Thread: best emergency food supply?

best emergency food supply?

i just bought 2 full cases of DOD MRE's from a reputable guy on ebay for $55 each including ship. so each bad comes to about $5.00 considering each bag comes not only with a main dish but with crackers, condiments, even matches and asswipes is this a good solution or better to spend the same amount of money at costco?

PS freeze dried stuff at the sporting goods store just seems TOTALLY overpriced.

PPS whoever follows my posts must think i am becoming progressively more negative on where we are headed. :-) thats because i am. IMHO europe will have social unrest due to severe cutbacks and austerity measures (just look at greece). in the USA the SHTF first in CA and/or AZ between the lower class mexicans and whites. because even the legal mexican immigrants think that all mexican have the right to be here, immigration laws be damned.
    Last edited by the count; 05-14-2010 at 08:19 AM.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Doomed when the Count is asking the best food supply. Have you looked at your avatar?

My sides are sore from laughing.

That's a good deal. Although it's far cheaper to buy basic ingredients from places like Costco, it's more convenient to just get the MRE's. I've bought from nitro-pak.com before and am pretty happy with what I got. They sell cases of mountainhouse freeze dried food among other survival stuff.

1 MRE! 2 MRE's! That's 3 military surplus MRE's! 4.....

But seriously, MRE's are loaded with nasty chemical preservatives. They either plug you up, or give you the squirts depending on if your body purges toxins, or stores toxins in fat.

They are not good for you. High calorie gut bombs.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    1 MRE! 2 MRE's! That's 3 military surplus MRE's! 4.....

But seriously, MRE's are loaded with nasty chemical preservatives. They either plug you up, or give you the squirts depending on if your body purges toxins, or stores toxins in fat.

They are not good for you. High calorie gut bombs.
    ....but that all-chemical Strawberry Milkshake from meal #5 tastes so yummy!

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Quote Originally Posted by the count View Post
    i just bought 2 full cases of DOD MRE's from a reputable guy on ebay for $55 each including ship. so each bad comes to about $5.00 considering each bag comes not only with a main dish but with crackers, condiments, even matches and asswipes is this a good solution or better to spend the same amount of money at costco?

PS freeze dried stuff at the sporting goods store just seems TOTALLY overpriced.

PPS whoever follows my posts must think i am becoming progressively more negative on where we are headed. :-) thats because i am. IMHO europe will have social unrest due to severe cutbacks and austerity measures (just look at greece). in the USA the SHTF first in CA and/or AZ between the lower class mexicans and whites. because even the legal mexican immigrants think that all mexican have the right to be here, immigration laws be damned.
    I need to learn on emergency food stockpiling myself, re: best bang for my buck, but I think MREs are practical. Just add water, and eat. A former vet once brought it to work and he gave me one. It tasted better than I'd expected.

MREs would be good if you need to bug out, but if you have a place to hunker down it is better to store bulk dry goods and water.
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

stocking up on rice isn't a bad thing to do. depends on how much storage space you have and what kind of diet you need.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    stocking up on rice isn't a bad thing to do. depends on how much storage space you have and what kind of diet you need.
    We have a big Puerto Rican community up here in NE Ohio of all places so you can get 25 and 50 pound bags of rice at the grocery store
    Insanity should be defined as trusting the government to solve a problem they caused in the first place. Please do not go insane!

Guys, stock up on stuff YOU ALREADY EAT!

Then ROTATE thru it in your normal diet.

If TSHTF, have enough to get you thru for ... whatever time line you personally find appropriate (I try to have 6 - 8 months, canned and dried in combination, on hand). Some of you won't be comfy with less than 2 years worth of stuff - that's cool, just please - BUY WHAT YOU ALREADY EAT!
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post

If TSHTF, have enough to get you thru for ... whatever time line you personally find appropriate (I try to have 6 - 8 months, canned and dried in combination, on hand). Some of you won't be comfy with less than 2 years worth of stuff - that's cool, just please - BUY WHAT YOU ALREADY EAT!
    One of my favorite poor man's/survival recipes is canned tuna fish in water with rice (any kind). Throw in vinegar to make it less bland. Crude, smelly, but extremely quick, passably tasty, filling, and nutritious (plenty of protein and carbohydrates).

