Thread: Fed Reserve interest rates vs. Canadian Central Bank rates?

Fed Reserve interest rates vs. Canadian Central Bank rates?

I was recently talking to a Canadian who was of course boasting about how they have tighter regulation, more social services, but no crash or 10% unemployment. I'm trying to pinpoint why this would occur and I've come to a few theories, some being that because Canada has more social services it can pick up the slack in unemployment, but I've also been curious about the Canadian Central Bank and their role in the economy. Have they been as loose in credit as ours has? I can't find any stats on it to compare. I'm probably missing a few key things but something tells me that their situation isn't as simple as "bigger government = better economy".

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Defining Obscene View Post
    I was recently talking to a Canadian who was of course boasting about how they have tighter regulation, more social services, but no crash or 10% unemployment. I'm trying to pinpoint why this would occur and I've come to a few theories, some being that because Canada has more social services it can pick up the slack in unemployment, but I've also been curious about the Canadian Central Bank and their role in the economy. Have they been as loose in credit as ours has? I can't find any stats on it to compare. I'm probably missing a few key things but something tells me that their situation isn't as simple as "bigger government = better economy".
    I have businesses in Canada (in Manitoba and Saskatchewan) and they are booming. But they are doing well for the same reason that Texas all the way up to North Dakota and Montana are doing well:

Agriculture and Minerals. Mining is huge there and they also have a lot of natural gas and oil.