Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 37

Thread: Issues With Forum Warnings

  1. #1

    Issues With Forum Warnings

    It seems to be just fine for people to belittle others with derogatory terminology such as "truther", "pothead" and similar labels, wrought in the fundamental bowels of the uninformed. No problem right? These folks can just endlessly insult and couch euphemisms in a manner that many, many, many would find insulting. They demand that individual behaviours be modified according to their Borg groupthink. However..if I smack them for their insults, which they hurled first in general aspersions and broad brushstrokes insulting a broad swath of folks, then I get a warning from foo fighter..whose moderation was never fair and rather than fight with this ..ahem..moderator I left the board.. Apparently people can dish out flames if it suits his cultural sensibilities but when some control freak or uniform brigade or stereotyper opens their fat yap casting general aspersions it is fine and dandy with him. Answer said control freak or borg minion in kind is not allowed..hence the trashmouthing goes on and on.

    This sucks.. I am gonna quit this forum if this happens one more time.

    FooFighter..take off yer rose colored galsses. Move this to the hot topics or general poliitics and I will repost a further rant to this page. Let it drift down and out of sight naturally. This is a pertinent beef to this forum considering the number of young folks coming here who are voters and both truthers and pot smokers..and alot of other things besides..for the jerks out there who like to define people with a one word derogatory stereotype. How would you like us to tell you to take your pharmaceutical chewing, dockers wearing, conformity inculcated, Glen Beck listening ass and shuffle off??


    Randy



  2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  3. #2
    Phase I: Ron Paul

    Phase II: New Investigations

  4. #3
    is foo at it again?

    i swear, bradley leaves for ... what a week?

    and foo goes ape-poo???

    come on foo, say it ain't so.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

  5. #4
    I told you all before: I only chase down threads about which I get complaints.

    Stop setting people off enough for them to hit the report button and you won't have a problem with me.


    I'm not some cop on patrol. More like an EMT. I hang out at the "forums post hospital" and respond to calls. I don't go out looking for perps.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

  6. #5
    Also... Rather interesting how he claims I gave him a warning when in fact I PM'd him asking him politely to stop.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

  7. #6
    Staff - Admin
    Houston, TX
    Bryan's Avatar


    Blog Entries
    6
    Posts
    8,406
    Join Date
    May 2007
    There is no uniform way to ID if a label assigned to someone is offensive or not so moderation can not be perfect. Some labels are obvious negative some are not. If anyone here gets a potentially derogatory label attached to them that they object with report the post with this:

    As a general rule of thumb one should avoid assigning a label to someone that they don't already assign to themselves. Applying labels to others typically dilutes dialog as you're trying to put someone into a group that typically implies things that are not true about the perfect.
    This site has a specific purpose defined in our Mission Statement.

    Members must read and follow our Community Guidelines.

    I strive to respond to all queries; please excuse late and out-of-sequence responses.

  8. #7
    I think Foo is doing a great job.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post

    This sucks.. I am gonna quit this forum if this happens one more time.


    We might as well wish you goodbye right now if that's the case.

    People are people.



  10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  11. #9
    This website is an in-house forum for Ron Paul supporters. The real world is where the election will be won, not here. But we can use this forum as a tool to help the real-world efforts. One of the best ways to make this site get maximum payoff is to use it as a place to criticize the people that are harming the campaign from the inside, like a certain segment of the truther movement who can't seem to attend Ron Paul events without seeing them as venues to express their wacky theories (wacky here is a euphemism for idiotic). The potheads are less harmful, but only because they're too unmotivated to make a difference--but if they did make a difference you can be sure it would be for the worse not the better. We need to have interventions that will make some of those folks feel uncomfortable. If the attention causes some of the more outspoken bad seeds to shrivel up and go away, or even just to tone it down a bit, then that's a success for the campaign.
    Last edited by erowe1; 10-09-2007 at 10:03 AM.

  12. #10
    Flag war declared!
    My review of the For Liberty documentary:
    digg.com/d315eji
    (please Digg and post comments on the HuffPost site)

    "This political train-wreck Republicans face can largely be traced to Bush’s philosophical metamorphosis from a traditional, non-interventionist conservative to the neoconservatives’ exemplar of a 'War President', and his positioning of the Republicans as the 'War Party'."

    Nicholas Sanchez on Bush's legacy, September 30, 2007.

  13. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    Flag war declared!
    NO! Dear god no.
    Come see my website
    www.tingomedia.com

  14. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by cujothekitten View Post
    NO! Dear god no.

  15. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley in DC View Post
    Flag war declared!
    Don't make Bryan or Josh give you back mod privileges just so your inbox gets spammed too.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

  16. #14
    There is absolutely no need for negativity on this forum. We all support Ron Paul, right? Well, then just worry about supporting Ron Paul and not what others are saying or doing. There is no need and value in stirring up trouble. We all have the same motives, right??? or not????

  17. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter20x View Post
    I told you all before: I only chase down threads about which I get complaints.

    Stop setting people off enough for them to hit the report button and you won't have a problem with me.


    I'm not some cop on patrol. More like an EMT. I hang out at the "forums post hospital" and respond to calls. I don't go out looking for perps.
    moderator raider.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!

  18. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by cujothekitten View Post
    NO! Dear god no.
    moderator raider.
    Dude, I'm rich! Check out this tin can! Uber wealth, ftw!



  19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  20. #17
    As someone who considers himself a truther (in all honesty I think there are a lot of unanswered questions both for and against the truther position) I have never been offended with the term truther, and it bothers me not at all if someone else thinks I am nuts for believing what I do.

    I essentially feel that healthy skepticism regarding both government versions of events AND conspiracy theories is a very good idea.

    As far as "trutherism" relates to these forum, I think it should not be attached in any way to Ron Paul, as he has made it clear that he doesn't subscribe to truthers beliefs, although he has said he feels government does cover things up all the time to cover their own screw-ups.

    Or am I OT?

  21. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    This website is an in-house forum for Ron Paul supporters. The real world is where the election will be won, not here. But we can use this forum as a tool to help the real-world efforts. One of the best ways to make this site get maximum payoff is to use it as a place to criticize the people that are harming the campaign from the inside, like a certain segment of the truther movement who can't seem to attend Ron Paul events without seeing them as venues to express their wacky theories (wacky here is a euphemism for idiotic). The potheads are less harmful, but only because they're too unmotivated to make a difference--but if they did make a difference you can be sure it would be for the worse not the better. We need to have interventions that will make some of those folks feel uncomfortable. If the attention causes some of the more outspoken bad seeds to shrivel up and go away, or even just to tone it down a bit, then that's a success for the campaign.
    12 states have legalized medical marijuana so far. I'm guessing "potheads" contributed to that movement a good bit. I wouldn't discount there motivation or contribution.

    Truthers on the other hand bug me. I believe 9/11 was probably a conspiracy but I know enough about politics to keep my mouth shut for the time being.

  22. #19

  23. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Original_Intent View Post
    Or am I OT?
    Off topic.

    What was at issue was that Randy called someone names and they reported it. I sent him a PM and asked him politely not to start with that again.

    Randy reacted with this thread.
    "None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe that they are free." -Göthe
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
    "Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure." - Robert LeFevre

  24. #21
    I'm a truther, and proud of it - The 'Official Report' of 9/11 stinks to high heaven but I am willing to remain somewhat 'low key' about it.

    What we really need here is some form of 'Troll Control,' because it's intent is to take true supporters off their game.

  25. #22
    And calling "Troll!" first is NOT the key to being troll control, the main thing is simply DONT give the troll their troll food and they will go away due to lack of interest.

    Quote Originally Posted by ButchHowdy View Post
    I'm a truther, and proud of it - The 'Official Report' of 9/11 stinks to high heaven but I am willing to remain somewhat 'low key' about it.

    What we really need here is some form of 'Troll Control,' because it's intent is to take true supporters off their game.
    No one reads signatures.

  26. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by steph3n View Post
    And calling "Troll!" first is NOT the key to being troll control, the main thing is simply DONT give the troll their troll food and they will go away due to lack of interest.
    Agreed, I'm thinking code words like: Titanic, Threadsink, Giulianus, etc. What suggest you?

  27. #24
    Trolls starve and die if you simply quit feeding them



  28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
  29. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by LibertyEagle View Post
    I think Foo is doing a great job.
    NO! We've dug a hole for ourselves and we've dug a hole for our forum! We're losing supporters and we're doing down next year if we don't change it and it has all to do with forum policy and we have to wake up to this fact! The only thing worse than one Ron Paul supporter leaving in vain IS MORE RON PAUL SUPPORTERS LEAVING IN VAIN!!!!!
    "Instead of the “end of history,” we are now experiencing the end of a vocal limited-government movement in our nation’s capital. While most conservatives no longer defend balanced budgets and reduced spending, most liberals have grown lazy in defending civil liberties and now are approving wars that we initiate. The so-called “third way” has arrived and, sadly, it has taken the worst of what the conservatives and liberals have to offer." -Ron Paul

  30. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul Fan View Post
    NO! We've dug a hole for ourselves and we've dug a hole for our forum! We're losing supporters and we're doing down next year if we don't change it and it has all to do with forum policy and we have to wake up to this fact! The only thing worse than one Ron Paul supporter leaving in vain IS MORE RON PAUL SUPPORTERS LEAVING IN VAIN!!!!!
    Somebody leaving this forum is not going to hurt the Paul campaign. But it just might help if that person was somebody more prone to do harm than good.

  31. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul Fan View Post
    NO! We've dug a hole for ourselves and we've dug a hole for our forum! We're losing supporters and we're doing down next year if we don't change it and it has all to do with forum policy and we have to wake up to this fact! The only thing worse than one Ron Paul supporter leaving in vain IS MORE RON PAUL SUPPORTERS LEAVING IN VAIN!!!!!
    Rev is a good guy and has worked his backside off in promoting Ron Paul. He has an "in" to a whole different group of people that I couldn't even begin to reach. Not to mention the fact that he is a real artist. I respect him greatly. I really hope he doesn't leave the forum.

    But, don't you think we all really need to back away from the name calling? Heck, I've been guilty of it too, I'm sure. If for no other reason than it is rude. In addition, some are promoting this web site on grassroots campaign literature, so we have a bunch of people lurking and others who are new who just want to find out a little more about Ron Paul. Maybe we all should remember that and do our best to try to conduct ourselves in a manner that will reflect well on Dr. Paul.

    It's just my opinion though.
    Last edited by LibertyEagle; 10-09-2007 at 11:17 AM.

  32. #28
    Group HUG as i force xanax on everyone

  33. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by erowe1 View Post
    This website is an in-house forum for Ron Paul supporters. The real world is where the election will be won, not here. But we can use this forum as a tool to help the real-world efforts. One of the best ways to make this site get maximum payoff is to use it as a place to criticize the people that are harming the campaign from the inside, like a certain segment of the truther movement who can't seem to attend Ron Paul events without seeing them as venues to express their wacky theories (wacky here is a euphemism for idiotic). The potheads are less harmful, but only because they're too unmotivated to make a difference--but if they did make a difference you can be sure it would be for the worse not the better. We need to have interventions that will make some of those folks feel uncomfortable. If the attention causes some of the more outspoken bad seeds to shrivel up and go away, or even just to tone it down a bit, then that's a success for the campaign.
    Yeah.. Well a certain section of the anti-truther people are causing alot of problems with their fat yaps going off all the time. blah blah blah.. Stuffily dressed people turn off a good segment of the non-neoconservative youth vote..blah blah blah..

    get the picture yet.. I am gonna get thousands to hear about RP this weekend. Most of them are the types I see derogatory remarks thrown at daily.


    Randy

  34. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Revolution9 View Post
    Yeah.. Well a certain section of the anti-truther people are causing alot of problems with their fat yaps going off all the time. blah blah blah.. Stuffily dressed people turn off a good segment of the non-neoconservative youth vote..blah blah blah..

    get the picture yet.. I am gonna get thousands to hear about RP this weekend. Most of them are the types I see derogatory remarks thrown at daily.


    Randy

    Revolution9, IF YOU LEAVE THIS FORUM, I WILL KICK YOUR ASS!!!
    Last edited by Lord Xar; 10-09-2007 at 01:07 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2011, 05:06 PM
  2. Doesn't seem like many go to the Issues forum anymore, so here:
    By beardedlinen in forum Ron Paul Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 05:56 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 06:22 PM
  4. We need an offtopic forum...and other issues...
    By Perry in forum Grassroots Central
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 12:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •