Thread: Jason Chaffetz Joins Walter Jones and Ron Paul in Opposing P.A.

Jason Chaffetz Joins Walter Jones and Ron Paul in Opposing P.A.

Jason Chaffetz voted today against renewing the Patriot Act.

He was one of 97 Congressmen to oppose it, and one of a very small minority of Republicans to do so.

What're your thoughts on this guy from Utah? He's clearly very fiscally conservative, is he solidly pro-liberty?
    Last edited by John Taylor; 03-02-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

No doubt all of those "abstaining" are running for re-election... like Nancy Pelosi.

Chaffetz is one of the good ones.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I was with him posting Ron Paul signs in 07' He is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahApocalypse View Post
    I was with him posting Ron Paul signs in 07' He is the real deal.
    I'm happy to hear that! One by one we're going to get pro-constitution, pro-laissez faire guys in there!!!
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

The independence caucus, which had a lot to do with Chavetz replacing Cannon, is currently focussing on getting Bob Bennet replaced in 2010. Tim Bridgewater is my choice, but he is not without some baggage. Mike Lee is also looking like a strong contender - we hope to beat Bennett in convention with no primary.
    "The journalist is one who separates the wheat from the chaff, and then prints the chaff." - Adlai Stevenson

“I tell you that virtue does not come from money: but from virtue comes money and all other good things to man, both to the individual and to the state.” - Socrates

Jimmy Duncan also voted no. I'm not really familiar with Chaffetz. But I'd put Duncan right up there with Jones. If anything, I'd say Duncan's overall record is better. But I've noticed Jones moving more and more toward Ron Paul lately.

The neoconservatives are going to rain hate and discontent down on Chaffetz's head when he is up for re-election, and I hope we can support him.

He's extremely fiscally conservative. For instance, he sleeps in his actual congressional office instead of renting an apartment. His reasoning is wife can use that extra money that he saves by sleeping in his office for their family.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6589701

Video above is a report of him sleeping in his office.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    For instance, he sleeps in his actual congressional office instead of renting an apartment. His reasoning is wife can use that extra money that he saves by sleeping in his office for their family.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6589701

Video above is a report of him sleeping in his office.
    In addition to being a great way to save money, that's just plain cool and weird. I like it.

I'm upset that Jeff Flake voted yes, especially since he introduced a bill earlier on to saw off certain parts of the Patriot Act. And also Tom McClintock. What happened?
    "With respect to the words 'General Welfare', I have always regarded them as qualified by the detail of powers connected with them. To take them in a literal and unlimited sense would be a metamorphosis of the Constitution into a character which there is a host of proofs was not contemplated by its creators." - James Madison, 1831

I love Jason Chaffetz. I follow him on twitter and watched his show on CNN, 'Freshman Year.'

While he is in his first term, the more I follow him the more he impresses me. He is definitely not afraid to stand up to his party on some issues.

Chaffetz:
    -Advocates a US troop withdrawl in Afghanistan, and opposes nation building.
    -Wrote a bill to ban full body scanning in airports, and has made this a big issue, constantly critiquing the idea of violating people's privacy.
    -Never earmarks

I disagree with his support for a federal constitutional amendment to define marriage, but other than that he is great.
    Republican Precinct Committeeman, Arizona LD21.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Romantarchist View Post
    I'm upset that Jeff Flake voted yes, especially since he introduced a bill earlier on to saw off certain parts of the Patriot Act.
    Yeah me too. I'm surprised, I thought he would oppose it. Oh well. At least Flake is good on other things (I love his constant opposition to economic sanctions).
    Republican Precinct Committeeman, Arizona LD21.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

These guys like Flake, McClintock, Jones, and Duncan....they shouldn't represent our long term goals. But they can be representative of our short term goals, even though there is much we will disagree with them on.

Sincerely,

Slutter McGee

Quote Originally Posted by MR2Fast2Catch View Post
    Yeah me too. I'm surprised, I thought he would oppose it. Oh well. At least Flake is good on other things (I love his constant opposition to economic sanctions).
    I'm sorry to see Flake vote that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    The neoconservatives are going to rain hate and discontent down on Chaffetz's head when he is up for re-election, and I hope we can support him.
    I take it his primary is contested. What's the opposition looking like?
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdrake View Post
    I take it his primary is contested. What's the opposition looking like?
    I believe that in Utah, if a candidate doesn't get 60% support at the State Convention, he has to run in a primary.

OMG HELL FROZE OVER

My Rep. voted against the P.A re authorization (Perriello). He's a freshman Democrat who defeated Virgil Goode by 727 votes; he's not facing a primary.

Utah's 2nd District; Rep Jim Matheson has a Constitutionalist in the form of Republican challenger Casey Owen.

I also note that two of Oregon's Democrats Earl Blumenaeur and Peter DeFazio; both facing rematches with Ron Paul endorsed candidates from 2008 Delia Lopez and Jaynee Germond respectively; voted against it.

Minnesota's 5th District Rep. Keith Ellison; facing Rally for the Republic speaker and another 2008 Ron Paul endorsee Barb Davis White; in another rematch; voted against it.

Surprise Surprise; perhaps they realize the threat we the people pose.
    Last edited by RP4EVER; 03-04-2010 at 06:00 PM.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    BTW: Does anybody have a Bill number on this; the one I find H.R. 3845 had one of the no votes as a co-sponsor and has not had any vote thus far.

NVM: I found it
    Last edited by RP4EVER; 03-04-2010 at 08:11 PM.

How awesome is it to have another congressman that votes like Ron Paul? There are so few of them... there was really only ONE that voted 100% constitutional for many years, but now we're on the upswing! What a great time to be alive!

A Tea-O-Con Case Study - Incumbent Rep. Jason Chaffetz's Legacy of Likability, Photo

"The most formidable weapon against errors of every kind is Reason. I have never used any other, and I trust I never shall." Thomas Paine

Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 08-15-2010 at 09:41 PM.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Good to see

Good to see a fellow Mormon standing up for Liberty. Especially after Romney has ruined our reputation in the Liberty Movement.