Thread: Rand Paul pulling attacks off TV, airing positive ads

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hmm. Intriguing! But "churlish?" Really? :O

Because Grayson's Looney Tunes ad isn't churlish, at all....

I will miss the Machine ads.

Good article I think
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Good to hear this.

WaPo doesn't call it 'churlish'

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051404596.html

But I'm still pissed at WaPo for the front page picture yesterday.

Grayson campaign manager Nate Hodson says he's pleased Paul decided to pull the ads.
    Of course he is..

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The only reason I don't like this is that it fall into what Grayson was talking about how if Rand was winning, why would he still be running negative ads.

While I agree with the assessment, I don't like that Grayson said it first.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

Well hopefully McGrayson take this as a sign of de-escalation rather than an opportunity for more attacks.

If the article is right I don't think anyone is going to believe Sarah Palin, Jim Bunning, DeMint etc. are backing someone who isn't conservative. Also McGrayson would be essentially attacking them as the ads would be run side-by-side.
    "We took it in the shorts with Bush-Cheney, the Iraq War, and by sacrificing fiscal responsibility to hold power.”
    ~John Boehner, GOP Minority Leader

"Take out all this movement stuff. There is no movement.... Look, I know this probably sounds arrogant to say but I redefined the Republican Party." ~President George W. Bush to speechwriter

Trayson released a statement on a local news program saying that airing negative ads while this far ahead shows how Rand is still afraid of Trayson's candidacy.

I hope this wasn't a response to that but thought out on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Trayson released a statement on a local news program saying that airing negative ads while this far ahead shows how Rand is still afraid of Trayson's candidacy.

I hope this wasn't a response to that but thought out on their own.
    A bunch of people, here and in blogs, have been suggesting he tone down the attacks for more positive ads. I sincerely doubt this was in response to Trayson's campaign voice.

Quote Originally Posted by sailingaway View Post
    But I'm still pissed at WaPo for the front page picture yesterday.
    Yeah, that was a cheap and desperate attack on Rand.

People do get tired of the constant negative attacks.
    In 200 years the American people have replaced 1 dictator 3,000 miles away with 3,000 dictators 1 mile away.

It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority.--Benjamin Franklin

No man's life, liberty or fortune is safe
    while our legislature is in session
    .--Benjamin Franklin

they should just air the Palin, Bunning and Dobson ads, those are the best ones IMHO

It's a good strategy because if Rand Paul is playing positive ads about Rand Paul, and Grayson is playing negative ads about Rand Paul, then all people hear is "Rand Paul" before Tuesday and they go and vote for Rand Paul. Call me crazy, but that is how mass psychology seems to work.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Still think we need Dobson ads running. Still hearing from concerned voters on some of those issues, and that ad will clear up their concerns.

Trey Grayson is launching a new attack on Rand Paul over farm subsidies.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Trey Grayson is launching a new attack on Rand Paul over farm subsidies.
    it won't do anything.

also, after the Trey Spends ad by the Rand campaign, his future political career is over. hope someone saves it and keep it online after the campaign is over.

Paul should have taken this route in the first place. I've been really disappointed that Paul has attempted to stoop to the level of Grayson at some points during this campaign, rather than taking the high road. Negative campaigning never wins elections.

That being said: GO RAND!!!
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020
    http://www.DraftAmash.com

Quote Originally Posted by aspiringconstitutionalist View Post
    Negative campaigning never wins elections
    You haven't studied political science very much have you?
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

There isn't any point in airing negative attack ads when you're up by 15 points. You only air negative ads when you're behind. This is a good move on Rand's part.

Seriously, if Grayson runs for re-election (if he can do that, not sure about the rules) in '11, a constitutional conservative should run against him.

I am sitting in my hotel room in Bowling Green and the Rand Paul kooky ad just came on from the AFF clowns. Strangely enough I had it on CNN. It talks about Rand saying coal isn't clean, and that Iran isn't a threat with just 1 nuke. Don't they realize that only helps him with the CNN crowd in the general?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I am sitting in my hotel room in Bowling Green and the Rand Paul kooky ad just came on from the AFF clowns. Strangely enough I had it on CNN. It talks about Rand saying coal isn't clean, and that Iran isn't a threat with just 1 nuke. Don't they realize that only helps him with the CNN crowd in the general?
    What I remember from when we chipped in to air the High Tide ad, the costs of airing vary wildly, and you kind of pick 'one big exposure, Monday, one big exposure Saturday, and outdoor channel (and similar) about 55 times....' or at least, we did. I agree that for that money they should have been able to get Fox, but maybe they are there too. However, i think TREY watches CNN, which is why only the Republicans labeling themselves as 'liberal' went for him in the polls.

I wouldn't have took my negative ads off, not when my opponent still has a chance and is smearing me across the state.

Pulling your "negative" ads is NOT running like you are 10 points behind!
    Hear Congressman Paul's weekly legislative update toll free 888-322-1414

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    You haven't studied political science very much have you?
    Campaigns win in spite of negative campaigning, not because of it.
    DRAFT JUSTIN AMASH 2020
    http://www.DraftAmash.com

He needs to keep running the 'Machine' ads.. those are bold, powerful and effective IMO.

The truth can be negative, but its still the truth.