Thread: Breaking: Dutch government collapses over troops stay in Afghanistan

Arrow Breaking: Dutch government collapses over troops stay in Afghanistan

Anyone seeing this being reported in MSM?

What could this mean for Obama regime, his America firster handlers? Hopefully no major effect on plans to keep Iran surrounded by keeping large number of troops in both Iraq and Afghanistan for as long as possible:

Quote:

Saturday, 20 February 2010

Dutch cabinet collapses in dispute over Afghanistan

The Dutch government has collapsed over disagreements within the governing coalition on extending troop deployments in Afghanistan.

After marathon talks, Christian Democratic Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende announced that the Labour Party was quitting the government.

Mr Balkenende has been considering a Nato request for Dutch forces to stay in Afghanistan beyond 2010.

But Labour, the second-largest coalition party, has opposed the move.

The collapse of the government was announced after a 16-hour cabinet meeting.

Just under 2,000 Dutch service personnel have been serving in Afghanistan's Uruzgan province since 2006, with 21 killed.

Their deployment has already been extended once. The troops should have returned home in 2008, but they stayed on because no other Nato nation offered replacements.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8525742.stm

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This seems like a big story to me. But I guess these days threads only get more than one view if they have "Glenn Beck" in the title.

soviet style collapse or I'm just really mad and not talking to you right now collapse?

Collapse as in ruling party is no longer able to retain gov because it no longer has majority of elected reps support. It's a different form of of gov than ours, parliamentary demoracy I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Star View Post
    Collapse as in ruling party is no longer able to retain gov because it no longer has majority of elected reps support. It's a different form of of gov than ours, parliamentary demoracy I think.

Yeah, I'm not familiar with Dutch government but if it's anything like other Western European nations governments collapse and dissolve all the time. That said, even though they are used to it, I think it's still a pretty big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Baptist View Post
    Yeah, I'm not familiar with Dutch government but if it's anything like other Western European nations governments collapse and dissolve all the time. That said, even though they are used to it, I think it's still a pretty big deal.
    Was just going to say this happens in Europe all the time. Different form of gov - it doesn't really mean collapse. It's a shift in alliances.

It's more fluid than our system but I don't think stable govs fall too often even in that system. How many times Blair or Brown govs have fallen.., well Blair gov did fall and that was a major event.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty Star View Post
    It's more fluid than our system but I don't think stable govs fall too often even in that system. How many times Blair or Brown govs have fallen.., well Blair gov did fall and that was a major event.
    The Blair government (more properly the Labour government) didn't collapse, Blair resigned because Labour was risking losing the support of some of its own MPs over some of the leadership's policies, and that would have led to a probable new election and a Tory government being installed. It was a close call, but it still wasn't a technical collapse. The most common time for a collapse is when there is a minority or coalition government and one of the parties that is in support of the coalition, or accedes to the minority's government, no longer will accede to that government.
    http://www.ronpaul2012.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by GK Chesterton
    It is often supposed that when people stop believing in God, they believe in nothing. Alas, it is worse than that. When they stop believing in God, they believe in anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rt. Hon. Edmund Burke
    Nothing is so fatal to religion as indifference.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated."
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
    - Mark Twain

"I'm Ron Paul, I'm a Congressman from Texas serving in my tenth term, I am the champion of the Constitution." 05/03/07 - revolution restarts

Quote Originally Posted by nate895 View Post
    The Blair government (more properly the Labour government) didn't collapse, Blair resigned because Labour was risking losing the support of some of its own MPs over some of the leadership's policies, and that would have led to a probable new election and a Tory government being installed. It was a close call, but it still wasn't a technical collapse. The most common time for a collapse is when there is a minority or coalition government and one of the parties that is in support of the coalition, or accedes to the minority's government, no longer will accede to that government.
    You're correct, he premptively resigned after he lost support. Technically it was a resignation.

This seems like a big story to me. But I guess these days threads only get more than one view if they have "Glenn Beck" in the title.
    Word! I just noticed this because I heard about the story on the radio and decided to see if someone else had already posted it here.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.