Thread: What's the best method when looking for jobs online?

What's the best method when looking for jobs online?

So, I'm unemployed. $#@!.

I've been searching for a new job for the past month and haven't had any luck. I've signed up for a few agencies and visit the big job boards like monster, yahoo, careerbuilder, and the like. Still no luck.

I need the upper edge on the other candidates applying for the same position because I graduated college in June 08 and haven't gained any experience in my field. I worked in HR and accounting until my organization got downsized. So I kinda $#@!ed up not looking for a job in my field once I graduated. Are there better/less-obvious ways to look for jobs online that most other people don't know about? I feel like the jobs I'm applying for are already flooded with fresher/newer potential candidates which leaves me in the dust.

I'm also not very experienced writing cover letters. I googled it and all the samples I got were the same boring/standard writing procedures. Anyone have samples or guides I can follow?

Here are my stats:
    • BS in Biochemistry
    • Have the education to work in either field, chemistry or biology.
    • Have plenty of academic lab experience, just not professional experience.
    • Would probably be best suited to an entry-level position that doesn't pay much at first -- need to get foot in door.
    • Live in the Chicagoland area.
    • Am willing to take position in any of the following and more: lab technician, quality control chemist, chemical manufacturing, research assistant, food safety/testing. etc.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Note: I know the economy is in a slump right now. I'm not trying to think about that. Let's keep it optimistic.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Since you don't think you have much experience, dissect the experience you have. What did you actually DO? Were you in charge of anything or anyone? Was there an increasing level of responsibility?

Cover letters are tricky, but I'll post mine (edited) from home once I get there if you'd like. I find them obnoxious to write, too.

I don't like going directly to Monster, etc., and prefer Indeed.com, which has a better search feature and guides you to the right kinds of jobs at a lot of other big job sites. In other words, it's like taking all those big sites, shaking up all the jobs, and then letting you search by keyword. It saves a bit of time, imo.

Once you do see a job you know you can do, go to that company's website in addition to just applying on the job site. See what other positions they have. Learn about the company. Inject a little compatibility into your resume and cover letter. Use the page wisely and make sure you don't have any crazy mistakes, or overuse/repeat words.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Kaplan usually needs teacher/tutors to teach SATs and GREs. If you are good academically and wouldn't mind a job out of your field, you might want to consider that.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Since you don't think you have much experience, dissect the experience you have. What did you actually DO? Were you in charge of anything or anyone? Was there an increasing level of responsibility?

Cover letters are tricky, but I'll post mine (edited) from home once I get there if you'd like. I find them obnoxious to write, too.

I don't like going directly to Monster, etc., and prefer Indeed.com, which has a better search feature and guides you to the right kinds of jobs at a lot of other big job sites. In other words, it's like taking all those big sites, shaking up all the jobs, and then letting you search by keyword. It saves a bit of time, imo.

Once you do see a job you know you can do, go to that company's website in addition to just applying on the job site. See what other positions they have. Learn about the company. Inject a little compatibility into your resume and cover letter. Use the page wisely and make sure you don't have any crazy mistakes, or overuse/repeat words.
    Damn, I already use indeed.com.

I'm thinking about picking up an old fashioned employment newpaper at one of the stands they usually have downtown in Chicago. Do people have luck with these or are they flooded with candidates as well? In any case, I'll probably pick one up today since it couldn't hurt, and the best case scenario is that people in my field aren't going to search for jobs using low-tech methods.

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Kaplan usually needs teacher/tutors to teach SATs and GREs. If you are good academically and wouldn't mind a job out of your field, you might want to consider that.
    I'll consider it.

However, since I do have a science degree in an ever-advancing field of techniques and equipment, I want to give my all in finding a job in chemistry before becoming reduced to obsolescence.

Network. Is Joe Whats-His-Name still the State Coordinator for the IL-CFL? IIRC, (not 100% sure though) he's in a field closely related to what you want to find.

Call him up, remind him you worked together during the primaries, and ask for some professional advice.
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Network. Is Joe Whats-His-Name still the State Coordinator for the IL-CFL? IIRC, (not 100% sure though) he's in a field closely related to what you want to find.

Call him up, remind him you worked together during the primaries, and ask for some professional advice.
    I would be lying if I say I worked during the primaries. I do have some apprehensions about calling up people I don't know, maybe I'll send him an email.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfTaught View Post
    I would be lying if I say I worked during the primaries. I do have some apprehensions about calling up people I don't know, maybe I'll send him an email.
    Go with your gut. You've got nothing to lose!
    * Enforce Border Security – America should be guarding her own borders and enforcing her own laws instead of policing the world and implementing UN mandates.

* No Amnesty - The Obama Administration’s endorsement of so-called “Comprehensive Immigration Reform,” granting amnesty to millions of illegal immigrants, will only encourage more law-breaking.

* Abolish the Welfare State – Taxpayers cannot continue to pay the high costs to sustain this powerful incentive for illegal immigration. As Milton Friedman famously said, you can’t have open borders and a welfare state.

* End Birthright Citizenship – As long as illegal immigrants know their children born here will be granted U.S. citizenship, we’ll never be able to control our immigration problem.

Reprinted from http://www.ronpaul2012.com/the-issues/immigration/ [Nov. 29, 2011]

Man....

Somebody just called me on my cell phone telling me they're from Yahoo Jobs and they wanted to meet with me to discuss possible positions. I applied for jobs through yahoo and thought that somebody called offering a real position. He set up a meeting and told me they wanted to interview.

Then, I asked for more information and he tells me that they are looking for people selling real estate and giving away free lamborginis. What? I asked him how he found me and he said his boss saw my resume and something "sparked his eye." Really? The jobs he described have scam written all over them.

$#@!. You try to put your resume online and people end up taking your information and try to dupe you into bull$#@!. I was actually led by this person for a minute. If he found my number through my resume, he also has my address. God dammit!

Man....

Somebody just called me on my cell phone telling me they're from Yahoo Jobs and they wanted to meet with me to discuss possible positions. I applied for jobs through yahoo and thought that somebody called offering a real position. He set up a meeting and told me they wanted to interview.

Then, I asked for more information and he tells me that they are looking for people selling real estate and giving away free lamborginis. What? I asked him how he found me and he said his boss saw my resume and something "sparked his eye." Really? The jobs he described have scam written all over them.

$#@!. You try to put your resume online and people end up taking your information and try to dupe you into bull$#@!. I was actually led by this person for a minute. If he found my number through my resume, he also has my address. God dammit!
    Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention... don't make your resume public on those websites There's a labor surplus/job shortage. Unless they're looking for something really niche, employers are not out there sifting through resumes like the one you seem to have (beginner level). It's a good way to waste time, and for that matter to spend money (gas money, etc.) on opportunities that are very unlikely to pan out.

Networking is good, but please consider what I said about going directly to the companies that interest you. Most of them do not list all of their openings on Monster and such, and are looking for similar people to fill similar positions a lot of the time. This means that if you saw (for example) a receptionist job, there might be data entry or administrative assistant positions not advertised, but open, with the same company. They filter off the people who seem like they might fit those other positions from the receptionist advertisement. This does happen, to some extent, with technical jobs, too ("We have another SysAdmin position open, working on another project, and it seems like a better fit with your resume.").

Anyhow...

{Name}
    {Address}
    {City, State Zip}

{Date}

To Whom It May Concern {Fill in with contact name if available}:

Although I have only officially been a proofreader for the past two years, my time in a variety of occupations has always depended greatly upon words.

As an insurance agent, reading contracts and accident information carefully was the only way to best represent both the client and the company. As an administrative assistant, the site manager depended upon me to ensure every detail was included in his letters, every “thank you” note was sent, every meeting was properly catered, and every expense report was thoroughly scrutinized. Being in charge of accounts payable meant that, if I missed a due date or failed to read the fine print, the phones might be shut off, or a courier company might no longer transport our products.

It is this attention to detail that makes me a perfect fit in the {general department you're applying for}. I am currently in the process of moving, and would like to begin proofreading and editing from home. Telecommuting will allow me to keep up with projects no matter where I am, and once I am employed I will be upgrading my home office equipment to my new employer’s specifications.

Part time, full time, anytime! I look forward to speaking with you and proving I am right for the job.

Sincerely,

{Name}
    {cell phone number}
    {email}
    email contact is preferred

I am available exclusively for telecommute opportunities.
    Full-time employment availability begins May 15, 2010.
    And no, that is not a perfect cover letter, but it has served me well these past few months and helped get my foot in the door to a later interview so I could book my clients.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Man....

Yeah... expect to get a lot of unsolicited crap. If someone sends you a check as advanced payment, don't cash it! These checks sometimes arrive through DHL.

They'll call you to try to convince you to cash the checks. At least they did these kind of thing about a year ago. They are mostly from Nigeria.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put your address. The criminals will look up your home phone number and call you.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    Oh, yeah... I forgot to mention... don't make your resume public on those websites There's a labor surplus/job shortage. Unless they're looking for something really niche, employers are not out there sifting through resumes like the one you seem to have (beginner level). It's a good way to waste time, and for that matter to spend money (gas money, etc.) on opportunities that are very unlikely to pan out.

Networking is good, but please consider what I said about going directly to the companies that interest you. Most of them do not list all of their openings on Monster and such, and are looking for similar people to fill similar positions a lot of the time. This means that if you saw (for example) a receptionist job, there might be data entry or administrative assistant positions not advertised, but open, with the same company. They filter off the people who seem like they might fit those other positions from the receptionist advertisement. This does happen, to some extent, with technical jobs, too ("We have another SysAdmin position open, working on another project, and it seems like a better fit with your resume.").

Anyhow...

And no, that is not a perfect cover letter, but it has served me well these past few months and helped get my foot in the door to a later interview so I could book my clients.
    Thanks for the cover letter. You write a lot more enthusiastically than I do. Will remember to do that next time.

Anyways, I just got another call from my employment agency telling me they are going to set up an interview for me at a pharmaceutical manufacturer. This would be an ideal job. But too many times in the past have they given me this same call and I get notified that I'm underqualified or even overqualified (god dammit!). I hope my luck changes this time around.

*c'mon* *c'mon* *somthing's gotta give*

Quote Originally Posted by low preference guy View Post
    Yeah... expect to get a lot of unsolicited crap. If someone sends you a check as advanced payment, don't cash it! These checks sometimes arrive through DHL.

They'll call you to try to convince you to cash the checks. At least they did these kind of thing about a year ago. They are mostly from Nigeria.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER put your address. The criminals will look up your home phone number and call you.
    Thanks. Just made my resume unsearchable on yahoo jobs. That should prevent new $#@!s from contacting me.

Is moving an option?

You could try PA or NJ for jobs in that field. My g/f is a chemist and she's found lots of stuff in those states when job hunting a year ago. She does inorganic chem, but no harm in trying. It also helps if you've published anything.

If you're really desperate and willing to throw your principles out the window, you could also work for the state in that capacity

If this hasn't been brought up (didn't read the whole thread), do some research on the company and the general business. This way, when the interviewer asks, "do you have any questions for me?" you'll sound like you are really interested in the job (and you can gain interesting insight if you get the gig)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RPEphesians 6:12 (KJV)//I sell stuff here go buy nao!

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    If this hasn't been brought up (didn't read the whole thread), do some research on the company and the general business. This way, when the interviewer asks, "do you have any questions for me?" you'll sound like you are really interested in the job (and you can gain interesting insight if you get the gig)
    Yes, I always do that before I go to an interview. I also review the lab techniques and equipment the position requires you to know in order to refresh my memory (chemistry has a lot of $#@! to learn, I can't remember it all).

Yes, I always do that before I go to an interview. I also review the lab techniques and equipment the position requires you to know in order to refresh my memory (chemistry has a lot of $#@! to learn, I can't remember it all).
    Try looking at "ihirechemists.com" I signed up on their website years ago and still get lots of notices and haven't had weird contacts from it.

That said, you should also link them to your thread inquiring as to whether or not you should smash a fattie, that shows your inquiring nature.

Quote Originally Posted by amy31416 View Post
    Try looking at "ihirechemists.com" I signed up on their website years ago and still get lots of notices and haven't had weird contacts from it.
    I did sign up at ihirechemists but you gotta pay. Something like $50 for a month of job openings sent to your email. Not bad, but I don't know if it's legit.

A lady from ihirechemists called me and asked me to sign up. She said they charge a fee because they have the "best" people looking for jobs on your behalf. I'm not sure I believe them. I mean, they send you potential opportunities without having to pay the fee, but you can't view the job description or contact info unless you pay. So I don't think they work THAT hard.

I did sign up at ihirechemists but you gotta pay. Something like $50 for a month of job openings sent to your email. Not bad, but I don't know if it's legit.

A lady from ihirechemists called me and asked me to sign up. She said they charge a fee because they have the "best" people looking for jobs on your behalf. I'm not sure I believe them. I mean, they send you potential opportunities without having to pay the fee, but you can't view the job description or contact info unless you pay. So I don't think they work THAT hard.
    Really?

I signed up several years ago, maybe before they started charging, and I still get notices.

Ahh well, strike that.

Don't ever put your resume online.

Why? They have to contact you to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Don't ever put your resume online.

Why? They have to contact you to get it.
    Some centralized application websites will only let you submit a resume that's done through their site. It's rare, but it exists, and it's a pain in the ass. That's an additional reason I suggest using those searches to learn about what companies you want to apply to, and then actually going to the company's site to do your research/applying from there.

linkedin.com in supposed to be REALLY popular with companies.
    " Anyone can become angry. That is easy. But to be angry with the right person, to the right degree, at the right time, for the right purpose and in the right way - that is not easy." --Aristotle