Thread: Anti-virus live virus. very nasty

Anti-virus live virus. very nasty

i just got that virus an hour ago. all of a sudden my comp just started scanning for viruses all on its own. i couldnt click out of it or stop it. i restarted the comp and it was still there. when i tried to open an IE window it wouldnt let me saying it was scanning again. firefox would open fine though. i then went and did a system retore for apr 09 which was the last microsoft update. now its running fine and the scan is gone. im also doing a virus scan and its found 1 trojan horse that i have deleted.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yup, known scam.
    There were some threads about it a while ago (quite a while).But here are a couple related links.
    http://www.afrigeneas.com/forum-tech...d=read;id=1524
    http://www.content4reprint.com/compu...anner-scam.htm

Then there are the total scammers. These are among the prolific of theives online. Their scam often catches the unwary, the illiterate, the easily panicked. Some of these so called virus scanners have been nothing more than clever frauds. Still others have been clever attempts at identity theft as they scan the victim's computer for financial information or user names and password information.

Then there are still others that start as a trojan that mislead the victims into "purchasing" the scammer's software to get rid of the virus. In one sense, this spells double trouble. How? The victim buys a fake software that can be more dangerous as it can lead to the victim's identity theft. It may get rid of the virus or just the message, but plants others in its place.

It should also be noted that this scam is growing very fast. Scammers and would be thieves are using this type of scam more often than one would believe.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

thanks. this one didnt even ask if i wanted to download it. it just started a scan. at first it looked like my windows was doing the scan but it was impossible to stop it. i think the system restore got rid of it.

I had this, and it was a complete bitch to get rid of. It'll probably come back.

After having trouble even opening my virus scanners, one didn't catch it, the other said it deleted it, but then a week later it came back. Did it again, same thing. I tried a few other things and it's been about 2-3 months since it's come back.

SUPERantispyware (free edition) is the only thing that worked for me, and for that it even took two tries.

Goodluck.
    In the end, it's never what you worry about that gets you.

Malware has gotten to the point where it is almost impossible to remove once having gotten it.

I started using a "sandbox" program that runs in virtual environment.

It completely isolates your browser, email and other programs you select to run only in that cordoned off area.

Malware attack? Shut down and reboot. Everything in the "sandbox" is deleted, permanent files left untouched.

Here's a freeware one:

http://www.sandboxie.com/
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

This is the part where I drop to my knees and thank God that I don't have to use Internet Explorer anymore. It was buggy, slow, and not even very attractive. I don't miss it a bit.

thanks. what does the sandbox thing do?

Warning: There's a new virus on the loose that's worse than
    anything I've seen before! It gets in through the power line,
    riding on the 60 Hz subcarrier. It works by changing the
    serial port pinouts, and by reversing the direction one's disks
    spin. Over 300,000 systems have been hit by it here in Murphy,
    West Dakota alone! And that's just in the last 12 hours.

It attacks DOS, Unix, TOPS-20, Apple-II, VMS, MVS, Multics, Mac,
    DVD, RSX-11, ITS, 98, TRS-80, XP, ME, NT, YOU, and VHS systems.

To prevent the spread of the worm:

1) Don't upload or download files.
    2) Don't store files on floppy disks or hard disks.
    3) Don't use serial ports, modems, LANs, or phone lines.
    4) Don't use keyboards, screens, or printers.
    5) Don't read messages. (Not even this one)!
    6) Don't use switches, CPUs, memories, microprocessors, PDAs, or
    mainframes.
    7) Don't use the power line.
    8) Don't use batteries either, since there are rumors that this
    virus has invaded most major battery plants and is infecting the
    positive poles of the batteries. (You might try hooking up just
    the negative pole.)
    9) Don't use electric lights, electric or gas heat or
    air-conditioning, running water, writing, fire, clothing or the
    wheel.

I'm sure if we are all careful to follow these 9 easy steps, this
    virus can be eradicated, and the precious electronic fluids of
    our computers can be kept pure.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I use a one-two punch to get rid of these new malwares. it works everytime.
    I use an Avast bartcd with the latest definitions added- I make a thorough scan from the bootcd and remove the heart of the problem.
    I then boot the system with all internet connections removed from the box.
    I install malwarebytes (i have it on a jump drive). run it once- on full system scan.
    then i plug the box back into the internet, update malwarebytes and run one more full system scan.

at that point, i check the browser. if its not connecting or acting right. I install HijackThis (from my jumpdrive), and go through the scan list it generates and remove all entries that shouldn't belong or just look fishy. also remove anything with 127.0.0.1 in it.

these steps haven't failed me yet and i fix computers for a living. I see two or three systems a day that are infected. so this process has been thoroughly tested and refined over time.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 04-12-2010 at 08:59 AM.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by sarahgop View Post
    thanks. what does the sandbox thing do?
    It runs whatever program you want, in this case a browser and email client in a "virtual" realm, simulating everything needed for the program to run within the sandbox or "firewalls".

If you catch malware or scumware and cannot get rid of it, just reboot.

Everything in the "sandbox" is scrubbed upon restart.

Torch's method is pretty foolproof as well.
    Another mark of a tyrant is that he likes foreigners better than citizens, and lives with them and invites them to his table; for the one are enemies, but the Others enter into no rivalry with him. - Aristotle's Politics Book 5 Part 11

Use firefox as a browser and you'll have much less of a problem with this.
    "Gentlemen, I have had men watching you for a long time and I am convinced that you have used the funds of the bank to speculate in the breadstuffs of the country. When you won, you divided the profits amongst you, and when you lost, you charged it to the bank...You are a den of vipers and thieves. I intend to rout you out, and by the grace of the Eternal God, will rout you out."- Andrew Jackson (The Guy on the 20)

www.micahnelson.com

You guys all count on your Anti Virus software way way too much.

The trick here is to be smart and take another method to protect yourselves. Get a firewall, a good firewall. And set it up so that any outgoing connection attempts have to be authorized by you.

The reason I suggest a firewall is many of the exploits that exist for just about everything that is suseptible to an attack is that many times, the $#@! they try to get on to your computer is downloaded thru a smaller initial application that runs, then downloads, then runs the thing it just downloaded. There are so many exploits out there that it doesnt really matter if you run firefox, internet explorer, or use telnet get prompts to browse the web. Many of these exploits attack plugins that run on all your browsers, like Adobe Acrobat, and Adobe Flash, Java, Javascript (the two are comletely different even if the names look like they are identical).

Other things that firewalls do a better job of protecting you over is windows exploits. Thats the primary reason that Windows XP Service Pack 2 was the best thing that microsoft ever did. And its true. Even the crappy windows firewall does a decent job of protecting against potential infections that look for windows vunerabilities. But the Windows firewall has a downside.

Say you go to www.bleargh.com or something and this little script runs on your computer. The windows firewall wont see it because the script runs on your computer and tries to download a nasty virus from an external source. The windows firewall does not see this as an Incoming Connection Attempt, it sees it as an Outgoing Connection Attempt, which, by default, it allows. A 3rd Party Firewall like the Free Kerio Sunbelt Firewall will come up and say "such and such a script is attempting to connect to the internet" and if you arent expecting something to go out and try to talk to the internet for you, tell it to $#@! off and deny its request. Once the script is unable to get the real virus, it just fails and you dont get infected.

Now, look at the program that you guys got infected with. A BS anti virus, which has all sorts of graphics, buttons, "features" and does all this $#@! on your computer. If it was small, it could come in via a script or an exploit, but it is limited by its size. For example, "format c:" could run and takes a split second to get on to your box. But something like that big ass anti virus program most likely has to be downloaded, and its usually by some other program making a request for it.

As a gamer, I do NOT run anti virus. They suck and they slow down my computer too much. I dont follow the advice of most "security experts", I dont update my system, I dont update windows, my plugins, I dont get every patch on the planet, I do use Internet Explorer, and I pretty much live on the web. I do have an anti virus installed, several of them in a matter of fact, but pretty much dont use them unless I am requested to test a specific source of material (website, or a program) for a potential infection. Like it was suggested to run things in a SANDBOX mode, this is kind of simliar. THe Kerio Firewall I suggested also has another feature to prevent applications from running other applications. I have not seen anything get by that yet, although the last several exploits I've seen managed to sneak their way past AVG and several other real time AV protection programs. I get this little window that pesters me that such and such a program is trying to execute services. msc and I tell it to go $#@! itself. After which I delete the one single offending file before it can run its exploits and actually infect my system. After all of this, I turn my AV's back off, and the annoying as hell "prevent application from starting another application without permission", and go back to my virus free days since 1998.

Im not trying to brag, or say that my computer skills exceed anyones, but merely point out your strengths and weaknesses and how to defend yourselves against viruses better, and the first point I will make is the first line of my post. You depend on crappy anti virus programs way way way too much, get a firewall.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

this all sounds very complicated.

Here's the thing about Anti Virus.

These companies have spent $#@!loads of money to get people to believe in the idea that the only thing that you need to protect yourself from a virus is an anti virus. And it simply isnt true. Anti Virus works about as well to fix computer problems as a Splint and a roll of Duck Tape work to fix Erectile Dysfunction. The problem is that the companies dont give a $#@! about you, they dont give a $#@! about their product, they dont give a $#@! whether or not their product protects you at all. The only thing they do give a $#@! about is making money. So they spend money to get you to believe that anti virus is a one shot wonder that will do everything and you have no worries. They only give a $#@! whether or not you believe that statement, but dont care if they do their job or not.

Enter the hackers, pirates, and other not-quite-so-trustworthy individuals on the interweb. Their position is the exact opposite. They dont give a $#@! about your money. They dont give a $#@! about infecting you. They dont give a $#@! about building a virus that can destroy the entire internet. They do give a $#@! about making a name for themselves by building something that works the way they say it works. They give a $#@! about their reputations. Some, not all, but some (as with any group) do want your money and do want to screw up your computer and of that small group, an even smaller group has decided the best way to do this is to either steal your financial information, or, make damaging your computer profitable. These people are the ones that start up big companies like Norton Anti Virus, McAfee, and so on. Hackers also dont give a $#@! about advertising their product, they care about their reputation of being able to do what they say they can do. Hackers fix more of the problems than they cause. They fix the annoying things about our computers that we hate, like having to stick a CD in your CD drive every time you want to play a game. Hackers find out what is wrong with your computer to begin with, find its security holes, then tell people that can fix it that it exists.

In my book, I trust the hackers more than I trust the anti virus companies like Norton.

The conclusion I have come to is that a hacker wants to build their reputation for being able to do what they say they can do, and will build tools and utilities that allow them to accomplish their goals. Hackers also benefit from having people use their utilities and are able to get their tools more well known by being free, as a way of promoting their tools. If they charged for everything they built, everything in the world would be $#@!. As a result, I sincerely believe that the free programs built by individuals with a purpose are far more useful than anything I would have to pay for. Programs like Spybot, even if the guy doesnt believe himself to be a hacker, he pretty much is by trying to exploit programs, in his case, he exploits programs that exploit programs.

Go with the free firewalls, and free programs more than the garbage from Norton, you'll be much better off.
    1776 > 1984

Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahgop View Post
    this all sounds very complicated.
    Click.

http://www.sunbeltsoftware.com/home-...onal-firewall/

Install.

Play with it.

If it screws up and something stops working, uninstall it.

Play with it some more until you learn how to use it. Once you figure out how to use it, you wont be afraid of it.

Dont be afraid to ask questions.

My advice: Its a firewall. It monitors incoming and outgoing connection attempts. Like a telephone. Listen to your kids conversations. If you arent expecting a program to go out and talk to the internet, I would suggest not allowing it to have access to the internet. But, say for instance, you open Internet Explorer, you are expecting to go online, so you are expecting the program to talk to the internet. Something like this you can say OK or ALLOW to. You click UPDATE in some program you got. That also means it wants to talk to the internet, because it needs to talk to the internet to find out if there is an update. This is expected.

