Thread: Please explain to me the difference between corporatism and crony capitalism...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

just remember this

corporatism is bad capitalism
    crony capitalism is bad capitalism
    Keynesian capitalism is bad capitalism.

when good people like
    Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell, talk about capitalism, it's good capitalism.
    Simple enough?

i would say that corporatism is just another name for fascism.

corporatism/fascism is basically when private companies use the government to gain unfair advantages in the market. So it's when the private companies take over the government, and the government and the private sector team up to seize power and screw over the average citizen and take their rights away.

with capitalism however, the government is small and run by the people. and the private sector works for the benefit of the citizens.

businesses and corporations can only grow in a capitalist system by providing goods and services that people want to buy. In a fascist or corporatist system, businesses and corporations grow because their relationship with the government, because the government can force you to buy their products by giving them special advantages (in return for campaign contributions). In a fascist system, the government can just simply give money to private companies in the form of subsidies, bailouts, etc..... or they can write regulations designed to benefit these politically connected businesses.

so there's a big difference between capitalism and corporatism. but i guess that crony capitalism is pretty much the same as fascism.
    Last edited by eric_cartman; 05-10-2010 at 05:58 PM.

Its the same thing just different wordplay to avoid the bad publicity of histories lessons. In the American Revolution, it was called mercantilism.

Quote Originally Posted by eric_cartman View Post
    i would say that corporatism is just another name for fascism.
    I'm sure you didn't get that from Mussolini
    http://www.publiceye.org/fascist/corporatism.html

It is generally attrributed to an article written by Mussolini in the 1932 Enciclopedia Italiana with the assistance of Giovanni Gentile, the editor.

The quote, however, does not appear in the Enciclopedia Italiana in the original Italian.

It does not appear in the official English translation of that article:

Benito Mussolini, 1935, "The Doctrine of Fascism," Firenze: Vallecchi Editore.

And it does not appear in the longer treatment of the subject by Mussolini in:

Benito Mussolini, 1935, "Fascism: Doctrine and Institutions," Rome: 'Ardita' Publishers.

Where the quote comes from remains a mystery, and while it is possible Mussolini said it someplace at some time, a number of researchers have been unable to find it after months of research.

Crony capitalism is a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality where a politician does favors in return for favors, corporatism is the partnership where government/corporate interests are, it has moved past the croynism and has a strong foundation, they are related;very closely related;but not the same,imho anyway.
    "Remember that a government big enough to give you everything you want is also big enough to take away everything you have. Barry Goldwater

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnrocks View Post
    Crony capitalism is a "you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours" mentality where a politician does favors in return for favors,
    isn't that simply voluntary exchange and mutual benefit?

corporatism is the partnership where government/corporate interests are, it has moved past the croynism and has a strong foundation, they are related;very closely related;but not the same,imho anyway.

Facism was around since at least the ancient Rome...

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts