Thread: Who Died? A Flag Always Half Staffed Honors No Onene.

Who Died? A Flag Always Half Staffed Honors No Onene.

I don't even know who we honor any longer with the flag at half-staff. As a matter of fact i cannot remember the last time I saw a flag fully raised. This has become a trend that truly bothers me.

US Flag Code
    http://www.ushistory.org/betsy/flagcode.htm

§7. Position and manner of display

M. The flag, when flown at half-staff, should be first hoisted to the peak for an instant and then lowered to the half-staff position. The flag should be again raised to the peak before it is lowered for the day. On Memorial Day the flag should be displayed at half-staff until noon only, then raised to the top of the staff. By order of the President, the flag shall be flown at half-staff upon the death of principal figures of the United States Government and the Governor of a State, territory, or possession, as a mark of respect to their memory. In the event of the death of other officials or foreign dignitaries, the flag is to be displayed at half-staff according to Presidential instructions or orders, or in accordance with recognized customs or practices not inconsistent with law. In the event of the death of a present or former official of the government of any State, territory, or possession of the United States, or the death of a member of the Armed Forces from any State, territory, or possession who dies while serving on active duty, the Governor of that State, territory, or possession may proclaim that the National flag shall be flown at half-staff, and the same authority is provided to the Mayor of the District of Columbia with respect to present or former officials of the District of Columbia and members of the Armed Forces from the District of Columbia. The flag shall be flown at half-staff 30 days from the death of the President or a former President; 10 days from the day of death of the Vice President, the Chief Justice or a retired Chief Justice of the United States, or the Speaker of the House of Representatives; from the day of death until interment of an Associate Justice of the Supreme Court, a Secretary of an executive or military department, a former Vice President, or the Governor of a State, territory, or possession; and on the day of death and the following day for a Member of Congress. The flag shall be flown at half-staff on Peace Officers Memorial Day, unless that day is also Armed Forces Day. As used in this subsection —
    the term "half-staff" means the position of the flag when it is one-half the distance between the top and bottom of the staff;
    the term "executive or military department" means any agency listed under sections 101 and 102 of title 5, United States Code; and
    the term "Member of Congress" means a Senator, a Representative, a Delegate, or the Resident Commissioner from Puerto Rico.
    With the never ending wars it has become apparent that we will forever have our flag at half-staff. I doubt that the Governors have properly done the duty to cause flags to be lowered. I am beginning to think that it has just become the new normal, and way that the flag will be raised everyday. When the flag is always at half-staff it no longer honors anyone.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    What's worse is that they're flying it right-side-up. We are in distress. Old Glory needs to be union-down.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.