But, if you are sitting there playing solitaire and iAmTehDum.exe "wants to talk to the internet", tell it to piss off and DENY. Incoming connection attempt while you arent doing anything, probably a bot, also tell it to go take a long walk off a short pier.

If you do not expect it, do not allow it. We can explain better if you run into specific programs that you may be unsure what to do.

----

Your kid comes home from school, mom can I call my friends? Its up to you to say whether or not they can or can not. If they dont ASK, you dont have CONTROL.

Mom, can I spend the night at my friends house? They asked. Your call. Sure why not.

Mom, can I spend the night at my boyfriends house all weekend? His parents are out of town and we can have sex all weekend long? They asked. And you can say sure if you want to, but I wouldnt recommend it.

You cant have control over your computer unless it asks you for permission. And computers are becoming like kids, where they dont want to ask for permission to do the $#@! that they want to do, even though they could get hurt, or infected, as a result.
    Last edited by DamianTV; 04-13-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Analogy
    1776 > 1984

I'll have to try torch's method the next time someone asks me to clean this crap off of their Windows box...some of the new fake AV malware is extremely persistent, and I've had trouble wiping it for good. IIRC some are using rootkits to hide the bits that keep bringing everything else back. I got screwed once because msconfig startup program settings wouldn't stick between reboots, I couldn't really access the Internet, I couldn't really install anything, I couldn't run Task Manager, I couldn't run most programs, AV scans I COULD run would apparently miss some bits, the malware would come back under a new name if I deleted the main file manually, and safe mode wouldn't boot...so I had to boot from another drive, copy over the user data, and start from scratch with a fresh Windows installation! ARRRRRGH! (Technically, I could've cleaned everything after booting from the other drive, but at that point, I was beyond half measures. I had to install a new hard drive anyway, so it worked out. )
    Last edited by Mini-Me; 04-13-2010 at 05:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yeah, these new fake anti viruses are a nightmare to remove, sometimes nearly impossible.

But, here is the point. If your kid never went out, would your kid get in trouble for breaking curfew, shoplifting, having sex with the football team? No. They get in trouble because they were allowed to go out and do what they wanted.

Computers are the same way. Hence, get a firewall. Can I go out? I might get in trouble... Um, NO. Chapperone your computer and what it does on the internet the same way as you chapperone your kids until they are smart enough to take care of themselves. Its a pain in the ass for a while, but once you teach your computer to talk to websites you have been to before (like your banking website), but tell it that going to www.quicktrax.ch.freeip.net/bankofamerica is not the real website, it wont go there again.

They have to be taught what to do and what not to do. Be a good parent and teach your computer to not do things you dont want it to do.

IE, get a firewall and forget the anti virus.
    1776 > 1984

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Yeah, these new fake anti viruses are a nightmare to remove, sometimes nearly impossible.

But, here is the point. If your kid never went out, would your kid get in trouble for breaking curfew, shoplifting, having sex with the football team? No. They get in trouble because they were allowed to go out and do what they wanted.

Computers are the same way. Hence, get a firewall. Can I go out? I might get in trouble... Um, NO. Chapperone your computer and what it does on the internet the same way as you chapperone your kids until they are smart enough to take care of themselves. Its a pain in the ass for a while, but once you teach your computer to talk to websites you have been to before (like your banking website), but tell it that going to www.quicktrax.ch.freeip.net/bankofamerica is not the real website, it wont go there again.

They have to be taught what to do and what not to do. Be a good parent and teach your computer to not do things you dont want it to do.

IE, get a firewall and forget the anti virus.
    It's easier said than done when it's not my computer we're talking about....grumble...
    Quote Originally Posted by President John F. Kennedy
    And we must face the fact that the United States is neither omnipotent nor omniscient. That we are only 6% of the world's population, and that we cannot impose our will upon the other 94% of mankind. That we cannot right every wrong or reverse each adversity, and that therefore there cannot be an American solution to every world problem.
    I need an education in US history, from the ground up. Can you help point me to a comprehensive, unbiased, scholarly resource?

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    Here's the thing about Anti Virus.
    Here's the thing about firewalls. The average user doesn't know what to authorize or not to authorize. a good firewall will nag the average user enough that they will start clicking allow on everything. same thing with windows UAC. after awhile, people just click ok to get the nag out of the way.
    any firewall is as good as its user.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

But Damian's right to teach how to not to be lazy about it the right way.

BTW torch your solution was interesting too. Good thread.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

hard to feel any sympathy when people use IE as a browser.

If you choose to play with old land mines you find laying around, don't complain when they blow up in your face.

Quote Originally Posted by nayjevin View Post
    But Damian's right to teach how to not to be lazy about it the right way.

BTW torch your solution was interesting too. Good thread.
    I'm just going by what i see everyday. every person who gets their system infected has had every variety of anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall software installed on their computers. In all cases the cause of the infection is an ID-10-T error. what i call an idiotic user error.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 04-13-2010 at 08:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    I'm just going by what i see everyday. every person who gets their system infected has had every variety of anti-virus/anti-malware/firewall software installed on their computers. In all cases the cause of the infection is an ID-10-T error. what i call an idiotic user error.
    Good point.
    This is why ,when I got my first computer, I learned about both the system and the threats.

One other correlating factor. They are ALL using Micro$oft products.
    This is why I don't.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Make something idiot proof and the world will build a better idiot. Or PEBKAC (Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

People have to both learn what to allow and not allow on their computers, and to "teach" their computers what they can and can not get away with.

For the record, if someone is confused by a program that constantly wants to talk to the internet, they are safer hitting DENY than ALLOW.
    1776 > 1984

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another point to consider if you don't already ... have an admin account on your machine and do not use that account for regular use. Regular use should be a second account that only has 'user' privileges (no install, etc).

It's not perfect ... but it stops most attacks.

It can, but from a gamers perspective, a lot of games have to run with administrative privies...

Of course, it goes back to priviledges, or permissions. If your computer doesnt ask for permission, it will do what ever the hell it wants to do (or is told to do), including jumping off the proverbial bridge. Its one of the reasons I prefer a firewall over anti virus. With a firewall, one can allow or deny access, or that action as a rule, so this program or that program can access the internet and this one can not. It is annoying as hell at first as every program nowadays wants to phone home for whatever their purpose is. It is one of the things that makes IE so dangerous, is those $#@!ing toolbars every website wants you to install. Once they run as a part of IE and are allowed full access to the internet, they open so many security holes and send out so much private information that it just isnt funny. Its like your kid is gonna get in trouble because his bad news buddy came over with a plan to cause trouble.

Thats another thing that so many people do, is they install everything in the world and every toolbar they can imagine. Google, Yahoo, Torrent toolbars, Porno toolbars, search toolbars, everything. Lets just have a party and invite all the bad kids to come to ones house so they can steal what ever they want out of your house.

People really need to quit installing toolbars, firefox, or IE.

Next security tip: Get Spybot Search and Destroy, and use its IMMUNIZE function.

On this note, when one goes to google or yahoo or whatever to search for spybot, be advised that MOST of the links for programs like this are complete bull$#@!. I've spoken to a number of customers that had googled, then installed something that was NOT spybot, and they wanted money to uninstall. Total RANSOMWARE. Give us money and we will give you your computer back. If you want spybot, click the link below and make sure the program does not DEMAND money. It asks for donations, but does not charge for use of its software.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html (REAL LINK, CLICK IT)

h ttp://Spybot.SD-Net.com (DO NOT CLICK!!!!) This particular link came up above the real link on Googles Sponsored Links. This is one of the ones that is complete bull$#@! and everyone needs to stay away from. Personally, I completely fault google for allowing fake $#@! like this to run ads that are purposefully misleading.
    1776 > 1984