Thread: Gun safe questions

Question Gun safe questions

Which brand is recommended? Should they be bolted to the foundation and how large is big enough?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    More info please. The question is vague.

What is your fear.. Children, thieves, govt thieves, Fire , earthquake, flood, etc.?
    How many guns? Size matters.

Growing up it was common to see gun cabinets in the living room of homes. Often wit glass doors for display. I still prefer a common rifle rack. Like I had when I was 10.

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

What is your fear.. Children, thieves, govt thieves, Fire , earthquake, flood, etc.?

Growing up it was common to see gun cabinets in the living room of homes. Often wit glass doors for display. I still prefer a common rifle rack. Like I had when I was 10.

I really don't know. All of the above? I only own one handgun right now, but I'm just planning ahead when I get more toys.

There are several locking storage safes under $200. They will hold several rifles. likely more than you "need".
    from there price and protection go up.
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...817a9f1863ec02
    http://www.gunsafes.com/
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Go to a good sporting goods store and ask the folks at the gun counter what they recommend. They will be happy to show you the models and which would most suit your needs.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

I have a cheap metal gun cabinet. Cost about $130 and holds about 8 rifles.

I use it mainly for hunting rifle storage.
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

any of the well known brands.

dont skimp. if you're going to invest more than 5K$ in guns, i'd say buy a retail value 2K$-4K$ safe at the minimum.

go for fire ratings of a minimum of a half hour.

get the thinkest steel plates possible, preferably 1/4"-1/2" steel plates.

when you do get it, bolt it to the ground.

and even ALL of that is not a guarantee that an expert thief won't steal it. this will only protect against the more common, average thieves.

i myself am a gun enthusiast, and i could see myself owning upwards of 20K$ worth of guns within the first 5 years i start my career. this would be how to go with the hardcore gun enthusiast.
    Last edited by Toureg89; 05-07-2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    ...ask him why he should be able to have a dick since he could rape someone with it, then kick him in the vagina for good measure so he'll remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    If we could create a Department of Hookers and Blow that would keep these villains busy for their entire adult lives, and kept away from doing their stated jobs, I'd support that.

If you have an Academy Sports nearby, they usually have some pretty good deals.

I bought my small 14 gun safe from them for over half off MSRP.

As far as attaching it to the concrete, use a masonry bit and lag bolts. There are also some chemical fasteners, but you'll be hard pressed to ever move the safe again if you use those.

Also, don't have the safe where it can be seen from a window, or by visitors. Outta sight, outta mind. No need to advertise.
    Speak in defense of our good name
    The blood of kin grants absolution
    I'll join them soon enough in the ground of God's country

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Do safes come ready to be bolted to the ground with pre-drilled holes or instructions on how to install? Luckily I have a slab foundation so it's possible in my house, but I guess if I had a crawlspace it wouldn't be as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by RCA View Post
    Do safes come ready to be bolted to the ground with pre-drilled holes or instructions on how to install? Luckily I have a slab foundation so it's possible in my house, but I guess if I had a crawlspace it wouldn't be as easy.
    i'm going to take a guess that the quality safes are ready to be bolted to the ground, but i don't know if they all are made that way with factory, my educated guess would be that they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    ...ask him why he should be able to have a dick since he could rape someone with it, then kick him in the vagina for good measure so he'll remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    If we could create a Department of Hookers and Blow that would keep these villains busy for their entire adult lives, and kept away from doing their stated jobs, I'd support that.

I came across a manufacturer in Visalia, California that built one that could be disassembled for shipping.

Not really a great feature for a safe but practical for a single guy that may want to move it around more than once in a lifetime.

Here is the address of a take down safe in Iowa.

http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm