Thread: Biggest GOP Turnout Ever

Biggest GOP Turnout Ever

Saul Anuziz just tweeted that today's election was the biggest KY GOP primary turnout ever.

Randslide!

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    lol, that's the same guy that wanted to ban Ron Paul from future GOP debates back in early 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    lol, that's the same guy that wanted to ban Ron Paul from future GOP debates back in early 2007.
    Another reason why this is important. Marginalizing Ron Paul in 2012 (or whoever carries the liberty banner) will be impossible.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshLowry View Post
    It is, but the Michiganders reached out to him ASAP and fixed that relationship. He's an ok guy.

All I have is the twitter

Kentucky Primary Results with 98.0% reporting: Paul 58.9% vs Grayson 35.4% - On to the Senate w/largest GOP turnout ever!
    RT @angelatc: @sanuzis Really? The largest GOP turnout in KY? // yup-that's what they just reported. 39 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    Another reason why this is important. Marginalizing Ron Paul in 2012 (or whoever carries the liberty banner) will be impossible.
    i hadnt thought of that angle.

that's gooooood. i think you're right. just as ron paul helped get Rand some national attention, now Rand can help Ron get some more mainstream attention and, more importantly, serious consideration!

TAG TEAM!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    if kentucky is such a conservative state, why did the dems have such a large turnout?
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    They won't need to because all of the candidates are going to co-opt his platform.

Quote Originally Posted by libertybrewcity View Post
    if kentucky is such a conservative state, why did the dems have such a large turnout?
    Conservative Dems, more registered Dems than Republicans, but in state wide and federal races they tend to vote Republican.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

more registered democrats than republicans. we have a democratic governor, and its always a highly contested, close race. we generally vote republican in federal elections, though.

KY is full of the dying breed of conservative democrats. you know, the ones Obama is helping to alienate so well.

so they vote for a dem in the primary and then vote for a republican in the general? interesting..
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

There are a lot of southern Dems who just haven't come over to the GOP side

You still see it to some degree in TN too

Southern Dems are closer to Republicans than they are to Obama

Most Southern Dems I know are pro-2nd amendment, pro-life, anti-Washington

so they vote for a dem in the primary and then vote for a republican in the general? interesting..
    we have closed primaries. they have to vote in the democratic primary.

also, in my county (Floyd) there were ZERO Republican candidates running for local office. ZERO. I voted ONLY for the US Senate because I am registered Republican. That's really, really discouraging to people that would otherwise vote for a Republican.

I mean, national politics are important, but so is electing a sheriff, a magistrate, a constable, and a county judge executive, etc. etc. People like having a vote.

that being said, i think open primaries are really silly.

Quote Originally Posted by amisspelledword View Post
    also, in my county (Floyd) there were ZERO Republican candidates running for local office. ZERO. I voted ONLY for the US Senate because I am registered Republican. That's really, really discouraging to people that would otherwise vote for a Republican.

I mean, national politics are important, but so is electing a sheriff, a magistrate, a constable, and a county judge executive, etc. etc. People like having a vote.

that being said, i think open primaries are really silly.
    I will argue that open (or semi-open) primaries are NOT silly. They are actually more representative of the voice of the voters.

I don't care if my aldermanic candidate CLAIMS to be R or D, I just care that they will do their job and not stick an R or D after their name in order to get more votes. Same with Magistrate, constable, dog catcher, school board, etc. That is a LOCAL issue, and who knows those candidates better than the locals? (I've seen some former-Massachusetts Democrats move to New Hampshire, change their party affiliation to Republican and get elected, but I've also seen plenty who were sent packing. And you can count on plenty more who claim to be Republican to be given walking papers in the next two years, because they have been stacking the deck since 2006...)

Here in New Hampshire, we have a somewhat "open" primary system. I am an "Undeclared" voter (AKA Independent), and as such, I do not have to re-register or change my party affiliation by some arbitrarily-set date months before a primary.

I walk in to my precinct, give my name/address to the poll worker. They see that I am Undeclared/independent, and ask me which way I will vote for the Congress/Presidential primary. I can select R or D- but no matter who else I am also voting for in that election, that is their benchmark. They hand me a blue or red slip of paper, and mark which way I chose to vote for the major race. Then I go into the booth and vote. I have the option of voting for ANY of the candidates, regardless of their claimed political party. Also, write-in candidates are pretty popular.

After I vote, I walk over to another poll worker's table and fill out a very short form to re-affirm my Undeclared/Independent status. In over 10 years, neither my spouse nor I- nor any of our friends or neighbors- have had any problems with this system.

I think all states should adopt this very simple primary voting method. 40% of New Hampshire voters are Undeclared, and all across the country, statewide party affiliation percentages are rapidly approaching this.

Closed primaries only sweeten the pot and stack the deck for the ESTABLISHMENT thugs to grind their heels into our foreheads. We've all seen firsthand how that works out. This is the time for the Independent voter to make their vote count- because the political machine, for now, only "allows" R's and D's to have the stage.
    Last edited by Live Free or Die; 05-18-2010 at 11:31 PM.

Ron Paul for the Long Haul!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It goes back to the invasion of the South to prevent independence in the 1860's. After that the Yank Republicans began to screw the South as as much as they could, and so there was a lot of resentment, thus most Southerners are Democrats even though they are conservative. The idea of being a Democrat has been passed down through generations. Fortunately though the Dems in the South tend to be more conservative than liberal.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/beh...nd-the-numbers

More ballots were cast in yesterday's Democratic primary for U.S. Senate in Kentucky than in the Republican, but the total number of votes cast masks a stunning turnaround in the state's historical turnout patterns.

Several bloggers (see examples here, here and here) have argued that Rand Paul's easy victory in the Republican primary may not mean much come November given the lower number of voters in the Republican contest. But such an analysis overlooks essential historical context. (Some also miss the critical fact that Democrats outnumber Republicans in the state by about 600,000 voters.)

According to data from Kentucky's Board of Elections, in no state primary going back to 1982 did Republican turnout top Democratic turnout, until this year.

At last update, 34 percent of registered Republicans and 32 percent of registered Democrats cast ballots yesterday. In contrast, in primaries since 1982, Democratic turnout has outpaced Republican turnout by an average 10 percentage points, with the narrowest Democratic advantage standing at 2.5 percentage points in the 2007 gubernatorial primaries. The largest gap was a whopping 29 percentage points in 1983.

Of course, the Democrats' edge in primary vote turnout hasn't always turned into an advantage in November, so this result doesn't translate directly into an edge for the Republicans this time, but it is a sharp deviation from nearly 30 years of voting statistics.
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    It goes back to the invasion of the South to prevent independence in the 1860's. After that the Yank Republicans began to screw the South as as much as they could, and so there was a lot of resentment, thus most Southerners are Democrats even though they are conservative. The idea of being a Democrat has been passed down through generations. Fortunately though the Dems in the South tend to be more conservative than liberal.
    My grandparents were southern Dems and held some very conservative positions

Lot of Southern Dems are Baptists (pro-life) and pro-2nd Amendment.

They also hate the Barack Obama/Nancy Pelosi wing of the Dem party