Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My concerns about Jack Conway

The advice in this thread by armchair quarterbacks who still care what the MSM thinks, or think that the tea party are racists is nonsense.

The people are not buying the $#@! the MSM spews anymore, at least not in Kentucky. If he gets attacked, the more money will go into his coffers, and the more energized his supporters will be.

The worst thing Rand can do right now is vacillate on his positions. He needs to clarify, but not change his libertarian message that has got him this far.

Rand Paul, even if he loses, can get the respect of millions for his principled and consistant message which will only grow the movement nationally.
    "It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances with any portion of the foreign world. "
    George Washington

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations"
    James Madison

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post
    I think you will be in for quite a surprise.

the two party thingy is essentially a sham. They have differences, but it isn't based on the size of government. a candidate that truly wants to shrink the federal government is not going to be helped by the establishment, they will try to cut his knees out. They will provide lip service so as to not appear too blatant, but we still have our work cut out for us.
    Self motivation and self interests can be powerful motivating factors. Mitch McConnell gambled on Trey Grayson and lost. Now he has a big time reason for Rand Paul not to lose. It's nothing about protecting his own party. Sarah Palin bet on Rand Paul and won. She has every reason to want to see Rand win big time. While I'm no Palin fan and would rather win without her, I have to (grudgingly) admit she'll be helpful keeping the powers that be off Rand's back. Notice how Fox news never went after Rand like they went after his dad. They certainly could have.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I understand, and will happily concede, that it may be Rand's intent to re-(re)-define the Tea Party. I had actually considered addressing that possibility in my original post in this thread. But I still maintain that he need not repeatedly define himself as THE Tea Party candidate. Let them come around to him. And if he proves himself to be the best spokesman for limited government, they will.

In the interim, he can freely espouse the principles of small government, lower taxes and even shout anti-Obama-isms from the rooftops if he wants, but he DOESN'T need to mouth the words "Tea Party" in every other sentence. Toning down that rhetoric does not mean alienating or even distancing himself from the Tea Party, but it will help insulate him from attacks directed at "Tea-Baggers" by the Olbermanns and Matthews' of this world. I say, let Sarah Palin take the brunt of that. Moreover, this does not require that Rand go "off message" even one iota.

However large the actual Tea Party is (and I suspect it's not as large as assumed by some), there are huge segments of the populace that view it negatively, and this includes many who are, otherwise, all for the basic concepts of smaller government and reduced spending.

The percentage of those turned off by the Tea Party antics may be smaller in KY than in the nation at large but, whether 70% or 5%, why risk that association when you can have their support free of charge. If Rand never mentions the words 'Tea Party' again, I doubt he'll lose one single vote to Jack Conway because of it.
    There is only one success -- to be able to spend your life in your own way.
    -- Christopher Morley (1890 - 1957)

If the Olbermann's and Matthews of the world want to attack Rand as a "tea bagger" they will regardless of whether or not he ever uses the term "tea party" again. And sure, losing votes to John Conway from tea party folks won't be a problem. Some people deciding to "skip this one" or "not donate" or whatever could be. A lot of winning elections is energizing your base. And everything that you do to try to "not turn off" one voter or another risks "not turning on" some member of your base to do something besides "not vote for the other guy".

However I'm really not that worried. Rachel Maddow (anti teabagger extraordinaire) has been friendly to Rand (and to Ron for that matter).
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Rachel Maddow (anti teabagger extraordinaire) has been friendly to Rand (and to Ron for that matter).
    Now that progressive Jack Conway is running against Rand, I highly doubt that Maddow will still be friendly to Rand.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12