Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just saw this bird on my deck....

Just saw this bird on my deck....

I love living in the country.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Red-bellied woodpecker - those little guys make appearances in our suburban yard, too. Haven't seen them since fall, can't wait for the return.

Which reminds me - need to purchase and put up a woodpecker box for nesting.

I can hear the them head banging out in the eucalyptus grove. And these guys help us keep the snail population under control on our land.

Diversity finds unity in the message of freedom.

Dilige et quod vis fac. ~ Saint Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    Quote Originally Posted by HOLLYWOOD View Post
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.
    "I'll believe in good cops when they start turning bad cops in."

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......
    I don't want to live in a cookie cutter, federally mandated society.
    Give me messy freedom every time!

This is a Pileated Woodpecker, we had them at the last house I lived in. They are wicked cool!

"Pileated woodpeckers are the largest of the common woodpeckers found in most of North America. These crow-sized birds present a memorable sight with their zebra-striped heads and necks, long bills, and distinctive red crests."
    http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...oodpecker.html
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

I'm waiting (and looking for) Robins.
    None yet. Nice weather all week, but I am not fooled.
    http://pcosmar.blogspot.com/2008/04/...ril-fools.html

I don't trust UP weather.
    But I do trust the Robins.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

They're pretty, but I hate 'em... they poke holes in my wood siding. I get some pileated woodpeckers in my backyard as well. Also pretty, and so far they've left my house alone, but they could destroy a wall in no time. When they peck a tree it sounds like somebody's pounding a hammer and you can see big wood chips flying.

Here's one out the window of my friend's cabin. It's about a foot and a half long.

"No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by rancher89 View Post
    This is a Pileated Woodpecker, we had them at the last house I lived in. They are wicked cool!

"Pileated woodpeckers are the largest of the common woodpeckers found in most of North America. These crow-sized birds present a memorable sight with their zebra-striped heads and necks, long bills, and distinctive red crests."
    http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...ted-woodpehtml
    Yes, I used to get those in Indiana, but haven't had any luck at all here in MI. They're huge!

The holes they peck in the eucalyptus trees are perfectly round.

Above all I think everyone needs to understand that neither the Bundys nor Finicum were militia or had prior military training. They were, first and foremost, Ranchers who had about all the shit they could take.
    If anything, this situation has proved the government is nothing but a dictatorship backed by deadly force... no different than the dictatorships in the banana republics, just more polished and cleverly propagandized.

In a free society there will be bigotry, and racism, and sexism and religious disputes and, and, and.......

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deborah K View Post
    The holes they peck in the eucalyptus trees are perfectly round.
    So are the ones they poke in my siding.
    "No matter how noble you try to make it, your good intentions will not compensate for the mistakes that people make; that want to run
    our lives and run the economy, and reject the principles of private property and making up our own decisions for ourselves." -Ron Paul

We get pileateds and downys back home.

"Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    Cats will cure that problem. Here's my Bella:

Last edited by Deborah K; 03-09-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja Homer View Post
    I had to chase a few red-bellied rascals away from our siding, too. Grrr.

I see pileateds every so often too, but I haven't seen one in 2010 yet. Just saw a bluejay. Hey, if I keep this up I'll earn my birdwatching badge!
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Northern Flicker

Keep an eye out for these guys, too (male pictured). They often travel in groups of three to five. Beautiful birds!

Downy's are cool birds, my sister had a pair eating out of her hand one year. The next year they came back with their fledglings. I wish I had a picture of that!

We have mockingbirds here in abundance. Years ago the neighborhood mockingbird used to sing with/to my canary. They would sing each others' songs, sometimes singing together, sometimes taking turns. Unfortunately, they would start around 3 AM
    Liberty, of course, has her price in blood, if we do not suppport her when she is in trouble.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...oodpecker.html
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Here's one for you:

Brown Thrasher:
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

You really don't notice them most of the year, but when they sing, you know they aren't mockingbirds. (although the mockingbird will pick up their song, it will mix it in with other snippets)

and just so happens to be the Georgia State Bird
    http://www.50states.com/bird/brthrash.htm

Danno, I wondered how long it would take for someone to post that!

Danno, I wondered how long it would take for someone to post that!
    http://members.tripod.com/infinite_c...ity/woody2.wav
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Pretty! I've seen several cardinals and a whole lot of crows thus far, that's about it.

Believe it or not, the daffodils are already starting to come up too.

daffodils, forsythia, winter jasmine, crocus are starting to push up as well as the early daylilies.

Plus all of those bothersome spring weeds... some of which are pretty enough to just let go, today.

Downy's are cool birds, my sister had a pair eating out of her hand one year. The next year they came back with their fledglings. I wish I had a picture of that!

We have mockingbirds here in abundance. Years ago the neighborhood mockingbird used to sing with/to my canary. They would sing each others' songs, sometimes singing together, sometimes taking turns. Unfortunately, they would start around 3 AM
    Ah yes, we had a bunch of mockingbirds near our old place in Indiana.. I used to find them charming and amusing.. until one started singing, quite loudly, at midnight!
    The more laws and order are made prominent,
    The more thieves and robbers there will be.
    ~Lao-tzu

"Do not believe anything because it is said by an authority, or if it is said to come from angels, or from Gods, or from an inspired source. Believe it only if you have explored it in your own heart and mind and body and found it to be true."~ Buddha

Who invented this:

silly humans.
    Last edited by nayjevin; 03-09-2010 at 04:22 PM.
    I'm a moderator, and I'm glad to help. But I'm an individual -- my words come from me. Any idiocy within should reflect on me, not Ron Paul, and not Ron Paul Forums.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post

I love living in the country.
    Nice pic! I've got those guys loving any type of suet I put out. They're called red-cockaded woodpeckers. We've seen some pileateds, but they are really skittish around here in Carolina.

Is it going to be an early spring? I'm listening to frogs croaking away down in the stream, and a couple of bluebirds checking out my nest boxes just this morning. 63 degrees right now at 6:45pm EST.

Put out a feeder and watch nature come to you.
    Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pacelli View Post
    They're called red-cockaded woodpeckers.

Ton of money being spent on RCWs...
    Ron Paul 2012

Pics from my sister's backyard

Quote Originally Posted by RedLightning View Post
    Ton of money being spent on RCWs...
    Amen to that. Petsmart & Southern States are both running sales on suet. .59 cents per. Needless to say I'm stocked up.

Right now the grackles are out in full force, raiding feeders and wiping out seed supplies. These bastards travel in packs and are major tyrants. They are really pretty birds but their call is off-putting.

Maxed out to ALL of Ron Paul's campaigns.

Listen to Liberty Tree Radio! ::

Pro-Liberty, Pro-Gun, Pro-Militia Radio 5 days a week, 10 LIVE HRS TALK RADIO PER DAY!

http://www.libertytreeradio.4mg.com

http://www.themicroeffect.com (8A - 11A EST daily)

http://www.live365.com/stations/edtheak47 (3 PM- 9 PM EST daily)

Organize, Arm, Equip, and Train as a Militia !

Grackles are basically rats with wings.

Here's one for you:

Brown Thrasher:
    http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/id

You really don't notice them most of the year, but when they sing, you know they aren't mockingbirds. (although the mockingbird will pick up their song, it will mix it in with other snippets)

and just so happens to be the Georgia State Bird
    http://www.50states.com/bird/brthrash.htm
    I miss brown thrashers - don't see 'em out here. When I would do the dishes, I'd watch them out the kitchen window...they'd pick up leaves and toss them aside to look for bugs under them....
    Why can't everybody else leave everybody else alone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast