Thread: For small business owners I have a question

For small business owners I have a question

if your company size is less then 50 but has at least a 1 full time employee other then your family members

Are you going to switch all full time employees to part time? and for those who refuse going to fire them?

Or really give your full time employees health care?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by psi2941 View Post
    if your company size is less then 50 but has at least a 1 full time employee other then your family members

Are you going to switch all full time employees to part time? and for those who refuse going to fire them?

I'd do what Wal-Mart does, whatever benefits my company.

If it saves me money to hire a person part time, or independent 1099, I'll do it.

If they refuse, I'll see if they're replaceable. I don't hire or pay somebody because they need money, I keep them because I need them to make money for myself.

This is NOT to say, there isn't benefit for paying certain people more, based on either experience, personal relationships, or contributing to a healthy society, NOT all rewards are monetary, thus it's important to think these things through to find the best solution.

I believe most people understand that being employed is a mighty privilege today.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltM View Post

I believe most people understand that being employed is a mighty privilege today.
    I don't really get this impression, except when confronted with the actual scenario of losing a job.

My 2mil revenue business has around 100k-200k of profit during really good years and just asset and overhead control during these times. We have about 15 out of about 30 full time people on health insurance. Not really sure about thr ramifications of the health bill yet, but adding all of my full timers to the plan we currently carry would drop us into the red now and barely making a profit on a good year. As said above, we will have to find ways to remain profitable despite increased taxes and regulations.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesButabi View Post
    I don't really get this impression, except when confronted with the actual scenario of losing a job.
    What's to not get when you lose a job?

My 2mil revenue business has around 100k-200k of profit during really good years and just asset and overhead control during these times. We have about 15 out of about 30 full time people on health insurance. Not really sure about thr ramifications of the health bill yet, but adding all of my full timers to the plan we currently carry would drop us into the red now and barely making a profit on a good year. As said above, we will have to find ways to remain profitable despite increased taxes and regulations.
    yes, which is what I said, do whatever you need to do to keep your head above water, you can sink a ship just because you want to save people, nor can you work to pay the government if that's all you do.

What's to not get when you lose a job?
    No I mean I get the impression that alot of people aren't all that grateful to have work until confronted with losing it and having to find something else.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltM
    yes, which is what I said, do whatever you need to do to keep your head above water, you can sink a ship just because you want to save people, nor can you work to pay the government if that's all you do.
    Its nice to hear Peter Schiff lay this out in his RTC meetings. Its tough to get people to think beyond the immediate these days with all the pro government propoganda they are fed.

No I mean I get the impression that alot of people aren't all that grateful to have work until confronted with losing it and having to find something else.

Its nice to hear Peter Schiff lay this out in his RTC meetings. Its tough to get people to think beyond the immediate these days with all the pro government propoganda they are fed.
    fair enough, thanks!

James how do you pull that off?

I am pretty sure that even under pre-Obamacare laws if a business offers health insurance to one person, it has to offer it to all?

I have 24 full time employees, and I can't drop them under full time. I will either have to offer them health insurance or I will accept to pay the fee if it is cheaper, which I think it will be.

The fee is $695 per employee per year. That is only $16680 per year, or $58/month per employee. I know I can't insure people for that.

Also if my company gets bigger than 50 what is the fee? Isn't it like $3,000/year for each employee over 30. That is still only $60,000/year or $100 an employee per month.

But if I do have to pay the fees and/or insure, my pay structure will be re-evaluated to make up that money. Whether it is through restructuring pay to be lower, or when the time comes for raises, I will just tell my guys to call their congressman because I have to pay their raise to the IRS in the form of a fee.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dustancostine View Post

I am pretty sure that even under pre-Obamacare laws if a business offers health insurance to one person, it has to offer it to all?
    Offer, yes. Actually provide was optional. Now it isn't.

I have one full time employee, and one guy who sometimes works a full 40hr week and sometimes doesn't depending on how busy we are.

None of us have healthcare at the moment. I don't have a large enough business to get anywhere near reasonable insurance from any carriers, so it looks like the public option for us.
    CPT Jack. R. T.
    US Army Resigned - Iraq Vet.
    Level III MACP instructor, USYKA/WYKKO sensei
    Professional Hunter/Trapper/Country living survivalist.

We do offer it to all, but we make sure employees realize the costs to the company, and let them choose whether or not they would like to have the plan as part of their incentive package. Many of them would rather have money or other perks.

I have 24 full time employees, and I can't drop them under full time.
    Why not? too hard to replace?

I will either have to offer them health insurance or I will accept to pay the fee if it is cheaper, which I think it will be.
    What fee? Fine?

The fee is $695 per employee per year. That is only $16680 per year, or $58/month per employee. I know I can't insure people for that.

Also if my company gets bigger than 50 what is the fee? Isn't it like $3,000/year for each employee over 30. That is still only $60,000/year or $100 an employee per month.
    If that's the case I'd just give them a pay cut to compensate for it.

But if I do have to pay the fees and/or insure, my pay structure will be re-evaluated to make up that money. Whether it is through restructuring pay to be lower, or when the time comes for raises, I will just tell my guys to call their congressman because I have to pay their raise to the IRS in the form of a fee.
    yep. smart people know how to outsmart the system, the little guy seems to think regulations will hurt (they will for short term, but ultimately, hurt them too)

I have 24 full time employees, and I can't drop them under full time. I will either have to offer them health insurance or I will accept to pay the fee if it is cheaper, which I think it will be.

so my question is this, would u rather tell your full time employees to become part time workers or get fired or do you rather pay the fine? because u don't have to provide part time workers obama care

Why not? too hard to replace?

No because my business is retail. I have cell phone accessory kiosk in malls spread out over the country. I have 21 locations spread out from Los Angeles to Texas to North Dakota. I have one full time employee at each location that pretty much runs the business there, so I cannot drop them to part time, I would have no one responsible for the locations.

so my question is this, would u rather tell your full time employees to become part time workers or get fired or do you rather pay the fine? because u don't have to provide part time workers obama care
    I would do whatever works best for your business.

I for instance can't drop my full timers to part time based on the nature of my business.

The first question you have to answer is can your business continue to perform at a level acceptable to you and grow if you so desire with just part time employees, or a minimum number of full time employees. If the answer to that question is yes, then do so.

If you cannot, such as I cannot. Then you have to find out what is cheaper. Getting insurance or paying the fine. If the fine is cheaper then of course pay that and go on. If healthcare is some how magically cheaper then go that route. Either way make sure you make up the cost other places. Reducing/freezing wages, increasing prices you charge for goods and services.

My dad owns and ice cream shop. He mostly hires college and high school students part time and he has one person who makes the ice cream, but i can tell you that he wouldn't allow her to go full time if he had to pay for health insurance for her. You have to sell a lot of $3 ice cream cones to compensate for that.
    No more IRS.
    I am now old enough to vote.