government to force desegregation of private businesses. It was an ugly time.
    if modern agriculture continues to follow the path it's on now, it's finished. The food-growing situation may seem to be in good shape today, but that's just an illusion based on the current availability of petroleum fuels. All the wheat, corn, and other crops that are produced on big American farms may be alive and growing, but they're not products of real nature or real agriculture. They're manufactured rather than grown. The earth isn't producing those things.. petroleum is! -Masanobu Fukuoka

Commented. Great post. If Liberty Forest can stay on top of the latest blogs & articles about Rand Paul we can salvage some of these pages by posting in the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by BenIsForRon View Post
    So the comments on her blog are already
    AND DON'T BE A DOUCHE!!! Don't accuse Rachel of "being a tool for the communist left". She is not, she is an independent reporter who really disagrees with Rand on this issue.
    I don't agree that she is an indpendent reporter. Not after this interview. No independant reporter would shamelessly corner someone like she did with Rand Paul in her latest interview.
    ----
    Announcing Liberty Planet !
    -----------------
    Follow me on Twitter: libplanet

Quote Originally Posted by Zoomer View Post
    Commented. Great post. If Liberty Forest can stay on top of the latest blogs & articles about Rand Paul we can salvage some of these pages by posting in the comments.

I don't agree that she is an indpendent reporter. Not after this interview. No independant reporter would shamelessly corner someone like she did with Rand Paul in her latest interview.
    I forget which issue it was that led me to conclude that at the end of the day she takes direction from Move on, but I have concluded that. this was organized. Check out Kerry's letter on 'Rand's position' sent nationwide even before the primary.

should probably break the link
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    should probably break the link
    Why?

I did, but I assume you have good reason.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There is really no reason to break links unless you don't want to give them trafic or want to hide it like the dig sites. Maddow is neither, it is a blog and a well traveled one at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    I forget which issue it was that led me to conclude that at the end of the day she takes direction from Move on, but I have concluded that. this was organized. Check out Kerry's letter on 'Rand's position' sent nationwide even before the primary.
    It was NPR from earlier in the day who drilled him. I listened to that interview and it was an interrogation more than an interview.

Once Rand gave an ambiguous answer on NPR, anyone remotely following politics knew about it.
    "It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world. "
    George Washington

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by BenIsForRon View Post
    Sounds pretty good to me, maybe you don't need to accuse her of attacking individual rights. This is a complex issue, and it is completely understandable why people at the time wanted government to force desegregation of private businesses. It was an ugly time.
    I'm going to have to agree with BenisForRon for once and perhaps go further. It is a complex issue, and I see why the Civil rights Act was necessary considering what was occuring in certain parts of the country. I respect the opinion of Rand and sticking to his guns which I hope he continues to do so, but I disagree with his analysis and conclusion.
    "It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world. "
    George Washington

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"
    James Madison

I was surprised by the civility and intellegent discussion over there, unlike most liberal blogs, even though I disagree with their stance.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

I hope Rachel reads the post in the OP, that was spot on.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

From me:
    ================================================== =========
    Rachael, a few gaffs you made in your interview.

1) You brought up Bob Jones university. Do you realize that it was never challenged under the Civil Rights Act? That undercuts your position that the CRA somehow ended all racial discrimination in private businesses that were public accommodations. And Bob Jones' policy was well known. The reason Bob Jones university finally ended its policy against interracial dating in 2000 was because of the public outcry against it. So if you think that public pressure can desegregate in the case of BJU, why do you (apparently) think it's ineffective in other areas? Or do you think special legislation should have been passed to force the change even though public pressure worked fine?

2) You kept bringing up Woolworth's lunch counters. Are you aware of the fact that most of the lunch counters desegregated before the civil rights act was passed based solely on the public pressure placed on them by the sit ins?

3) You brought up the question of a small town where a private business owner might want to open up a segregated swimming pool. Are you aware of the fact that a private owner could do that anyway? He would just have to call the swimming pool a "private club" and only let white people join.

4) You don't seem to understand what Rand was saying about the Interstate Commerce Clause. Most people don't. Please read a case called Wickard v. Filburn. That case is what set the stage for the ICC to be used in ways it was never intended. In particular in that case the court decided that the government could tell a farmer that he couldn't grow "excess wheat" even though he was only using it to feed his family and livestock. Most people who read this case are abhorred that the government would exert that much control over a private farmer. But this is the precedent that was later used to uphold the CRA. The ends of the CRA are indeed good, as Rand pointed out on your show and has now reiterated in his press release. But the means were indeed questionable. When Rand was saying that he would have tried to modify the language in that ONE title, he was, in my opinion, saying that he wanted to achieve the same ends, but under less questionable means.

Anyway, this is a red herring. I hope during the rest of this political season the media will focus on more substantive issues. If our economy ends up imploding due to the massive debt we keep piling on and we end up like Greece, nobody black or white will care what someone thinks about the particular phrasing of one piece of decades old legislation.
    ================================================== =========
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

When Rachel said that in Paul's philosophy there would be nothing to stop racism she was dead wrong. Unfortunetly Paul didn't correct her. Market forces would stop racism rather well. Racism is pretty much always irrational, and therefor unprofitable. The business owners that act irrationally would do poorly against those that act rationally. The businesses that choose to discriminate would be weeded out by the market. This is where greed is a good thing - no white or black or yellow or red, just green.

Racism is generally irrational and would only be profitable in very specialized cases. An example would be a bar in a tiny racist town - if they started letting blacks in then maybe the other patrons would stop coming. But then, since the vast majority of the town would have to hate blacks in this hypothetical, I doubt there are any blacks living there anyways. This is surely an extreme case.

An alternative not-so-extreme is that we would have to regulate all strip clubs to make sure they're not discriminating based on age, sex, race, and disability.
    Last edited by ivflight; 05-20-2010 at 01:45 PM.