Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can we have fire protection and other services without taxes?

Question How can we have fire protection and other services without taxes?

How can we have fire protection and other services without taxes?

QUESTION: If there were no taxes, how would we pay for hospitals, military defense and rescue workers? It would stink if a privatized fire fighter let your house burn because you didn't pay for them. And what if a small town had only one station, and it begins over-pricing because they're the only one in town?

MY SHORT ANSWER: Actually, many small towns today, including my own, utilize private fire fighters who are primarily volunteers. Each year, a community-support organization collects donations from bake sales, garage sales, barbeques and other fund-raising events to pay for their equipment. Almost everyone contributes as a customer, donor, volunteer, or organizer. Smaller communities would probably continue to utilize such strategies in a libertarian society.

In larger communities, homeowners could subscribe to one of multiple fire-fighting services. Mortgage companies and insurers would likely require such a subscription as part of their contract, as many do today. Thus, most people would carry such subscriptions, which would probably be about half of what we pay in taxes today.

Someone without a subscription could still call a fire-fighting service and get immediate service; they would simply pay more than a person with a subscription. In some cases, a service might put out a fire gratis simply as good-will advertising to other neighbors, who might decide to switch their subscription to a group they've seen in action.

You can find more examples of how fire protection and other important services would be paid for in a libertarian society in my short articles here and here.

I go into more detail in my book "Healing Our World," available from the Advocates [latest 2003 edition] or as a free download [older 1992 edition] at my website.

LEARN MORE (suggested reading from the Liberator Online editor):

"About 90 percent of all fire departments in the United States are composed either entirely or mostly of volunteers. These departments protect 42 percent of the population."

So says "Fire Protection Privatization: A Cost-Effective Approach to Public Safety," a 1992 study from the Reason Foundation, a think tank specializing in privatization. Though a bit dated, it provides useful background and real-world examples of how fire protection services can be handled by the private sector.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    design & build houses that will not burn...free market, that's me!

I've lived in towns with private fire stations. I currently have private garbage service and private water and electric.

People's heads explode when they hear someone advocate private fire stations and garbage service. It is unimaginable to them.

I would like to hear any cases of private police.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Elwar View Post
    People's heads explode when they hear someone advocate private fire stations and garbage service. It is unimaginable to them.
    http://www.politicalforum.com/politi...out-taxes.html

The next time the military wants a hundred new state of the art fighter jets, tell them to hold a bake sale. See how well that goes over with them.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    The next time the military wants a hundred new state of the art fighter jets, tell them to hold a bake sale. See how well that goes over with them.

heh...

It may work for Mayberry but not for larger areas or for other institutions.
    I lived in Columbia County Georgia where there was probably a population of a couple hundred thousand people and we had a private fire department.

When I moved into my home I got a letter from the fire department. They offered me fire service for $20 a month. Or, if I didn't pay for the service, I would be charged $2,000 if the fire department had to come out and put out my fire. A few hundred dollars for other minor services such as putting out small kitchen fires and the like.

I opted against the $20 a month, figuring it was unlikely that my home would catch fire and $2,000 wasn't a bad price.
    Definition of political insanity: Voting for the same people expecting different results.

heh...

I lived in Columbia County Georgia where there was probably a population of a couple hundred thousand people and we had a private fire department.

When I moved into my home I got a letter from the fire department. They offered me fire service for $20 a month. Or, if I didn't pay for the service, I would be charged $2,000 if the fire department had to come out and put out my fire. A few hundred dollars for other minor services such as putting out small kitchen fires and the like.

I opted against the $20 a month, figuring it was unlikely that my home would catch fire and $2,000 wasn't a bad price.
    Post that @ the other forum if you want, or I can post it for ya.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Taxes serve no purpose other than to force someone to pay for something they don't need so that someone else can benefit from something without having to pay for it themselves.

To tax should be treated as a synonym for to steal.

I guess I could see the police force privatized on a contractual basis. Perhaps several police force companies bid for a 5 year contract. You still have to pay for it through taxes, but through competition you probably get better service.

I could never really figure out how a private police force could be paid privately though...criminals don't tend to be in much of a place to pay for the service of being arrested. And the private court system would have to be a seperate entity from the police force or they'd just arrest people randomly just to get more money.

Quote Originally Posted by Reason View Post
    Post that @ the other forum if you want, or I can post it for ya.
    You can go ahead...I'm on enough forums.

I guess I could see the police force privatized on a contractual basis. Perhaps several police force companies bid for a 5 year contract. You still have to pay for it through taxes, but through competition you probably get better service.

I could never really figure out how a private police force could be paid privately though...criminals don't tend to be in much of a place to pay for the service of being arrested. And the private court system would have to be a seperate entity from the police force or they'd just arrest people randomly just to get more money.
    Well you could lease out criminals and use that to pay for the costs of arresting them and imprisoning them.

heh...

It seems to me that you should be able to bill the $2000 to the insurance company.

I think pay for response makes the most since.

Like Elwar, where I live, I have private trash pickup, private water, private septic, volunteer fire and ambulance service.

Years ago, you paid into a private fund for yearly fire "insurance".

You displayed a copper or brass placard on your home or business similar to this:

If you didn't have it, firemen would protect other dwellings or buildings but leave yours to burn.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-25-2010 at 01:58 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Like Elwar, where I live, I have private trash pickup, private water, private septic, volunteer fire and ambulance service.
    Oh ya...Ambulance service was private too...you paid for the ride as part of your medical bill.

We have volunteers firefighters.

You can haul your own trash to the dump.

At one time American Soldiers were trained to fight Communist.
    Now they take orders from them.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On a side note

Fire Protection?

That is another of those phrases that makes little logical sense and is entirely misleading.

Yes, I was a volunteer Fireman once.
    We did not prevent nor protect against fire.
    We showed up after a fire was well underway and attempted to put it out.
    Generally all we could do was contain it.

The only fire protection that any possesses is located between their ears.

/rant off

carry on.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Years ago, you paid into a private fund for yearly fire "insurance".

You displayed a copper or brass placard on your home or business similar to this:

If you didn't have it, firemen would protect other dwellings or buildings but leave yours to burn.
    What area do you live in? I'm curious because I have only lived in government-utility-nightmare hell and would like a break from it.
    Brian Defferding
    Freelance Illustrator
    My Portfolio | www.deftoons.com | Follow Me On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    On a side note

Fire Protection?

That is another of those phrases that makes little logical sense and is entirely misleading.

Yes, I was a volunteer Fireman once.
    We did not prevent nor protect against fire.
    We showed up after a fire was well underway and attempted to put it out.
    Generally all we could do was contain it.

The only fire protection that any possesses is located between their ears.

/rant off

carry on.
    in fairness, fires can spread. especially in cities where housing is closest.
    fire fighters prevent the original fire from claiming other people's property.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by torchbearer View Post
    in fairness, fires can spread. especially in cities where housing is closest.
    fire fighters prevent the original fire from claiming other people's property.
    True, containment was all we could do. Keep it from spreading.
    That was also the main reason for all the metal roofs you see in Key West.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    What area do you live in? I'm curious because I have only lived in government-utility-nightmare hell and would like a break from it.
    Fairly rural NH.

And the one "service" that is usually nominally private in other places, electric service, is, in my town, run by the town citizens as non profit co-op type of operation.

Result, some of the cheapest electric rates I've ever paid.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 03-25-2010 at 02:26 PM.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

we use mostly volunteer fire firefighters in louisiana.
    we have full-timers, but we have more volunteers than any other.

to pay for those services, the fire department could charge for their services- which should be covered by any fire insurance or the owner.
    rewritten history with armies of their crooks - invented memories, did burn all the books... Mark Knopfler

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Defferding View Post
    Even better...run for city council on the plank of privatizing services.

I've lived in towns with private fire stations. I currently have private garbage service and private water and electric.

I would like to hear any cases of private police.
    I mean, this kinda stuff is obviously on the bottom of the totem pole as far as issues in this country, but I totally agree with the idea of private fire stations and trash collection. However, I seriously question the idea of private police. In theory, a policeman's motivation is to uphold the law, not make money. If there was a private police force, the company's motivation would be monetary compensation; and I fear they may abuse whatever power they have in order to increase arrests / increase income.

I mean, it's similar to police quotas (which we all hate) but these police wouldn't meet quotas due to pressure from managers, but rather they would arrest excessively because it would benefit them.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Even better...run for city council on the plank of privatizing services.
    that's my plans. i've been talking about waste management with a lot of attorneys in town. they like my ideas. in fact, it has been attempted before, and the private waste management company we already have in this area would do the job cheaper than the city. right now, you have to still pay the public fee, even if you get the private provider.

I could see how that could be an improvement, if it were done right.

I could never really figure out how a private police force could be paid privately though...criminals don't tend to be in much of a place to pay for the service of being arrested.
    I think people could subscribe to it, the same way you subscribe to garbage pickup.

And the private court system would have to be a seperate entity from the police force or they'd just arrest people randomly just to get more money.
    I agree, they should be independent. They could be hired as designated arbiters between individuals and businesses, for any particular contract, and between police forces, to settle conflicts.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStanart View Post
    I mean, this kinda stuff is obviously on the bottom of the totem pole as far as issues in this country, but I totally agree with the idea of private fire stations and trash collection. However, I seriously question the idea of private police. In theory, a policeman's motivation is to uphold the law, not make money. If there was a private police force, the company's motivation would be monetary compensation; and I fear they may abuse whatever power they have in order to increase arrests / increase income.

I mean, it's similar to police quotas (which we all hate) but these police wouldn't meet quotas due to pressure from managers, but rather they would arrest excessively because it would benefit them.
    Right, but they could be paid as a subscribed service, rather than per arrest. That would make them motivated to provide the best protection possible, without opening themselves up to liability, or arresting people needlessly.
    “If you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive.” -CS Lewis

The use of force to impose morality is itself immoral, and generosity with others' money is still theft.

If our society were a forum, congress would be the illiterate troll that somehow got a hold of the only ban hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStanart View Post

I agree on the police front. I am a minarchist Libertarian, and that's the part where I believe taxes collected into an impartial system is necessary. But that's about as far as I go. Maybe roads too.
    Brian Defferding
    Freelance Illustrator

Fairly rural NH.

And the one "service" that is usually nominally private in other places, electric service, is, in my town, run by the town citizens as non profit co-op type of operation.

Result, some of the cheapest electric rates I've ever paid.
    Damn, that would be nice if we had stuff like that here. My electricity is for-profit and privately provided but it's regulated like in other states. Trash removal is a city government service, as is fire department services.
    Brian Defferding
    Freelance Illustrator

Through voluntary payments for services or voluntary charity for those who can't afford it.

Pretty simple if you ask me. No need for theft.
    Voluntary. Voluntary. Voluntary. Voluntary. Voluntary. Voluntary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast