Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Campaign Evaluation: Johnson / Weld Ticket (POTUS)

With the US libertarian presidential candidate pushing double-digits in the polls for the first time in history, many are starting to take former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson’s policy ideas seriously. While signing books at the libertarian Freedom Fest conference, Johnson said he was “open” to the idea of a Universal Basic Income (UBI).

Like many libertarians, Johnson said he liked the idea of the UBI because of its potential to save money in bureaucratic costs, freeing up more money to give people directly. During the exchange, we discussed how directly giving a basic income would increase the value of each dollar spent for the recipient, as opposed to in-kind services, such as food stamps, which restrict purchases.

At the same time, I asked Johnson about his position on the carbon tax and using these funds to fund the basic income. He once again said he was “open” to the idea.

“There are a lot of smart libertarians that support the carbon tax, so I don’t discount the idea,” Johnson said.
    http://basicincome.org/news/2016/07/...-basic-income/
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Gary Johnson Guarantees Mitt Romney a Place in His Administration

On Friday, former Gov. Gary Johnson offered a guarantee.

“If Mitt Romney wants to be a part of the administration, that would be a guarantee.”

The comments came at Friday’s joint Deseret News-KSL editorial board meeting with Johnson and Bill Weld.

I asked Johnson what role, if any, Romney might play in a Johnson-Weld administration. Although the Libertarian nominee seemed to doubt whether Romney would really be interested, he said the former Republican presidential nominee would be free to, in essence, choose his own adventure.

“I think [the position] would be for Mitt Romney to decide … and I say that with reverence to his skills as a business person and having run the Olympics.”

While critics will undoubtedly see this as pandering to a state where Romney remains popular and where undecided voters are still searching for an alternative, it is hard not to view the comments as anything but the spontaneous response to direct questioning, rather than canned or calculated lines.

Weld, who, like Romney, was a Republican governor in Massachusetts, chimed in, adding, “I personally think he would be great at [secretary of] defense as well as state.”
    http://beta.deseretnews.com/article/...istration.html
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Gary Johnson now supports mandatory vaccines.

Libertarian presidential candidate and former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson is newly in favor of mandatory vaccination, he says, after learning more about the science of immunization.

In 2011, Johnson tweeted “No to mandatory vaccines,” but asked in an interview with VPR Wednesday about his position, Johnson said he now believes that vaccinations should be mandatory.

“You know, since I’ve said that … I’ve come to find out that without mandatory vaccines, the vaccines that would in fact be issued would not be effective,” he said. “So … it’s dependent that you have mandatory vaccines so that every child is immune. Otherwise, not all children will be immune even though they receive a vaccine.”

Johnson said he believes vaccination policy should be handled at the local level.

“In my opinion, this is a local issue. If it ends up to be a federal issue, I would come down on the side of science and I would probably require that vaccine,” he said.

Johnson said his position changed recently.

“It’s an evolution actually just in the last few months, just in the last month or so,” he said. “I was under the belief that … ‘Why require a vaccine? If I don’t want my child to have a vaccine and you want yours to, let yours have the vaccine and they’ll be immune.’ Well, it turns out that that’s not the case, and it may sound terribly uninformed on my part, but I didn’t realize that.”
    http://digital.vpr.net/post/reversal...ation#stream/0
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    Gary Johnson now supports mandatory vaccines.

http://digital.vpr.net/post/reversal...ation#stream/0

I'll counter that Johnson believes vaccination policy should be handled at the local level (stated in the above quote but not bolded). Anybody who is for state's rights and localizing contentious issues like this I consider a friend of liberty.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    I'll counter that Johnson believes vaccination policy should be handled at the local level (stated in the above quote but not bolded). Anybody who is for state's rights and localizing contentious issues like this I consider a friend of liberty.
    He said explicitly that IF it ends up being federal THEN he would require them.

#1 - the Constitution does not allow the issue to be federalized. There is no "if" about it. "If" it ends up federal, then he needs to reject the idea that fedgov has the authority, not enforce vaccines at gunpoint.

#2 - the fedgov is already claiming the authority via handouts to require school districts to require vaccinations, so despite it's desperate unconstitutionality, the issue has ALREADY been federalized.

#3 - even IF the issue were federalized, the Constitution still does not delegate authority to Washington to even have an opinion on the matter, much less the power to make them mandatory, as Johnson suggests, "science" or otherwise.

8. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    “In my opinion, this is a local issue. If it ends up to be a federal issue, I would come down on the side of science and I would probably require that vaccine,” [Johnson] said.

Because ...

I'll counter that Johnson believes vaccination policy should be handled at the local level (stated in the above quote but not bolded).
    No, he doesn't. Otherwise, he'd not have completely abnegated that "opinion" with what he said immediately following it. "I support localism with respect to X. But if federalization of X ends up being an issue, then I would come down on the side of federalizing X."

Johnson is talking out of both sides of his ass - and in the same breath (fart?), no less.

Anybody who is for state's rights and localizing contentious issues like this I consider a friend of liberty.
    I can understand liking and supporting Johnson despite his various flaws, but this apologia is simply obtuse. He is not "for" states' rights and localism. At best, he merely does not object to them unless and until some particular thing or other (such as vaccines, in this case) "ends up to be a federal issue" - at which point, and according to his own words, he will quite happily discard his self-alleged "opinion" about "localizing contentious issues" ...

Johnson explicitly told us that he would quite likely support federal vaccination mandates.

He obviously does not take seriously his own "opinion" (read "empty sop") that "this is a local issue."

In other words: he is trying to have his cake (ha-ha) and eat it, too.

In other other words: Gary Johnson is a mealy-mouthed, double-talking weasel.
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 08-25-2016 at 10:33 PM.
    The Bastiat Collection · FREE PDF · FREE EPUB · PAPER
    Frédéric Bastiat (1801-1850)

• "When law and morality are in contradiction to each other, the citizen finds himself in the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense, or of losing his respect for the law."
      -- The Law (p. 54)
    • "Government is that great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
      -- Government (p. 99)
    • "[W]ar is always begun in the interest of the few, and at the expense of the many."
      -- Economic Sophisms - Second Series (p. 312)
    • "There are two principles that can never be reconciled - Liberty and Constraint."
      -- Harmonies of Political Economy - Book One (p. 447)

· tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito ·

That sums it up concisely.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    THEN he would require them.
    PROBABLY require them

I wouldn't nitpick about such a thing, but with people trying so hard to pin him down as Chairman Mao, I think it's an important distinction. It's in line with the pragmatic, open-to-ideas approach he's taking to absolutely everything, even if it skirts a libertarian chestnut here and there. Everything is on the table.* Nukes and drones are on the table. Understandably, this is very troublesome for libertarians who are accustomed to saying "No way on God's green earth will I ever consider X and Y." It makes him unsuitable for the support of this kind of thinker. It also makes him a feasible candidate for moderate democrats and republicans. At least it did until Bill Kristol made his move with McMullin.

*Well, actually eminent domain isn't on the table.
    Should the government be allowed to seize private property, with reasonable compensation, for public or civic use?
    Gary Johnson’s answer: No, and the government should never be allowed to seize private property
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

PROBABLY require them
    POTENTIAL danger, not simply present danger, is the primary reason for constitutional safeguards that provide protection of Individuals in the worst imaginable situations of government over-reach.

I wouldn't nitpick about such a thing...
    If you're not determined to preserve freedom of Individuals over government, then you're not worthy of Individual Liberty. Determined men, on the other hand, are worthy men.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-26-2016 at 06:58 AM.

Gary Johnson is a fraud. When is a final decision going to be made on this poser?

Quote Originally Posted by adissa View Post
    Gary Johnson is a fraud. When is a final decision going to be made on this poser?
    The decision has already been made by the majority of the board. He fails. Standing around with our thumbs in our rear ends waiting on other people to make decisions for us about how we're supposed to think about things and make decisions is the reason we're in the mess we're in now.

Get busy thinking for yourself and taking education into your own hands. That's how you win. If it isn't valued, or your message of Liberty is effectively contained, then seek other platforms. Carpe Diem!
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-26-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    The decision has already been made by the majority of the board. He fails. Standing around with our thumbs in our rear ends waiting on other people to make decisions for us about how we're supoposed to think about things and make decisions is the reason we're in the mess we're in now.

Get busy thinking for yourself and taking education into your own hands. That's how you win. Carpe Diem!
    I already have. It's frustrating though that the decision was made so quickly about Trump, and here we are all this time later with no decision on Gj. It's not about my own decision, it's about RPF bias against Trump.

Well, actually eminent domain isn't on the table.
    Should the government be allowed to seize private property, with reasonable compensation, for public or civic use?
    Gary Johnson’s answer: No, and the government should never be allowed to seize private property
    So while governor of NM, he used his executive powers to stop all such seizures and returned all previously seized property?

When he actually had the power to do something about it, can you point to a single instance where he stopped seizure of property or returned property without a court ordering him to do so?
    Last edited by specsaregood; 08-26-2016 at 07:44 AM.

17. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by adissa View Post
    it's about RPF bias against Trump.
    You can take the F out of RPF and it would still be accurate. Not that what Ron Paul thinks seems to matter around here much anymore.

Here's Gary Johnson's position:

"If any of you heard me say I support a carbon tax...Look, I haven't raised a penny of taxes in my politicial career and neither has Bill [Weld]. We were looking at—I was looking at—what I heard was a carbon fee which from a free-market standpoint would actually address the issue and cost less. I have determined that, you know what, it's a great theory but I don't think it can work, and I've worked my way through that.

"And I support a person's right to choose, so when it comes to vaccinations we should be able to make the decision whether we want to vaccinate our kids or not. I choose to vaccinate my kid and you never say never. Look, in the case of a zombie apocalypse taking over the United States, and there is a vaccine for that, as president of the United States, you might find me mandating that vaccine." - Gary Johnson, Aug. 25, 2016.

http://reason.com/blog/2016/08/26/li...omes-out-again

Gary Johnson thinks out loud and everybody gets to share his thought process. It's kind of like trump except honest and non-manipulative. He doesn't play his cards close to his chest. It's pretty refreshing to me. Y'all should quit spazzing out.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678