Solid is better than chunk, but chunk works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by MsDoodahs View Post

What I already eat now is mostly fresh, though It does help to have some canned/dry stuff I can stomach, though I would never normally eat that sort of thing. Most canned food is too salty for my taste.

I am more of a hunter/gatherer if I'm out of food, but basic things like rice and good flour and lard (yes... lard... think biscuits and similar things, since you need a certain amount of fat in your diet) and sugar are always good to have on hand. I also like to have several packets of yeast around. Being able to have yummy, fresh, reliable bread helps almost any gamey meal or bunch of greens become less of a chore.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Put some oil in a skillet. Drain a can of salmon (I pick out any of the skin that's in there, too). Put salmon in skillet and crumble it up with your fork. "Fry" the salmon for a few moments. Then crack some eggs into the skillet and scramble them together.

Serve it with a can of pork and beans and some soda crackers. If you are lucky enough to have a fresh tomato to eat with it ...

yum.

I stocked up stable staples like wheat berries, oats, sugar, and rice, which I cycle through as I use them (I say I, but it's actually my mothers, who owns a bakery--with all the material that we have for that, we could eat for a decade, just need to trade for some fruit and veg.

Of course, I have a nice big shelf full of canned fruits, vegetables, and meats (along with a freezerfull of beef), so we could make due for a couple of years with no external output other than energy to run a stove/oven, at least food and water wise (I'm on a private well).

I ran through most of my stored sugar, used it in the garden.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Depending on how long one is planning on "hunkering down" there's always the "Just in Case" 7 day food supply from Mountain House for $124 plus shipping:
    http://www.mtnhse.com/mm5/merchant.m...ory_Code=MHEFK

I know the freeze dried is a little more expensive, (this deal works out to about $6/meal) but it's not nearly as bad for one's health as the MREs. Of course, having no food at all is way worse for one's health...

Edit:

As a PS I'll add that I've actually eaten this stuff while on camping trips and road trips, and it's actually not bad at all. The secret is getting the water good and hot before adding to reconstitute, and making sure one stirs very thoroughly.

For those of you buying MRE's, you can get Hormel's "Compleats", which make a nice little prepackaged meal, much like a frozen dinner, but without the need for refrigeration. They cost something like $2 each. You must supply your own silverware, napkins, and TP. They are fairly tasty, and have a balanced nutrition profile.

Depending on how cheap you want and what you're willing to sacrifice as far as how enjoyable your food is, there are a number of options.

I bought MainStay emergency food rations, got them considerably cheaper than they are now, but they're still quite a bit cheaper than MREs. As low as about 66 cents per 400 calorie "meal".

http://www.alexandersoutdoors.com/se...cy-Food/Detail

An even cheaper option is to keep a stock of seeds for sprouting. Alfalfa sprouts is one of the most complete single food sources you can get, and dirt cheap. I bought a 35lb bucket of alfalfa seeds for $105 ($158 now). A couple of tablespoons of seed sprouted can feed you all day, even if you have a big appetite. The down side is it requires around 6 days to sprout them to good size. If you're not on the move, keeping a rotation of sprouts going is a great way to keep healthy on the cheap, although you will likely want to have at least 1 meal a day that isn't just sprouts. Need to keep them well aerated and dry between watering to inhibit mold. Sprouting is one of those things you'll need to practice before relying on it though, but it's a great backup plan to supplement your emergency food supply.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprout...prout_seed.htm

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    I stocked up stable staples like wheat berries, oats, sugar, and rice, which I cycle through as I use them (I say I, but it's actually my mothers, who owns a bakery--with all the material that we have for that, we could eat for a decade, just need to trade for some fruit and veg.

