Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lysander Spooner: Civil War was a worse crime than slavery

Lysander Spooner: Civil War was a worse crime than slavery

Lysander Spooner: Slavery, The Constitution And Civil War

The individualist anarchist on American values espoused in the Constitution and the injustices of Lincoln's Civil War. Could slavery have ended more peacefully?
    "Freedom really means the freedom to make mistakes." - Mises

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Slavery ended peacefully in the europeans countries.
    England didn't go through a civil war to end slavery.
    You just buy up the slaves and ban the sale of humans.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

it wasn't about slavery!

Buc Jason in 3....2......1....
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I think that both slavery and the illegal invasion of a sovereign country by the US government are reprehensible.

Last edited by Matt Collins; 04-01-2010 at 02:48 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by todd View Post
    buc jason in 3....2......1....
    hahaha!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry
    Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
    Democracy or Republic, Which is it?

My first contribution to the campaign

The Best Ron Paul Poster EVER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    Slavery ended peacefully in the europeans countries.
    England didn't go through a civil war to end slavery.
    You just buy up the slaves and ban the sale of humans.
    This is one part that I disagree with Ron Paul on - the southern slave states never would have wanted to sell their slaves to the government. No way. It's a great idea in theory, but it wouldn't have worked in the 19th century. The slave states would never have wanted to pay legit labor.
    Brian Defferding
    Freelance Illustrator
    My Portfolio | www.deftoons.com | Follow Me On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    This is one part that I disagree with Ron Paul on - the southern slave states never would have wanted to sell their slaves to the government. No way. It's a great idea in theory, but it wouldn't have worked in the 19th century. The slave states would never have wanted to pay legit labor.
    if you read the history of farm implements, you'd see that slavery would have been replaced by the tractor and combine.
    you could get 4 people to do the job of 100 slaves.
    the cost of hiring 4 people legit would be cheaper than buying 100 slaves, feeding/housing them, etc.
    Looking at the history of farming, a peaceful resolution would definitely be possible.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    if you read the history of farm implements, you'd see that slavery would have been replaced by the tractor and combine.
    the cost of hiring 4 people legit would be cheaper than buying 100 slaves, feeding/housing them, etc.
    Looking at the history of farming, a peaceful resolution would definitely be possible.
    I am not a historian so I don't really know what I am talking about, but to play devil's advocate here, what if the end of slavery hastened the farm technology of which you speak? In other words since slavery was ended they had more incentive to produce more efficient ways of farming which mean inventing better technology.

"A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I am not a historian so I don't really know what I am talking about, but to play devil's advocate here, what if the end of slavery hastened the farm technology of which you speak? In other words since slavery was ended they had more incentive to produce more efficient ways of farming which mean inventing better technology.

slavery ended elsewhere. those implements were going to be developed for those countries. we would either be left behind in production or adapt the new technology.

Jefferson Davis knew that the days of slavery were quickly coming to an end.
    "Molon Labe"

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post

In a free market, incentive is profit -which means out producing your competitors. Innovation occurs to enhance productivity. Someone is always going to look for a way to improve production. For example: the cotton gin was created during slavery times, so this goes against your premise.

Eli Whitney's invention of the cotton gin revolutionized the cotton industry in the United States. Prior to his invention, farming cotton required hundreds of man-hours to separate the cottonseed from the raw cotton fibers. Simple seed-removing devices have been around for centuries, however, Eli Whitney's invention automated the seed separation process. His machine could generate up to fifty pounds of cleaned cotton daily, making cotton production profitable for the southern states.
    source: http://inventors.about.com/od/cstart...cotton_gin.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry
    Are we disposed to be of the number of those who, having eyes, see not, and, having ears, hear not, the things which so nearly concern their temporal salvation? For my part, whatever anguish of spirit it may cost, I am willing to know the whole truth; to know the worst, and to provide for it.
    Democracy or Republic, Which is it?

My first contribution to the campaign

The Best Ron Paul Poster EVER!!!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Erazmus View Post
    In a free market, incentive is profit -which means out producing your competitors. Innovation occurs to enhance productivity. Someone is always going to look for a way to improve production. For example: the cotton gin was created during slavery times, so this goes against your premise.
    That's what I thought. Thanks for making the point

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    Considering they were paying for northern merchantilists already through the transfer payment system of the trariff, you're probably right.... except, Brazil abolished slavery by doing precisely what is urged here, peacefully, without bloodshed.
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

so then you would only have to buy 4 slaves, not 100 slaves.

it doesn't end the economic advantage slave labor has over non coercive labor.

Quote Originally Posted by ARealConservative View Post

you don't have to pay for housing or food for regular labor.
    the pay they give mexicans now is comparable to what it would cost to house and feed slaves.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    slave labor wasn't free labor, it was cheap labor.

correct. not free, just cheaper.

a free man would always cost more then forced labor. Why would a free man hold out only for enough funds to live on the same level of luxury given to the slave?

Originally posted by Brian Defferding

The Northern Financial centres spun gold from the slave fields of the South.

By 186o New England was home to 473 cotton mills. If the South seceded, the cotton would go direct from New Orleans to Europe and those godly slave-ship builders and powerful textile manufacturers would miss out. On the cusp of the Civil war the 10 major cotton states were producing 66% of the world's cotton (half of the US exports.)

No war has ever been fought for altruistic reasons. You find the would-be altruism weaving their way throug the rhetoric like the master textile merchants they are.

I compare it to if you eat meat you need to face the full consequences of your action and be prepared to kill it yourself.
    If you are going to commit heinous acts, at least don't pretend you are not being heinous.

The increase in slavery in the South rose to meet the production in the North. Fantastic book to read is"

"How the North Promoted, Prolonged and Profited from Slavery: Complicity." Farrow, Lang and Frank. It be written by Northern folks.
    The world does not consist of a throng of geniuses. WilliamBanzai7

Like today with the Mexicans picking our peaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    Like today with the Mexicans picking our peaches.
    that is correct. same thing as a jamaican working for $20/week at a resort that charges $1000/night

economic advantage of slavery?
    would you please list these and how they are superior to a volunteer force working for equivalent pay?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by raiha View Post
    The Northern Financial centre,,,,
    Please modify you original post, those were NOT my words! It was a misquoting.

economic advantage of slavery?
    would you please list these and how they are superior to a volunteer force working for equivalent pay?
    a voluntary work force will require you to pay them enough to not live in a shanty with the other 3 slaves. They will require you to pay them enough to buy more food then the bare minimum required to survive. And they will require you to pay them a high enough wage to be able to not only meet this higher living conditions, but to save on top of it, to raise a family, etc, etc.

You have to compete for a voluntary work force. For slavery, you only have to complete with other people looking to buy slaves as a way to lower their labor costs.

pretty basic stuff

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    a voluntary work force will require you to pay them enough to not live in a shanty with the other 3 slaves. They will require you to pay them enough to buy more food then the bare minimum required to survive. And they will require you to pay them a high enough wage to be able to not only meet this higher living conditions, but to save on top of it, to raise a family, etc, etc.

You have to compete for a voluntary work force. For slavery, you only have to complete with other people looking to buy slaves as a way to lower their labor costs.

pretty basic stuff
    you have to buy the slave, you don't have to buy the volunteer.
    you have to house the slave. feed the slave, cloth the slave, medically treat the slave (or buy a replacement).
    You don't have that overhead with volunteers.
    pretty basic stuff.
    Last edited by torchbearer; 04-01-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Lysander Spooner: Civil War was a worse crime than slavery
    Unless I missed it, I don't think Spooner was suggesting this point at all. Maybe you should edit this.

you have to buy the slave, you don't have to by the volunteer.
    Not necessarily. You have to hold a person against their will and force them to work against their will.

you have to house the slave. feed the slave, cloth the slave, medically treat the slave (or buy a replacement).
    people that work do so to meet the same basic needs, but they also will require enough money to live better then a slave is allowed.

Your refusal to accept this simple statement reflects poorly on you.

It isn't slavery if the person doing the work is happy with the exchange he is given for his labor

basic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by silus View Post
    Unless I missed it, I don't think Spooner was suggesting this point at all. Maybe you should edit this.
    it's in the link provided.

Civil War was horrible. But abducting individuals from their homeland, throwing them at the bottom of ships and chaining them up, forcing them into a life of servitude, raping their women, destroying their families, treats human beings like cattle, whipping, hanging, burning, and beating the $#@! out of individuals because you feel they arent human. Totally destroying any sense of history within a culture? All for 200 years??!

Ehh, slavery was pretty $#@!ing bad IMO.

Come over here and be my slave for a year and see how you feel about that statement.

$#@!in idiot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast