Thread: What is the benefit to the US/rational of spending $1 trillion/year on the military?

What is the benefit to the US/rational of spending $1 trillion/year on the military?

I was reading the wikipedia article on the British Empire last night, and I was amazed at how big it was. Alot of the world from Singapore, Hong Kong, Canada, India, South Africa, Australia etc was touched by it someway 25% of the entire world area and population.

It got me thinking about the similiarities of what we do. We basically handle the foreign defense of Japan, Taiwan, Israel, South Korea, Germany just to name a few and much of the middle east either directly or through aid.

What is the piont of having a huge base in a country? Does it project our power? Is it used to maintain the status quo and if anything arises that is bad for the US we can respond?

I'm trying to understand what the benefit to the USA is of this or what the neconservative rational is, even if I disagree with it. Does it open up more trading partners economically? Certainly England benefited by having all those places to trade with and its obvious we trade alot with these places - Japan, South Korea etc. It would be simple if we went to Iraq and just took ownership of all the oil but we don't do that so I'm trying to understand the point of it all.
    Last edited by Howard_Roark; 03-04-2010 at 11:45 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Military would say it's about rapid force projection and deployment. The old "just in case" scenario where we guard against even the most remotest of threats. The cost vs value of these bases is seriously out of whack. We could rid ourselves of all of them and Americans would never feel any difference, besides being a bit richer.

"cheap" gas

or so they say...

we could leave the UN, eliminate the dept of education and pretty much everything else besides maybe the coast guard and american wouldn't feel much difference besides being a bit richer

Quote Originally Posted by Stary Hickory View Post
    The old "just in case" scenario where we guard against even the most remotest of threats.
    Government works on a use it or lose it basis. In that sense a standing army is dangerous to have around in and of itself because it tends to want to create conflicts to rationalize its own existence. All government works like that, not just the military. Government is a malicious concept in general, sometimes necessary, but definitely something to be avoided when possible.

you got me...

according to the neocons, the .mil is soooooooo important, we need a dozen supercarriers, and a fleet of subpart f22s, and toilet seats and hammers that cost multiple times more than what you would buy at any big box store, not for policing the world or for offering kick backs to friends in corporate places, but for our own safety.

/fail
    Quote Originally Posted by SWATH View Post
    ...ask him why he should be able to have a dick since he could rape someone with it, then kick him in the vagina for good measure so he'll remember it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    If we could create a Department of Hookers and Blow that would keep these villains busy for their entire adult lives, and kept away from doing their stated jobs, I'd support that.

US military hegemony is closely tied to US dollar hegemony. The house of cards that is our economy will be blown away without the dollar being the universal reserve currency, and one of the reasons it is the reserve currency is beyond economic; it's the geopolitical 'certainty' that the US is and always will be strong. Now that that perception is noticeably weakened, you are starting to see the cards sway in the breeze. Ultimately, the economy and the military are strongly linked thanks to decades of policies causing that to be so. It started during the bipolar era of the Cold War and remains in effect today.

For pure strategic purposes, yes having bases and lots of supercarriers makes power projection so much faster and easier than previously was conceivable. The use of power projection, however, is the heart of the issue. Historically, we have used it to maintain dollar hegemony, and likely will in the future as well.

Simple: You offend the POTUS in some way bad enough, and you get bombed to the stone age in a couple of hours, and your country, which has a militarized police force and a "navy" made of some rubber speed boats for defense, is engaged in a multiple front war with the the best military force on the planet in less than 36 hours.
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCanToNA View Post
    US military hegemony is closely tied to US dollar hegemony. The house of cards that is our economy will be blown away without the dollar being the universal reserve currency, and one of the reasons it is the reserve currency is beyond economic; it's the geopolitical 'certainty' that the US is and always will be strong. Now that that perception is noticeably weakened, you are starting to see the cards sway in the breeze. Ultimately, the economy and the military are strongly linked thanks to decades of policies causing that to be so. It started during the bipolar era of the Cold War and remains in effect today.
    This is probably the only explanation for our massive military that actually makes logical sense. Problem is, RP is the only person I've ever heard talk about it.

For the Empire!
    Do a barrel roll!

Supporting Member
    North Carolina

There are very few benefits for us I believe.

It seems like we have all the negatives of empire (blowback) without the benefits (new land).
    Equality is a false god.

Armatissimi e Liberissimi

I'd highly reccomend Ismail Kadare's "The pyramid". the whole purpose of building the pyramid was to keep the people miserable and, thus, keep themselves in power. It sounds paradoxical but it worked for Keops!

edit
    Abolish the Privately Owned Federal Reserve Bank Corporation!
    How many more times are we going to let them screw up our economy?

It's a neo-conservative spending program they worked hard for. They brainwashed us all into waging war with the bogeyman and we fell for it. The neo-liberals count this achievement as a victory and whole heartedly support it. Any program that increases tax payer spending is acceptable to the libs. The progressives are doing one better now by simply throwing even more money in the national money hole. Good for them.

In The Know / Should The Government Stop Dumping Money Into A Giant Hole?
    YouTube - Should The Government Stop Dumping Money Into A Giant Hole?
    Last edited by michaelwise; 03-04-2010 at 04:15 PM.
    Abolish the Privately Owned Federal Reserve Bank Corporation!
    How many more times are we going to let them screw up our economy?

Military industrial complex. It is THAT big.

Quote Originally Posted by ResistTemptation View Post
    Military industrial complex. It is THAT big.
    Too big to fail?

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    That has to be the worst Youtube screenshot ever.