Thread: Question for Rand

Question for Rand

A quesiton I'd like to ask Rand is this:

Your father has said that he reads antiwar.com every day(*). How often do you read it?

I would have a lot more confidence that he wouldn't get sucked into supporting the next war if I knew he is also an avid reader of antiwar.com. It would be a good way for him to signal to us his true aversion to war without risking the support of Kentucky Republicans.

(*) I believe Ron, too. He often incorporates talking points into his cable news appearances that originated on antiwar.com that day or the day before. A recent example would be the leak that the Obama administration was debating the legality and political feasibility of assassinating US citizens, which didn't get much coverage anywhere except by antiwar.com and Glenn Greenwald (an antiwar.com columnist).
    Last edited by rp08orbust; 02-24-2010 at 08:36 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by rp08orbust View Post

Your father has said that he reads antiwar.com every day(*). How often do you read it?

I would have a lot more confidence that he wouldn't get sucked into supporting the next war if I knew he is also an avid reader of antiwar.com. It would be a good way for him to signal to us his true aversion to war without risking the support of Kentucky Republicans.

(*) I believe Ron, too. He often incorporates talking points into his cable news appearances that originated on antiwar.com that day or the day before. A recent example would be the leak that the Obama administration was debating the legality and political feasibility of assassinating US citizens, which didn't get much coverage anywhere except by antiwar.com and Glenn Greenwald (an antiwar.com columnist).
    Rp,

Rand cannot say what you are asking without hurting his cause politically, because for him to say that opens him up to smears that he's a pinko-softie on the war on "terror"... instead, he'll tell you his position, that he is a constitutionalist who will insist on a declaration of war prior to any initiation of hostilities. Look up his speeches for Ron from 2007-2008...
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Rp,

Rand cannot say what you are asking without hurting his cause politically, because for him to say that opens him up to smears that he's a pinko-softie on the war on "terror"... instead, he'll tell you his position, that he is a constitutionalist who will insist on a declaration of war prior to any initiation of hostilities. Look up his speeches for Ron from 2007-2008...
    Yeah I don't think some realize Rand's situation or understand the viciousness of politics at all. I wish it was some Socratic debating society about ideas and information but it's naive to think it is.

If I was asked what I read in a political race I'd say the names of dead Al Qaeda and Taliban.
    "We took it in the shorts with Bush-Cheney, the Iraq War, and by sacrificing fiscal responsibility to hold power.”
    ~John Boehner, GOP Minority Leader

"Take out all this movement stuff. There is no movement.... Look, I know this probably sounds arrogant to say but I redefined the Republican Party." ~President George W. Bush to speechwriter

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    Rand cannot say what you are asking without hurting his cause politically, because for him to say that opens him up to smears that he's a pinko-softie on the war on "terror"
    That would be a pretty easy accusation to debunk. "As a US Senator, the most serious votes I cast will be on whether to declare war, and it will be my responsibility to be as informed as possible on the arguments both in favor of and against war."

... instead, he'll tell you his position, that he is a constitutionalist who will insist on a declaration of war prior to any initiation of hostilities. Look up his speeches for Ron from 2007-2008...
    I believe him on that. It's the declarations of war that he might be sucked into voting for that cause me concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Chieftain1776 View Post

If I was asked what I read in a political race I'd say the names of dead Al Qaeda and Taliban.
    Gold Star, brilliant answer.
    The evils of the protecting-duty, may undoubtedly be graduated by compromises, like those of every other species of tyranny, but the folly of letting in some tyranny has in all ages been fatal to liberty. A succession of wedges, though apparently small, finally splits the strongest timber. ~John Taylor of Caroline, Tyranny Unmasked

We have four boxes with which to defend our freedom: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box. ~Congressman Larry McDonald.

That would be a pretty easy accusation to debunk. "As a US Senator, the most serious votes I cast will be on whether to declare war, and it will be my responsibility to be as informed as possible on the arguments both in favor of and against war."

I believe him on that. It's the declarations of war that he might be sucked into voting for that cause me concern.
    Of course it would be easy to debunk, but it's also easy to run tv adds on topics like that.... I think Rand should continue to state his position, but without opening himself to attack.

Wow, that's the kind of question a Treyson supporter would ask

That would put Rand in a tough position...terrible question in my opinion
    You know he's not a hawk