Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mitt Romney... our current biggest 2012 obstacle?

Quote Originally Posted by Nate G. View Post
    You're argument still shows that you know very little about Romney. Pandering to Dems in MA. You must not realize that the Dems hated him as Governor. Why? Because he was relentless with his veto pen. He vetoed billions from their budget. He vetoed provisions that would expand access to abortion in the state. He fought against raising the minimum wage. He did not negotiate his principles. Having your veto over-ridden is not negotiating.

BTW- I fully support his foreign policy. I won't even attempt to argue that because it is moot. That is the one area where I differ greatly from the good Dr. Paul. You can bash me all you want for that. My feelings and opinion will stay intact.
    Being slightly less leftist than the Democrats are is hardly an accomplishment...

Romney is elitist scum and we're not buying your infiltration act here....

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by sofia View Post
    Mitt IS the enemy. He is a despeccable hypocrite.

....An Israeli bootlicker and warmonger with FIVE able bodied sons that refuse to fight.

...A donor to Planned Parenthood until he decided he wanted to be a national candidate and is now "pro-life"

... a sleazy Botoxed con man who would sell his own mother to fulfill his political ambitions.

...a peddler of the Global Warming Hoax

...a big government Republican who wont cut a dime from the budget

...a supporter of the Bailout

take your Romney garbage someplace else....we aint buyin it....
    Refuse to fight? I don't think anyone ever asked. If they were called upon they would certainly do it.

Donor? His wife did once, not him. 19 YEARS AGO.

BOTOX? I don't know if he uses it, regardless that's childish attack worthy of the dems.

Global Warming? Get your facts straight. I'm sure you've read a comment from his post book. Try reading the rest of the page to enlighten you mind on his position.

He cut billions from the budget in MA. Did you accidentally over look that?

Baseless attacks and catchy rants. I could criticize Romney myself with better argument than you have.

You're argument still shows that you know very little about Romney. Pandering to Dems in MA. You must not realize that the Dems hated him as Governor. Why? Because he was relentless with his veto pen. He vetoed billions from their budget. He vetoed provisions that would expand access to abortion in the state. He fought against raising the minimum wage. He did not negotiate his principles. Having your veto over-ridden is not negotiating.

BTW- I fully support his foreign policy. I won't even attempt to argue that because it is moot. That is the one area where I differ greatly from the good Dr. Paul. You can bash me all you want for that. My feelings and opinion will stay intact.
    My comment was relating to the issues in the post I quoted, not the ones you just mentioned. But if you must..

"The minimum wage is important to our economy and Mitt Romney supports minimum wage increase, at least in line with inflation."
    - Romney 2002 campaign website

Note: Democrats of MA proposed minimum wage increase in line with inflation. Romney backed away from his promise to make himself look good and put the dems in a bad light. Partisan nonsense.

Romney's anti-federalist/anti-civil liberties positions:

"Boy, I sure do. You know, that's a topic that's really, I think, very important to the country because marriage is not just about adults. Marriage is about the development and nurturing of kids, and in my view, the development of a child is enhanced by having a mom and dad. And so, I think it's very important that we have a national standard because marriage is a status. You get married in one place and then you move to another, you're still married at least in the eyes of the community and the children and the benefits may not follow you, but ultimately we're going to have one standard of marriage in this country and that standard ought to be one man and one woman."
    - MSNBC's "Morning Joe"

Note: while governor, Romney was a critic of a gay marriage ban included in the Constitution.

Criticism of gun rights activists while Governor:

"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA," Romney told the Boston Herald in 1994.

At another campaign stop that year, he told reporters: "I don't line up with the NRA."

If it's possible, I'm finding less and less redeemable qualities about him.
    Last edited by Flash; 04-18-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Being slightly less leftist than the Democrats are is hardly an accomplishment...

Romney is elitist scum and we're not buying your infiltration act here....
    Slightly less leftist. Again, any evidence? Your perspective on left versus right perplexes me.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Slightly less leftist. Again, any evidence? Your perspective on left versus right perplexes me.
    what's so hard to understans? 8 years of a GOP president and a GOP congress ended with a 400 billion dollar annual deficit, trillion dollar bailout, stimulus, bigger government......

the only thing that GOP scum can brag about is that it wasnt as bad as Obama's spending....

u think Romney will change this????

no thanks

what's so hard to understand? 8 years of a GOP president and a GOP congress ended with a 400 billion dollar annual deficit, trillion dollar bailout, stimulus, bigger government......

the only thing that GOP scum can brag about is that it wasnt as bad as Obama's spending....

no thanks

Has Romney apologized for supporting the bailout?

Has he repudiated his "I like mandates" remark during a 2007 Presidential debate?

The first position I mentioned makes him a corporatist.

The second position makes him a leftist.

You've said you like Ron Paul in an earlier post. I'm wondering, besides foreign policy, what do you see in a Romney presidency as compared to Paul?

Refuse to fight? I don't think anyone ever asked. If they were called upon they would certainly do it.

Donor? His wife did once, not him. 19 YEARS AGO.

BOTOX? I don't know if he uses it, regardless that's childish attack worthy of the dems.

Global Warming? Get your facts straight. I'm sure you've read a comment from his post book. Try reading the rest of the page to enlighten you mind on his position.

He cut billions from the budget in MA. Did you accidentally over look that?

Baseless attacks and catchy rants. I could criticize Romney myself with better argument than you have.

How much does Mitt pay you guys to blog for him? I hear his straw poll drones get paid rather generously.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Has Romney apologized for supporting the bailout?

Has he repudiated his "I like mandates" remark during a 2007 Presidential debate?

The first position I mentioned makes him a corporatist.

The second position makes him a leftist.
    I'll answer that, if you can tell me what Romney said after that sentence. Let me know if you understand the full context of what he said and I'll respond.

I'll answer that, if you can tell me what Romney said after that sentence. Let me know if you understand the full context of what he said and I'll respond.
    What about the answer to the first question?

As for the second question, it was about supporting a national mandate. Go to 0:43. What he said after was some Orwellian speak about how individuals are responsible when the government is forcing them to buy insurance.

YouTube - See Mitt Romney Promote an Individual Mandate
    Last edited by low preference guy; 04-18-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Romney calls for Global carbon caps and he also supports the Ethanol scam

YouTube - Romney answers global warming question in NH

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    How much does Mitt pay you guys to blog for him? I hear his straw poll drones get paid rather generously.
    Sofia, you are full of baseless accusations today.

Regarding my site, I have paid the full amount to set up the site. It cost me less that $100 to set it up and host it because I did all the work myself and used all free software. I did the artwork myself, designed the site. We do the SEO and promotion ourselves. We are not paid to blog. The items we have for sale in the store I have designed and actually manufactured myself. I've never asked for a donation to operate the site, and noone has ever given one. All the work on the blog is done in my no-so-spare-time as I work 55 hours a week, young kids and church responsibilities. Our team members are all amateur volunteers who sacrifice time to work on the site. It's not easy and requires a lot of work and dedication to keep it up. At times it feels very burdensome, but I believe in the cause and must plug along.

I have never talked to Romney himself, though I've shaken hands with him about 5 times. I had a short conversation with his spokesperson a couple months ago and he didn't know who I was.

I assume you are referring to the SRLC Straw Poll. The group Evangelicals for Mitt did that operation and had absolutely no support (money or info) or any sort of connection to Romney or his PAC. They found their own donors, contacted all the people themselves to go to the conference. It was a pure grassroots effort.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    What about the answer to the first question?

As for the second question, it was about supporting a national mandate. Go to 0:43. What he said after was some Orwellian speak about how individuals are responsible when the government is forcing them to buy insurance.
    I'd answer you're question but you failed to answer correctly. It was not about supporting a national mandate. Try again.

I'd answer you're question but you failed to answer correctly. It was not about supporting a national mandate. Try again.
    Yes, it was about national mandate. The interviewer asked him about national mandates just before Romney answered. You're just spinning.

If you think it was about something else, say what it was about and justify your guy. Also, don't forget to comment on whether he apologized for supporting the bailout.

This guy's pretty brave to last this long tangling around here, a shame he's supporting a corporatist who'll probably do the exact same stuff as Bush would. They'll wise up too late, I figure.

Nothing like the good ole boys club in Mass... Has anyone looked into how
    Mitt profited from Governor?

How about BAIN Capital... anyone take a look there? The Great Destroyer of businesses...

Manchurian Mitt is the prefect candidate for the Democrats... He should of been
    Obama's VP, instead of Joe. They're almost all the same with the exception of very few with integrity and honesty... their entire life, not just for the next election or political goal.

How Romney Could Kill the ObamaCare Repeal Movement

Over the past several weeks, political observers have speculated about how passage of the national health care law modeled after the one Mitt Romney signed in Massachusetts could hurt his presidential ambitions. But more significant for conservatives is how Romney's presidential ambitions could stymie the effort to repeal ObamaCare.
    As it is, achieving a full repeal of the recently-passed health care law will be extremely difficult. Given that Obama would veto any bill to undo his signature legislative accomplishment, it means that to get rid of the law, Republicans will have to not only take back Congress, but capture the White House. It also means that conservatives will have to relentlessly campaign against ObamaCare during the next two elections and keep public outrage at an elevated level for at least the next three years. And even if they achieve all of this, they will have a short window to repeal the bill in 2013, because by 2014 the federal government will begin to dole out hundreds of billions of dollars in subsidies, which will create a whole new constituency to preserve the law.

If Romney were the Republican presidential nominee in 2012, it would make this already challenging fight even harder. Romney's role in creating a health care program quite similar to the one that just passed nationally would allow Obama to neutralize the issue during an election that would otherwise be a prime opportunity to make the case for repeal.
    The health care program Romney enacted as governor has the same basic architecture as the national health care law President Obama signed last month. Both programs rely on mandating that individuals purchase insurance and they provide government subsidies to people to buy government-designed insurance policies on a government-run exchange.
    Jonathan Gruber, the MIT health care economist who advised both Romney and Obama, told the Wall Street Journal, "If any one person in the world deserves credit for where we are now [with the passage of the new federal law], it's Mitt Romney... He designed the structure of the federal bill."

Romney and his loyal backers have tested a number of arguments in an attempt to distinguish RomneyCare from ObamaCare. For instance, they have tried to argue that the Massachusetts plan was made worse by the state's heavily Democratic legislature, over Romney's objections. But Romney signed the bill in 2006 anyway, with Ted Kennedy at his side, and did so knowing that he would not be seeking reelection as governor and that the law would almost definitely be implemented by a Democratic successor. Plus, there's wranglings that Romney lined up business for his long term colleagues and business partners.

Romneyites also argue that his was a state-based reform effort, rather than a one-size fits all federal approach. While this is true, it's also true that 20 percent of the cost of RomneyCare is being paid by federal taxpayers as a result of its Medicaid expansion.
    Even if one believes that there are genuine policy differences between the two programs, from a pure political perspective, there are clearly enough similarities for Obama to exploit over the course of a general election.

One need look no further than President Bush's 2004 reelection bid to see how such a strategy could play out. Though the Iraq war was growing increasingly unpopular at the time, the fact that John Kerry voted for the war resolution made it difficult for Democrats to present a clear contrast on the issue, and this allowed President Bush to muddy the waters. Likewise, if Romney tries to attack Obama on the national health care law, Democrats could counter that Romney was for it before he was against it. Partisan Republicans may scramble to explain the differences, but such distinctions would likely get blurred in the minds of the typical voters. In the end, the GOP wouldn't have a clean shot at ObamaCare.
    This would have repercussions down ballot as well. For instance, any attacks Republican candidates might want to make against the individual mandate would be blunted if the party nominated somebody who is on record YouTube - See Mitt Romney Promote an Individual Mandate, "I like mandates."

The White House understands this, and it's no surprise that Obama has been drawing parallels between the new law and the Massachusetts system at every opportunity.
    "You know, you've got a former governor of Massachusetts who's running around saying 'What's this health reform bill?'" Obama joked at recent fundraiser in Boston. "And I keep on scratching my head and I say, boy, this Massachusetts thing, who designed that?"

In an interview with CBS, Obama got a little ahead of himself, and said that the Democrats' legislation was "the sort of plan proposed by current Republican nominee Mitt Romney."
    Romney's response hasn't engendered much confidence that he'd be able to lead an effective campaign against ObamaCare.

"(Obama is) saying that I was the guy that came up with the idea for what he did," Romney said at a recent appearance in New Hampshire, according to the New York Times. "If ever again somewhere down the road I would be debating him, I would be happy to take credit for his accomplishment."

Romney's Free and Strong America PAC recently announced a "Prescription for Repeal" initiative to contribute to conservative candidates. But the language leaves a lot of wiggle room. The press release announcing the program says the PAC will support candidates who vow to support a repeal of "the worst aspects of Obamacare." But it doesn't define which aspects Romney considers "the worst" and which ones he finds acceptable. This is no trivial matter given that Romney has repeatedly defended the individual mandate on conservative grounds.

Just as John McCain was able to win the Republican nomination in 2008 despite his problems with the conservative base, Romney may be able to overcome his health care record in the primaries. And perhaps there are circumstances under which he could beat Obama by emphasizing economic and foreign policy issues. But win or lose, Romney would not be able to credibly campaign against the national health care law. And as a result, were he the Republican nominee, it would kill the movement to repeal ObamaCare.
    Last edited by HOLLYWOOD; 04-18-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    The American Dream, Wake Up People, This is our country! <===click

"All eyes are opened, or opening to the rights of man, let the annual return of this day(July 4th), forever refresh our recollections of these rights, and an undiminished devotion to them."
    Thomas Jefferson
    June 1826

Rock The World!
    USAF Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by RM918 View Post
    This guy's pretty brave to last this long tangling around here, a shame he's supporting a corporatist who'll probably do the exact same stuff as Bush would. They'll wise up too late, I figure.
    At least he is being civil and for the most part bringing up rational discussions. There is not a chance in the world I could ever support Mitt Romney, but I am learning some things (such as how the MA health care thing went down).

Not to totally back up this guy, but think of it like this. People wrongly accuse Dr. Paul of being a racist because of the newsletters when they don't even really know the whole story behind it (or probably never even read the actual words in there). Also, think about all of the people who think Dr. Paul's ideas are radical because they hear two second soundbites thinking he IMMEDIATELY wants to End the Fed, abolish the IRS, cut medicare/SS, shut down all military bases abroad, etc and they don't know that he really has a logical approach to do it over time (well other than Ending the Fed which could be done nearly immediately).

I think it is good to have this sort of discussion - he is being civil and bringing up points to contradict the 2 second soundbites that we hear.

Still, Romney's policies are WAY to the left of Dr. Paul and there is absolutely no way I could foresee any member of this forum chaning their mind about Romney - so what harm is it?
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him." - James D. Miles"

Well, there you have it. The reason Romney has support, is because of the Mormon church.

In this off year election, my caucus was empty of Romney supporters organized by the Mormon church. This meant the caucus wasn't so split apart, and no one candidate for the delegation was pitted against another. If Romney runs, I think I'd see those numbers again on caucus night.
    Last edited by ninepointfive; 04-19-2010 at 12:29 AM.

I like Romney as a person. He sounds like a great bloke...

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by silus View Post
    I like Romney as a person. He sounds like a great bloke...
    I would too, except he wants to put crippling sanctions on Iran, even though Iran helped us in Afghanistan against the Taliban. That means he is a terrorist. $#@! the terrorists.

And he wants to mandate people to buy health insurance. Health insurance is not health care, it is welfare for corporations. He wants people to give their money to rich corporations. They'll have to work more, have less time with their kids, and not be able to spend as much on healthy food for their children. If they wanted to give everybody in Massachusetts healthcare, they should have just built a public hospital and hired some doctors and nurses.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

Quote Originally Posted by sratiug View Post
    If they wanted to give everybody in Massachusetts healthcare, they should have just built a public hospital and hired some doctors and nurses.
    Now there is a truly liberal answer. Turn it over to the government.... right.

Oh yeah, and it's a smart idea too to let Iran get nukes so they can blow Israel out of existence and use them on us if in any way possible. That will definitely keep us and the middle-east much safer. Now that's the kind of peace I'm talking about.

Oh yeah, and it's a smart idea too to let Iran get nukes so they can blow Israel out of existence and use them on us if in any way possible. That will definitely keep us and the middle-east much safer. Now that's the kind of peace I'm talking about.
    Romney turned it over to the corporations. Fascism is not greater than socialism.

We just threatened Iran with nukes, Israel consistently calls for military strikes on Iran. Explain why Israelis have more right to live in the Middle East than Iranians. I didn't tell Israelis to steal land in that neighborhood. Thieves usually make people angry.

Israel has attacked America in the Levon affair and the murderous USS Liberty attack, and with countless spies stealing our secrets. They are not our ally, and our generals are warning us that Israeli actions are putting our servicemen in danger.
    Member of Ron Paul Forums Double Flat Tariff Only Society - Working towards eliminating all the foreign producer/outsource subsidizing internal federal taxes in favor of an across the board flat tariff applied equally to every country and every product.

ex-speaker newt G. has arrived... his 527 and its 2.7 million campaign
    fund seyz he is a player who could crowd into gentleman mitt's turf!!!

First off, the Mitt care/Obama care issue aside, Mitt is a known liar and an admitted gun banner. He lied and said he was a lifelong hunter, which was verified as a lie when he was found to have never had any type of hunting license. He has openly and repeatedly supporting banning so called "assault weapons" nationally. For most people into individual liberty and the constitution, gun control and someone's position on this is a pretty good litmus test as to where their heart really lies when it comes to individual liberty and the constitution. It is pretty obvious that he isn't on our side... hence the reason I started this thread in the first place.

Does anyone have any more thoughts on the OP?
    It does not take a majority to prevail... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.
    -Samuel Adams

I'd like to add gay marriage to the list of things that makes Romney unlikely to get the Republican Nomination in 2012.

if sen. cornyn (R) of texas and mitch mcconnell met up with wall street people recently to
    the degree where president obama wonders why the foot dragging on campaign reform,
    does this have anything to do with the 2.7 million newt now has, rather than goldman sachs...

what if the cambling casino mentality on WALL STREET and the skim
    on the federal gov't bailout funds that is morphing into PAC & 527 monies
    is the many headed hydra of politcal corruption all true reformers are fighting?

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Nate, do you have any quotes from Ahmedenijad saying he wanted to destroy Israel as opposed to merely removing the zionist government of Israel? It doesn't seem logical for Iran to nuke Israel to ashes if their concern is the plight of the Palestinian people.

I pegged Mitt Romney as a big government phoney poitician the first time I saw and heard him speak on television. This man would be poison and CANNOT win against BO.
    Carole

"Mr. Chairman, we have in this Country one of the most corrupt institutions the world has ever known. I refer to the Federal Reserve Board and the Federal Reserve Banks, hereinafter called the Fed. The Fed has cheated the Government of these United States and the people of the United States out of enough money to pay the Nation's debt. The depredations and iniquities of the Fed has cost enough money to pay the National debt several times over. -Cong. Louis McFadden

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast