Thread: Baseball loses an icon, and humanity loses a great person... Ernie Harwell dead at 92

Baseball loses an icon, and humanity loses a great person... Ernie Harwell dead at 92

Everyone knew this day was coming sooner or later... Doesn't make it any less sad. I remember listening to Tiger games with my dad as a little kid and hearing Ernie's voice. I met him a couple of times as well, got my picture with him. He was such a generous and kind-hearted man. If more people were like Ernie Harwell, the world would be a better place.

Amazing voice, amazing man, and he will be missed.

RIP. Be sure to help out those Tigers in heaven

http://freep.com/article/20100504/SP...nie-dies-at-92

In Ernie Harwell’s voice, the South rose again and conquered Michigan in a way no one else ever has.

When Harwell arrived in Detroit to join the Tigers radio broadcast team in 1960, he was an unknown to Tigers fans.

When he died Tuesday night at his home in Novi, at 92, after nearly a year-long bout with cancer, he had a strong case as the most beloved figure ever in Michigan.

He rose to that cherished place through the combined power of radio and baseball and just as importantly his own charm and warmth, which were as steady through the decades as his unchanging Georgia accent.

Harwell did Tigers radio from 1960 through 1991, then — after an ill-conceived dismissal by the Tigers that lasted only one season — he did a combination of Tigers radio and TV from 1993 through 2002.

He ended his 55-year big-league career at the end of 2002 season. At that time, Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully — like Harwell, a baseball broadcaster who is a cherished, unmatchable and forever enchanting Old Master — summed up his Tigers cohort: “He’s such a lovely man. He loves baseball, and he treats it with great respect and dignity.”

On the final day of the ’02 season, during post-game remarks on his farewell broadcast, Harwell almost choked on his own tears because, he said, “I felt so much affection for the fans.”

It continued to be reciprocated. When Harwell retired, he didn’t flee to the warmth of his native South, but lived year-round in Michigan, winter and all, his home having become the state where his voice was a welcome sound in any home.

YouTube - Ernie Harwell Farewell Address

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My family are huge Ernie fans. I'm a little young to remember Ernie a whole lot but I know what he meant to the Tigers and Michigan.

My uncle in Seattle (originally from MI) was a personal friend of Ernie. Every time the Tigers would come to Seattle they would meet up. My cousin's middle name is Harwell. My uncle would often take Ernie to the airport. I remember going to a game at Tigers Stadium with my uncle and going up to the press box to meet Ernie. Got an autographed baseball out of the deal. Sad day in Michigan.
    We need immigrants in this country. What we don't need is politicians. Get rid of them! - Peter Schiff

I was already planning on going to the next Tigers game should probably get tickets early now as it will be a big day. Not to mention they are playing the Yankees.
    Last edited by No1ButPaul08; 05-04-2010 at 07:05 PM.
    We need immigrants in this country. What we don't need is politicians. Get rid of them! - Peter Schiff