Thread: What about a constitutional amendment?

What about a constitutional amendment?

I think we need a constitutional amendment that places a term limit on legislation. That way a law can only be law for say 20 years. When it comes time for expiration of that law the current congress will have to re enact or let it expire. This is the best way to limit social programs and failing government programs.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    i like how what you just said completely contradicts your Goldwater quote lol.

"When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon."
    -Thomas Paine

"Every man gotta right to decide his own destiny"
    -Bob Marley

"In matters of style swim with the current; In matters of principle, stand like a rock."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Don't Tread on Mike View Post
    i like how what you just said completely contradicts your Goldwater quote lol.
    I don't think it does. It would help repeal laws, just as AuH2O would have wanted.

Congress has a much easier time extending laws than they do passing them. Reason being there usually are welfare portions of the law which affect people, so they are "forced" to continue them. Good idea, it just likely won't work.

well then the slate should be wiped clean every 20 years. and how does it contradict what goldwater said? i want to repeal laws by putting a limit on how long they can be a law.

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    well then the slate should be wiped clean every 20 years. and how does it contradict what goldwater said? i want to repeal laws by putting a limit on how long they can be a law.
    All they need to do is give one group welfare in every bill, that way, every 20 years that group will rise up and protest. Congress will get scared and extend the law another 20 years.

Because a Constitutional Amendment is still a law, just as Prohibition was a law. Your sig would theoretically be against anymore Constitutional Amendments.

Quote Originally Posted by TCE View Post
    Congress has a much easier time extending laws than they do passing them. Reason being there usually are welfare portions of the law which affect people, so they are "forced" to continue them. Good idea, it just likely won't work.
    It would work if an analysis had to be done to determine if the law was successful in accomplishing it's objectives or was counterproductive. If the latter, it would have to sunset. GAO and their ilk would be good for this.

I'd also put the mandatory sunset at 10 years.

The other advantage is that it would so tie up Congress from doing more damage that it would be a major WIN for the public and congress critters with long records of passing BAD legislation could get booted! Put that in the amendment too! - mandatory immediate retirement for voting for laws that hurt the country or didn't do what they were supposed to do - that would change things!

-t

Quote Originally Posted by forsmant View Post
    When it comes time for expiration of that law the current congress will have to re enact or let it expire.
    Wouldn't that give congress critters more opportunities to add pork to bills?

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If we put term limits on Congresspeople themselves then a new batch could repeal the law normally.
    It also helps against lobbying.
    I suggest a limit of 1 term, maybe 2 at most.