Thread: President's Military Remark Stirs Uproar

President's Military Remark Stirs Uproar

I wonder where he's going with his comment.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...est=latestnews

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    John McCain's comment is actually even more interesting. Check this out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Article
    "That's one of the more incredible statements I've ever heard a president of the United States make in modern times," McCain, a Vietnam veteran and former prisoner of war, told Fox News. "We are the dominant superpower, and we're the greatest force for good in the history of this country, and I thank God every day that we are a dominant superpower."
    We're the greatest force for good in the history of this country? If we're just talking about the country and not the world, then he's obviously not referring to the US as a whole as the greatest force for good. Who is the "we" he's referring to here...the federal government? The Keating Five?

I imagine he just misspoke, but it's kind of funny that what he actually said is orders of magnitude more arrogant than what he probably meant to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

I take it to imply that Obama is not fully gun-ho with the meddling in the middle east and feels pressured by TPTB (read AIPAC/military-industrial complex, etc), but I can very easily be wrong.
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TodaysEpistleReading View Post
    I take it to imply that Obama is not fully gun-ho with the meddling in the middle east and feels pressured by TPTB (read AIPAC/military-industrial complex, etc), but I can very easily be wrong.
    Yeah, it's a pretty ambiguous remark, like a Rorschach blot...possibly deliberately so. The opposite possibility is that he's basically saying, "We're going to keep doing what we (your rulers) want, whether you (the people) like it or not."

I get the feeling that he actually means it the way I'm suggesting, but he wants the anti-war crowd to believe he means it the way you're suggesting, to string them along and make them think he might be their ally after all. Meanwhile, neocons can have a field day calling him an America-hater for that comment specifically, and the whole thing just further polarizes Americans into partisan camps and pits us against each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

We are the dominant superpower, and we're the greatest force for good in the history of this country, and I thank God every day that we are a dominant superpower.
    McCain is showing early stage dementia, either Parkinson or Alzheimer. I'm not joking. He keeps saying really stupid things and getting facts incorrect.

It's a good thing to say right around 4/15, though. He's basically thanking God that he has the ability to steal money from the American middle class and spend it on dominating the world.
    Last edited by furface; 04-16-2010 at 08:28 AM.

I take it as Obama implying that because we are so powerful, we have a responsibility to engage in war.

He's telling all the anti-war folks to STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
    Yeah, it's a pretty ambiguous remark, like a Rorschach blot...possibly deliberately so. The opposite possibility is that he's basically saying, "We're going to keep doing what we (your rulers) want, whether you (the people) like it or not."

I get the feeling that he actually means it the way I'm suggesting, but he wants the anti-war crowd to believe he means it the way you're suggesting, to string them along and make them think he might be their ally after all. Meanwhile, neocons can have a field day calling him an America-hater for that comment specifically, and the whole thing just further polarizes Americans into partisan camps and pits us against each other.
    This is how I took it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
    I take it as Obama implying that because we are so powerful, we have a responsibility to engage in war.

He's telling all the anti-war folks to STFU.
    Essentially, that is what he is saying, although he "laments" it... His rationale is that because we have a powerful military, it must be used in conflicts across the globe because...well...er...just because!

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.