Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Letter to Editor RE: Adam and Immigration

Letter to Editor RE: Adam and Immigration

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/opi...gration-issues

Kokesh is strong on immigration issues

Arizona's new law ignites passionate debate about illegal immigration. Yet this moment provides an extraordinary opportunity for Americans as we call on Congress to resolve the immigration issue that is dividing our nation.

Adam Kokesh, candidate for Congress in the 3rd Congressional District, has a clear vision about resolving the long-standing controversy surrounding illegal immigration, based on considerations that are both pragmatic and constitutional. That is one reason I signed onto the Kokesh for Congress Campaign. Adam Kokesh advocates a policy that combines constitutionality and pragmatism — an approach that begins with respect for the Constitution, observes the lessons of history and includes tough border security, realistic guest-worker policies and flexibility in light of local realities.

New Mexico's 3rd District needs a representative who respects the Constitution as the supreme law of our land, yet who will vigorously tackle the immigration problem with a fresh perspective and unflinching determination to get it done.

Asenath Kepler
    chairwoman
    Kokesh for Congress
    Santa Fe
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

What others do pales beside what YOU do.

Press on! - The r3VOLution continues...

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The Arizona law was raised as an issue.

Does he support the Arizona law? Yes or no?
    Last edited by Magnet; 05-07-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnet View Post
    The Arizona law was raised as an issue.

Does he support the Arizona law? Yes or no?
    A yes, or no, answer was the responsibility of the State Legislators in AZ. They are privy to the preceding debate, and the local nuances/dynamics that a republican form of Gov't serves best. Further questions will be answered by judges...

In the spirit that neighbors should mind their own business, Adam has his own position regarding a vision of what is best for New Mexico, and, by extension, the nation.

Adam has more statements being published in various outlets and I'll post em as they appear. For now, here is something he wrote up last year, with some bullet points I added...

IMMIGRATION

-It is Broke, Lets Fix It
    -Secure Borders - Keep Out Lawbreakers
    -Documented, Taxed, Guest Worker Program for Legitimate Free Market Demands
    -Work together to uphold our heritage.

Immigration has become an unnecessarily divisive wedge issue in such a way that has blinded us to practical policies and diverted us from American ideals. There are legitimate interests on all sides of this debate and ways to address them without compromising our security, our economy, or our values. We must face up to the realities of the situation without trying to belittle our political opposition, real or imagined.

We must acknowledge that in the world we live in, it is an appropriate function of the federal government to secure our borders. It is not only appropriate, it is Constitutional, a valid form of collective self-defense, and necessary to protect against terrorism. The federal government has been derelict of its basic duties to enforce existing laws.

We must also acknowledge the economic realities. We have millions of undocumented immigrants in this country not because of some planned invasion or conspiracy to “take jobs away” from Americans. They are here because they are willing to work, and Americans are eager to employ them. There is a surplus of labor abroad, and there is a demand for it in the United States. The best thing we can do for the economy and quality of life for all Americans is to find a way to allow for this free exchange because that is the foundation of prosperity.

The current system as it functions (or fails to) gives immigrants and employers who are willing to evade the law, an unfair economic advantage. This is because they get the benefits of government programs without paying into them. While it might be ideal to end the need for entitlements all together, the current problems with our system of immigration are much more urgent, and easily remedied.

While securing the borders, we can create a guest worker program that allows the economic demands to be met, ensures that no human being making rational, moral decisions is considered “illegal,” and levels the economic playing field. We do not need to create any new paths to citizenship to do this.

Given the vast number of undocumented workers currently in the country, we must also be mindful of the logistical reality. We cannot even attempt to deport them. Without granting “amnesty,” we should have a grace period for registration, after which time any immigrant not registered as a guest worker would be subject to punishment, penalty, or deportation.

Those who are registered as guest workers would be subject to the same system of taxation in a way that has them paying at least their share for whatever welfare they would be entitled to, thus removing any unearned economic advantage they would have over American citizens in the workforce.

I do not suggest that adopting such a plan would be easy. We must first face up to the current reality as a nation without trying to drive a wedge between people for political advantage. By coming together as a country, we can create a system that reflects our values and addresses the challenges of our current situation.
    Don't let others get you down. Not naysayers, not pretenders, not appeasers, not opportunists; none of em.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."

~ C.Coolidge

What are Adam's views on securing the borders exactly with specifics? Does he support a wall? Does he support check points every 5 miles? I disagree with his stance on our current system in regards to a path to citizenship. I think it takes entirely way too long for a foreigner to obtain american citizen status. One has to apply for a green card, get a green card, work in the us for 7 years, apply for citizenship, take the citizenship test. I think this is a long, drawn out process. Why should someone have to wait for a decade? Let's change the laws and make it easier and quicker to become a citizen!

Quote Originally Posted by bwlibertyman View Post
    What are Adam's views on securing the borders exactly with specifics? Does he support a wall? Does he support check points every 5 miles? I disagree with his stance on our current system in regards to a path to citizenship. I think it takes entirely way too long for a foreigner to obtain american citizen status. One has to apply for a green card, get a green card, work in the us for 7 years, apply for citizenship, take the citizenship test. I think this is a long, drawn out process. Why should someone have to wait for a decade? Let's change the laws and make it easier and quicker to become a citizen!
    As a Congressman he would meet / call for hearings with Border Patrol agents to get their input into the process. Further, there would need to get local input because border concerns are different in each state i.e. CA vs. ME.

Finally, he acknowledges the failure of the present system, so I fail to see what part of his stance you have based your opposition on?

~ C.Coolidge

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    Finally, he acknowledges the failure of the present system, so I fail to see what part of his stance you have based your opposition on?
    I take part in his stance on saying that the current path to citizenship is okay. I don't think the path to citizenship is fair to all people. I think it should be made easier. I don't disagree with a lot of the things that he said. I just want to know what he would specifically want to have done in regards to securing the borders.

So again, I think that the path to citizenship should be changed and modified. I would also like to hear some specifics if you have them.

Wow, talk about a wish-washy statement if there ever was one. This sounds like it's coming straight out of Mccain or Obama's mouth!

Does he support the Arizona law - yes or no? What exactly will he do to secure the border and stop the invasion?

He will not have my support if he supports amnesty or open borders, or if he opposes repelling the invasion of our nation. It is time to call up the state militias to stop this foreign invasion!

Sorry Adam, you lost all support from me.

Try reading up on the Eisenhower presidency and how he dealt with the invasion from the South. You might learn something from the great general. We already have Mexican professors demanding Mexican revolt in America. If that's not an invasion / occupation then i don't know what is.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bwlibertyman View Post
    I take part in his stance on saying that the current path to citizenship is okay. I don't think the path to citizenship is fair to all people. I think it should be made easier. I don't disagree with a lot of the things that he said. I just want to know what he would specifically want to have done in regards to securing the borders.

So again, I think that the path to citizenship should be changed and modified. I would also like to hear some specifics if you have them.
    Where exactly does he say the current mess is OK? And isn't the following position (already posted above) a significant change from the present?

While securing the borders, we can create a guest worker program that allows the economic demands to be met, ensures that no human being making rational, moral decisions is considered “illegal,” and levels the economic playing field. We do not need to create any new paths to citizenship to do this.

Given the vast number of undocumented workers currently in the country, we must also be mindful of the logistical reality. We cannot even attempt to deport them. Without granting “amnesty,” we should have a grace period for registration, after which time any immigrant not registered as a guest worker would be subject to punishment, penalty, or deportation.

Those who are registered as guest workers would be subject to the same system of taxation in a way that has them paying at least their share for whatever welfare they would be entitled to, thus removing any unearned economic advantage they would have over American citizens in the workforce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Making Cents View Post
    Wow, talk about a wish-washy statement if there ever was one. This sounds like it's coming straight out of Mccain or Obama's mouth!
    Which part do you find wishy washy? The part where he says, "Secure the borders", or the part where he says, "without granting amnesty"?

Does he support the Arizona law - yes or no? What exactly will he do to secure the border and stop the invasion?
    What exactly can a freshman congressman do to "secure the border and stop the invasion", other than what is already stated in this thread?

He will not have my support if he supports amnesty or open borders, or if he opposes repelling the invasion of our nation. It is time to call up the state militias to stop this foreign invasion!
    Well, since he doesn't support amnesty, nor open borders, what exactly is your objection?

~ C.Coolidge

We must also acknowledge the economic realities. We have millions of undocumented immigrants in this country not because of some planned invasion or conspiracy to “take jobs away” from Americans. They are here because they are willing to work, and Americans are eager to employ them. There is a surplus of labor abroad, and there is a demand for it in the United States. The best thing we can do for the economy and quality of life for all Americans is to find a way to allow for this free exchange because that is the foundation of prosperity.
    Sounds to me like he's A-Ok with letting millions of foreign invaders into our country to steal our jobs and drive down wages as long as they get a 'green card'. This is as intellectually dishonest as Obama saying the health care bill will not cover illegals, but we'll go ahead and make illegals legal so they'll be covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Stop Making Cents View Post
    Sounds to me like he's A-Ok with letting millions of foreign invaders into our country to steal our jobs and drive down wages as long as they get a 'green card'. This is as intellectually dishonest as Obama saying the health care bill will not cover illegals, but we'll go ahead and make illegals legal so they'll be covered.
    Well, you would be mistaken. The millions are already here so the rhetoric of him "letting" them in is silly. ISTM you are just grasping at straws, attempting to paint Adam's position as something it clearly is not.

~ C.Coolidge

kudos to adam for showing some common sense on the immigration issue. it's sad that if you don't belong to either end of the polarized spectrum, people flip out. sad that they buy into the establishment's narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by ronpaulhawaii View Post
    A yes, or no, answer was the responsibility of the State Legislators in AZ. They are privy to the preceding debate, and the local nuances/dynamics that a republican form of Gov't serves best. Further questions will be answered by judges...

In the spirit that neighbors should mind their own business, Adam has his own position regarding a vision of what is best for New Mexico, and, by extension, the nation.

Adam has more statements being published in various outlets and I'll post em as they appear. For now, here is something he wrote up last year, with some bullet points I added...

IMMIGRATION

-It is Broke, Lets Fix It
    -Secure Borders - Keep Out Lawbreakers
    -Documented, Taxed, Guest Worker Program for Legitimate Free Market Demands
    -Work together to uphold our heritage.

Immigration has become an unnecessarily divisive wedge issue in such a way that has blinded us to practical policies and diverted us from American ideals. There are legitimate interests on all sides of this debate and ways to address them without compromising our security, our economy, or our values. We must face up to the realities of the situation without trying to belittle our political opposition, real or imagined.

We must acknowledge that in the world we live in, it is an appropriate function of the federal government to secure our borders. It is not only appropriate, it is Constitutional, a valid form of collective self-defense, and necessary to protect against terrorism. The federal government has been derelict of its basic duties to enforce existing laws.

The current system as it functions (or fails to) gives immigrants and employers who are willing to evade the law, an unfair economic advantage. This is because they get the benefits of government programs without paying into them. While it might be ideal to end the need for entitlements all together, the current problems with our system of immigration are much more urgent, and easily remedied.

I do not suggest that adopting such a plan would be easy. We must first face up to the current reality as a nation without trying to drive a wedge between people for political advantage. By coming together as a country, we can create a system that reflects our values and addresses the challenges of our current situation.
    Boy that sure is a lot of verbal gymnastics to answer a simple yes or no question.

I believe you were asked whether Adam supports the new Arizona law or not?

This type of verbal gymnastics is exactly what people are sick and tired of hearing from politicians. They want straight-forward, direct answers and positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth at all Cost View Post
    Boy that sure is a lot of verbal gymnastics to answer a simple yes or no question.

I believe you were asked whether Adam supports the new Arizona law or not?

This type of verbal gymnastics is exactly what people are sick and tired of hearing from politicians. They want straight-forward, direct answers and positions.
    Adam's position is direct and straightforward for the position he is running for. Trying to get him to "vote" yay or nay, on an issue in another state, at another level of government, in which he was not privy to the debate, nor local nuances, is unreasonable.

~ C.Coolidge

No, it's very reasonable. Politicians across the country, including Rand Paul, have given their opinions on the law. So I guess we can count this as you "ducking the question," plain and simple.

No, it's very reasonable. Politicians across the country, including Rand Paul, have given their opinions on the law. So I guess we can count this as you "ducking the question," plain and simple.
    Thank goodness I ain't running for office

~ C.Coolidge

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If neither you nor Adam have the guts to answer a simple yes-or-no question about the Arizona immigration law, why did you bring it up?

This thread started out by saying: "Arizona's new law ignites passionate debate about illegal immigration."

So why bring it up if you and Adam are not prepared to discuss it. The vast, vast majority of Republicans support the Arizona law.

The vast, vast majority of Republicans support the Arizona law.
    Which is part of the problem of this cozy movement of libertarians and republicans who supported Ron Paul on the compromise of the constitution and doctrine of original intent. Republicans are throwing the constitution out the window supporting the Arizona statue.

If neither you nor Adam have the guts to answer a simple yes-or-no question about the Arizona immigration law, why did you bring it up?

This thread started out by saying: "Arizona's new law ignites passionate debate about illegal immigration."

So why bring it up if you and Adam are not prepared to discuss it. The vast, vast majority of Republicans support the Arizona law.

I posted a letter the editor from the local paper. I didn't "bring it up."

Start at ~4:40. Adam also mentions AZ in the Sandoval County vid in the other thread.

YouTube - Harding Forum Pt 3

The way I see it there are only two reasons for posing the yay or nay question; mental masturbation, or trying to paint someone in a corner. I have neither the time for the former, nor the interest in the latter. What matters is a way forward and that is what this thread is about.

~ C.Coolidge

Like I said, people are sick and tired of slick politicians who dodge direct questions. It doesn't take seven paragraphs and four posts to answer a yes or no question.

Quote Originally Posted by cmasslibertarian View Post
    kudos to adam for showing some common sense on the immigration issue. it's sad that if you don't belong to either end of the polarized spectrum, people flip out. sad that they buy into the establishment's narrative.
    same thing with abortion. if you aren't Nazi blow-up-clinics Pro-life, then you are considered pro-choice.
    both issues are used merely as political tools. and the people who get emotionally attached to these issues are the tools.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

If it only takes you one word to express an opinion on something as complicated as illegal immigration, and something as long as the Arizona bill, then you are a mental midget. The bill itself has more than one segment, so support might be for part of the bill and not all of it. Lastly, if someone doesn't support the bill as written (as in, they wouldn't sign it themselves) they will rapidly be dismissed as pro-amnesty and anti-American, so it behooves one to make one's stance very clear.

I'd love some clarification from Adam himself, but asking "YES OR NO?!?" over and over is pretty sad.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Like I said, people are sick and tired of slick politicians who dodge direct questions. It doesn't take seven paragraphs and four posts to answer a yes or no question.
    Some things are more complicated than yes or no. Unfortunately if you acknowledge this fact, simpletons like you start to scream "YER WIT US ERR UR AGAIN US!"

Do you support the Patriot Act, yes or no?
    Do you support a Balanced Budget Amendment, yes or no?
    Do you support Ron Paul's Audit the Fed bill, yes or no?
    Do you support California's marijuana legalization ballot measure, yes or no?
    Do you support New York's ban on smoking in restaurants, yes or no?
    Do you support Arizona's new anti-illegal immigration, yes or no?
    Do you support Obama's healthcare bill, yes or no?

These are all simple yes or no questions. Which of them are willing to answer, and which do you want to duck and dodge? Are you telling me that immigration is more complicated than the healthcare bill???

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

These are all simple yes or no questions. Which of them are willing to answer, and which do you want to duck and dodge? Are you telling me that immigration is more complicated than the healthcare bill???
    They're oversimplistic yes or no questions which provide little to no insight as to policy or opinion.

I could answer them as no, no, yes, yes, no, no, no, and you still wouldn't know why I felt that way, or be able to draw any conclusions about my potential future votes. You also wouldn't know what my context is... as in, am I answering as if I were a stakeholder (because really, that's how we answer by default, but we can't control what every other state does), or am I answering from a Constitutional standpoint (in which case the states are free to enact all the idiotic legislation they please, and it's up to the Supreme Court to strike it down), or what?
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Why are you here? Personally, you sound like one of Adam's political opponents who registered on these forums in an attempt to corner him on complex issues or divert the attention of his campaign.
    Truth Drives Me

Truth at all Cost - Adam has already answered these questions. Have you taken the time to listen to what Adam has to say in debates and on his website.

The questions are "yes or no" requests, but there are not clear cut "yes or no" answers to these questions.
    Last edited by Travlyr; 05-10-2010 at 12:27 PM.
    "Everyone who believes in freedom must work diligently for sound money, fully redeemable. Nothing else is compatible with the humanitarian goals of peace and prosperity." -- Ron Paul

Brother Jonathan

This is also a forum on Kokesh's race and activism related to it. If you want to whine about his stance on immigration, take it to Hot Topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Live_Free_Or_Die View Post
    Which is part of the problem of this cozy movement of libertarians and republicans who supported Ron Paul on the compromise of the constitution and doctrine of original intent. Republicans are throwing the constitution out the window supporting the Arizona statue.
    Ron Paul: “I Believe In National Sovereignty”.

Adam would probably agree with Ron on that.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Ron Paul: “I Believe In National Sovereignty”.

Adam would probably agree with Ron on that.
    National sovereignty is a contradiction in terms. The courts have upheld the federal government performing custom duties and searches before entering the several states. However it is not unlimited and without limitations such as a word like sovereignty implies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast