Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadly New Fungus Emerging in Oregon Expected to Spread

Deadly New Fungus Emerging in Oregon Expected to Spread

BOLO, and add this to the invasive species list!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/...FkbHluZXdmdW4-

A deadly, airborne new strain of fungus has emerged in Oregon. It has killed nearly one out of four known affected people so far and might also attack animals ranging from dogs to dolphins. And it is likely to spread, researchers now warn.

Symptoms can appear two or more months after exposure. Most people never develop symptoms, but those infected may have a cough lasting weeks, sharp chest pain, shortness of breath, headache related to meningitis, fever, nighttime sweats and weight loss. In animals the symptoms are a runny nose, breathing problems, nervous system problems and raised bumps under the skin.
    proof of explosives in WTC on 9/11 .....
    peer-reviewed paper in scientific journal - unreacted flakes of Thermite found in WTC dust!
    http://www.bentham.org/open/tocpj/ar...002/7TOCPJ.pdf
    videos:
    Entire Steven E Jones presentation at PNAC event in UT, Austin, Texas
    video:
    PNAC Rebuilding America's Senses Steven Jones Lecture

architects and engineers for 9/11 truth
    http://www.ae911truth.org/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Apparently only a few people have actually died.

BTW, sort of related, I had Valley Fever when I lived in Phoenix years ago, cause: hanta virus--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus
    source: desert rodents that migrated into Phoenix during a tough summer

I nearly died and recently had an unexplainable health issue that may have had it's roots in that long ago illness. We still don't know.

Fungus can be a serious issue as well.
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

I blame Old Ducker's mad scientist laboratory.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by rancher89 View Post

BTW, sort of related, I had Valley Fever when I lived in Phoenix years ago, cause: hanta virus--- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hantavirus

I nearly died and recently had an unexplainable health issue that may have had it's roots in that long ago illness. We still don't know.

I remember hearing about the Valley Fever when I lived down there in '96, but at the time I don't recall them knowing what it was. Interesting. So sorry to hear you had to go through that and nearly died from it!

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!

OD + science lab = be very afraid!
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

I think Mother Nature is pissed off.
    ----

Ron Paul Forum's Mission Statement:

Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

Will this be the new H1N1
    "Molon Labe"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I doubt they can create a vaccination protocol for a fungus infection.....the cure could be worse than the desease.

OMG

It's like that horrible movie, The Happening.

No, really, it may be the worst movie ever made.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Fifth Element

LOL

Fifth Element

LOL
    Are you even REMOTELY implying that the Fifth Element was a worse movie than The Happening?

The Happening... a movie about plants getting mad and spritzing the air with spores that make you kill yourself? Then, towards the end of the movie, the plants just... stop? But then they start elsewhere? And nothing is explained? And no one can account for why people always look for the most inefficient and idiotic ways to kill themselves? And no one puts on a rescue breather or gas mask or SCUBA gear?

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Are you even REMOTELY implying that the Fifth Element was a worse movie than The Happening?

The Happening... a movie about plants getting mad and spritzing the air with spores that make you kill yourself? Then, towards the end of the movie, the plants just... stop? But then they start elsewhere? And nothing is explained? And no one can account for why people always look for the most inefficient and idiotic ways to kill themselves? And no one puts on a rescue breather or gas mask or SCUBA gear?
    Wow. Glad I passed on that movie!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
    Wow. Glad I passed on that movie!
    None shall be saved.

YouTube - RiffTrax - The Happening sample

The Fifth Element is one of the top ten Sci-Fi movies of all time, in my opinion.

Never saw The Happening, but when I read what the plot was, I'm glad I didn't. WORST. PLOT. EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by tmosley View Post
    The Fifth Element is one of the top ten Sci-Fi movies of all time, in my opinion.

Never saw The Happening, but when I read what the plot was, I'm glad I didn't. WORST. PLOT. EVER.
    I left a few things out. There's a delightful scene where people gather around to watch a video (I guess a YouTube?) of some guy suiciding by going into a lion's pen and taunting it, but it only rips his arm off, so he keeps having to bait the lion.

There's also lying in front of a self-propelled lawnmower and letting it run over you.

Lastly, Marky Mark is the scientist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    The symptoms sound just like Histoplasmosis. It is a common fungus found in large piles of droppings from bats and birds. It often affects spelunkers (cave explorers) and people in wildlife management fields like myself. The symptoms are mild, and only life threatening if you have a pre-existing lung condition, or a compromised immune system.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Every one needs to go on the candida diet avoid all sweeteners and eat to alkalize the body.

Some natural fungicides:

Tea tree oil
    Pao D' Arco
    Capricic Acid

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    The symptoms sound just like Histoplasmosis. It is a common fungus found in large piles of droppings from bats and birds. It often affects spelunkers (cave explorers) and people in wildlife management fields like myself. The symptoms are mild, and only life threatening if you have a pre-existing lung condition, or a compromised immune system.
    The article said that it was affecting healthy individuals as well, and killing them 25% of the time.