Of course, I have a nice big shelf full of canned fruits, vegetables, and meats (along with a freezerfull of beef), so we could make due for a couple of years with no external output other than energy to run a stove/oven, at least food and water wise (I'm on a private well).
    That is awesome. I am currently trying to learn the principle of "Eat what you Store". I have allready converted over to powdered milk and am in the process of learning how to bake bread. Once I get a dehydrator at the end of the summer, I will be in full gear. My diet consist of bread, milk, fruits, vegetables, and grains (very simple). Once I have the dehydrator, my goal is to have near a year supply of food by the end of next year.

BTW...do you know of any easy recipes to create high fiber multigrain bread?

Get a cow.
    Turn grass into food.
    "This here's Miss Bonnie Parker. I'm Clyde Barrow. We rob banks."

Quote Originally Posted by enjerth View Post
    Depending on how cheap you want and what you're willing to sacrifice as far as how enjoyable your food is, there are a number of options.

I bought MainStay emergency food rations, got them considerably cheaper than they are now, but they're still quite a bit cheaper than MREs. As low as about 66 cents per 400 calorie "meal".

http://www.alexandersoutdoors.com/se...cy-Food/Detail

An even cheaper option is to keep a stock of seeds for sprouting. Alfalfa sprouts is one of the most complete single food sources you can get, and dirt cheap. I bought a 35lb bucket of alfalfa seeds for $105 ($158 now). A couple of tablespoons of seed sprouted can feed you all day, even if you have a big appetite. The down side is it requires around 6 days to sprout them to good size. If you're not on the move, keeping a rotation of sprouts going is a great way to keep healthy on the cheap, although you will likely want to have at least 1 meal a day that isn't just sprouts. Need to keep them well aerated and dry between watering to inhibit mold. Sprouting is one of those things you'll need to practice before relying on it though, but it's a great backup plan to supplement your emergency food supply.

http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/sprout...prout_seed.htm
    silly question, how do you 'grow' alfalfa sprouts? will any water do? where to buy in regular household quantities (1lb)?

PS i had the beef stew MRE for lunch. actually tasted OK, and i am a guy who like french cheese! the heating thingy is pretty ingenious. that gets pretty hot and stays hot for at least 10 minutes.
    Last edited by the count; 05-14-2010 at 02:11 PM.

Per
    Deus
    Mos

Quote Originally Posted by the count View Post
    silly question, how do you 'grow' alfalfa sprouts? will any water do? where to buy in regular household quantities (1lb)?

PS i had the beef stew MRE for lunch. actually tasted OK, and i am a guy who like french cheese! the heating thingy is pretty ingenious. that gets pretty hot and stays hot for at least 10 minutes.
    Wheatgrasskits.com is a great resource for finding how to sprout. They sell sprout kits and also smaller units of alfalfa seed, although you may find something cheaper elsewhere. I used them because that was the cheapest bulk price I had found 2 years ago, although they're about 50% more expensive now than back then.

Clean water, particularly for the last rinse before eating. I grow them on a dehydrator tray (not actually in the dehydrator) with a fine cheesecloth for easy drying (spin the water out).

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Bickerstaff View Post
    Get a cow.
    Turn grass into food.
    Don't forget, grass is food, too.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enjerth View Post
    Don't forget, grass is food, too.
    Dandelion greens are also food.

Jack Spirko's "Eat what you store, store what you eat" is the modern survivalists motto, he is preaching to the people who don't have a lot of space. If you have a basement, garage, other huge space you're not using, then that goes out the window, because you're incredibly lucky. In that case, one can store a number of different items.

Mistake number one of survivalists: They haven't tried what they're planning on eating. You should have tasted everything you're storing so you know you'll like it. There are some people out there who gather all of these exotic mre's and other items and never try them. The most common offender is seeds and sprouting.