Thread: Obama oppossed to only one amendment to the financial regulation bill

Obama oppossed to only one amendment to the financial regulation bill

Guess which one is it?

Obama administration officials have declined to weigh in on any specific amendments, with one exception: a move by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I., Vt.) to give the government more power to audit certain operations at the Federal Reserve. Fed and administration officials have signaled they would fight to stop it at all costs. Mr. Sanders has more than a dozen co-sponsors.

"I can't predict, but I think we've got a good chance to pass it," Mr. Sanders said.
    Sponsored by Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), the language is modeled after an amendment that passed the House, sponsored by Reps. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) and Ron Paul (R-Texas).

Sanders is joined by four Republicans of varying politics: John McCain (Ariz.), Jim DeMint (S.C.), David Vitter (La.) and Sam Brownback (Kan.). If Democrats in the Senate back the measure, it would have at least 63 votes, but Banking Committee Chairman Chris Dodd (D-Conn.) is opposed and has argued against a broad audit.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/20...Actually,-Four)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Of course, he is so bought off he'd never support any kind of actual transparency.

Chester Copperpot

Those yellow rat bastards..

Is this even the actual audit or the horse$#@! audit they swapped Paul's out with?

This is a thing I hate about the committee system. When one man can stomp a ton of others, even a good number of his fellow lawmakers, in the dirt just because he's on a committee and nothing can be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by RM918 View Post
    Is this even the actual audit or the horse$#@! audit they swapped Paul's out with?

This is a thing I hate about the committee system. When one man can stomp a ton of others, even a good number of his fellow lawmakers, in the dirt just because he's on a committee and nothing can be done about it.
    Mel Watt's move was defeated and the regulation bill with RP's audit was already passed in the House.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
    Mel Watt's move was defeated and the regulation bill with RP's audit was already passed in the House.
    No, they did it AGAIN in the senate. I forget who did it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    this amendment is to put Ron Paul's language.

Quote Originally Posted by RM918 View Post
    No, they did it AGAIN in the senate. I forget who did it.
    Bernie Sanders inserted the audit bill into the Senate version. He was the first Senator to support RP's audit bill, and was the original sponsor of the Senate version.

Quote Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
    Bernie Sanders inserted the audit bill into the Senate version. He was the first Senator to support RP's audit bill, and was the original sponsor of the Senate version.
    But Sanders' language is not in the senate version right now, Sanders proposed this amendment to fix that. We'll see if it passes.