The article said that it was affecting healthy individuals as well, and killing them 25% of the time.
    That's what they said about H1N1 too.

Find out later that the so called healthy individuals probably were chain smokers in this case, I'd bet.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

Velley Fever

Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis) is not caused by the hanta virus. It is caused by inhalation of a fungus that lives in the soil. Most people who live in the desert areas of Arizona get it eventually. For most, it is insignificant. For others, it can be bad - even fatal. It can cause lesions on the lungs like TB.
    The proper concern of society is the preservation of individual freedom; the proper concern of the individual is the harmony of society.

"Who would be free, themselves must strike the blow." - Byron

"Who overcomes by force, hath overcome but half his foe." - Milton

It has killed five people in the last decade. Run for the Hills. Grab your guns. This is the Big One.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    It has killed five people in the last decade. Run for the Hills. Grab your guns. This is the Big One.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee
    And where did you get that information from? It's not in the article.

Just making $#@! up about diseases is dangerous, you know.

And where did you get that information from? It's not in the article.

Just making $#@! up about diseases is dangerous, you know.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63L66H20100422

The new strain appears to be unusually deadly, with a mortality rate of about 25 percent among the 21 U.S. cases analyzed, they said.

"From 1999 through 2003, the cases were largely restricted to Vancouver Island," the report reads.

"Between 2003 and 2006, the outbreak expanded into neighboring mainland British Columbia and then into Washington and Oregon from 2005 to 2009

Boy...this is spreading fast. And I am sorry....has killed five people in the united states. Maybe it has killed as many as ten in Canada. Hopefully in 2097 when it reaches Amarillo....my children will be prepared for the ghastly death toll.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Slutter McGee View Post
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE63L66H20100422

Boy...this is spreading fast. And I am sorry....has killed five people in the united states. Maybe it has killed as many as ten in Canada. Hopefully in 2097 when it reaches Amarillo....my children will be prepared for the ghastly death toll.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee
    Next time, post your story before breaking out the sarcasm.

When I hear about a new strain of fungus that is capable of infecting healthy adults, my ears prick up. This is different from H1N1, which I knew from the start was BS, as flu either spreads fast, or it is highly deadly, it's never both. Both variables depend on the ability of the virus to get into the lungs. The deeper it goes, the more deadly it is, but the less likely it is to spread. Comparisons to earlier flu pandemics are worthless as well, because most flu deaths are caused by pneumonia, which we are capable of fighting.

Fungus is a different matter. It is very tough and very expensive to treat such infections, which are very rare in humans. This could be like Ebola, save that unlike Ebola, it has a long incubation time. If it develops the ability to transmit itself human to human, or even human to tree, we are in big trouble. This would be very expensive to deal with. When we are on the verge of economic collapse, we can't afford to deal with a new plague as well.

There's also lying in front of a self-propelled lawnmower and letting it run over you.
    Come on, that was the single best part of the movie.

Lastly, Marky Mark is the scientist.
    However, that alone should settle the debate over whether it is in fact the worst movie ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Icymudpuppy View Post
    That's what they said about H1N1 too.

Find out later that the so called healthy individuals probably were chain smokers in this case, I'd bet.
    Here we are seeing the effect of the gov crying “wolf” so many times. It’s difficult to know what to believe. The H1N1 fiasco was the final call. Now they have no credibility left and if there’s a TRUE serious infectious epidemic, warnings won’t work.

The new strain appears to be unusually deadly, with a mortality rate of about 25 percent among the 21 U.S. cases analyzed, they said.

"From 1999 through 2003, the cases were largely restricted to Vancouver Island," the report reads.

"Between 2003 and 2006, the outbreak expanded into neighboring mainland British Columbia and then into Washington and Oregon from 2005 to 2009
    The original article also said that it got considerably more deadly as it moved into Oregon and Washington. Probably the most telling word in your quite is analyzed. That doesn't mean that's all the cases there were.

Fungus is a different matter. It is very tough and very expensive to treat such infections, which are very rare in humans. This could be like Ebola, save that unlike Ebola, it has a long incubation time. If it develops the ability to transmit itself human to human, or even human to tree, we are in big trouble. This would be very expensive to deal with. When we are on the verge of economic collapse, we can't afford to deal with a new plague as well.
    Ebola did come to mind. There are periodic outbreaks when companies go into rain forests and start clear cutting in Africa. I seem to recall that that part of the country has a bit of a logging industry... Also, consider that as it lives in bark, what effect such a tree meeting a sawmill would have on spore release.

It may not have been much of a problem before, but it's getting more lethal and like Ebola, a disaster waiting to happen.

-t

This sounds like a problem only Obama can solve!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast