Thread: Obama signs memorandum on childhood obesity

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Obama signs memorandum on childhood obesity

"In the Oval Office this morning, President Obama signed aPresidential Memorandum in conjunction with his wife's launch of anationwide campaign to tackle childhood obesity, what he called the'most urgent' health issue facing the country. ... The memorandumcreates a 90-day plan creating a task-force to provide 'optimalcoordination' between private sector companies, not-for-profits,agencies within the government and other organizations to address theproblem of childhood obesity."
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...d-obesity.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This fat kid is pissed off cause he's hungry:

YouTube - angry fat kid
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Not sure if government has a solution but it's definitely a huge problem. I was in high school less than ten years ago and kids we used to make fun of for being fat would be in the majority today.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post
    Not sure if government has a solution but it's definitely a huge problem. I was in high school less than ten years ago and kids we used to make fun of for being fat would be in the majority today.
    Government subsidies to any type of processed or manufactured food product including corn, soy and dairy need to go away. Big Ag needs to go away. Monsanto should have its charter revoked (most companies should)

Food would be more expensive but we would not be subsidizing unhealthy food.
    Anything in a box has likely been forumlated to hit the right sensory points with the right amount of preservatives.

How many people shop strcitly along the outside of a grocery store? How many would know how too?
    “We have it in our power to begin the world over again.” - Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by Ethek View Post
    Government subsidies to any type of processed or manufactured food product including corn, soy and dairy need to go away. Big Ag needs to go away. Monsanto should have its charter revoked (most companies should)
    What would you say to this argument?

In a free market supply and demand ebbs and flows and you can't always predict it. Sometimes supply is greater than demand and sometimes demand is greater than supply. A good example of the latter case was the Nintendo Wii - when it first came out demand far outstripped supply and for more than a year there were many people who wanted a Wii and simple couldn't get one at the store, there was not enough supply.

Now this is ok when we are talking about when we are talking about the Nintendo Wii (or many other products that this happens to) but catastrophic when talking about break and milk and fruits and vegetables etc... So it's worth it to ensure that we always have more than enough of these staples.

I generally believe in free markets but I'm willing to accept that there are exceptions - food being one of them.

This is the argument my economics professor makes.

What would you say to this argument?

In a free market supply and demand ebbs and flows and you can't always predict it. Sometimes supply is greater than demand and sometimes demand is greater than supply. A good example of the latter case was the Nintendo Wii - when it first came out demand far outstripped supply and for more than a year there were many people who wanted a Wii and simple couldn't get one at the store, there was not enough supply.

Now this is ok when we are talking about when we are talking about the Nintendo Wii (or many other products that this happens to) but catastrophic when talking about break and milk and fruits and vegetables etc... So it's worth it to ensure that we always have more than enough of these staples.

I generally believe in free markets but I'm willing to accept that there are exceptions - food being one of them.

This is the argument my economics professor makes.
    Tell that to the people who died in the Great Depression after the government plowed under food crops to prop up the price of food up so farmers could continue to make their loan payments.

Tell that to the people in Mexico who have had to pay nearly double the prices in corn due to subsidies by the Federal Government for ethanol.

Government intervention into the food supply has proven deadly.

There are free market mechanisms for keeping back-up food supplies. If we had competing currencies, then we could have gold certificates or silver certificates.. so why not have corn certificates? Or rice certificates? You could buy 40 lbs. of rice and hold on to the certificate. Let's say you bought your 40 lbs of rice certificates for 40 gold certificates. If the food supply is strong, then you can trade it around in the market to those willing to buy the rice certificates, just like currency. If there is a food shortage, then the price of food will go up, so the value of your rice certificate would go up. If you needed the rice, then you could trade in your certificates for the rice in storage. This would help relieve the general market because it is freeing up reserves to add to the food supply. Otherwise you would have had to dip into the general food supply to survive, driving up prices. On the other hand, if you have enough food where you are but there is a shortage elsewhere, you could sell your rice to somebody for maybe 50 or 60 gold certificates since the price of food has gone up. This mechanism that I am describing would help relieve the rice market, increase supplies and ultimately lower costs because the demand would not be driven as far beyond the original supply. So while it appears that you are "capitalizing" off of a disaster, you are in fact aiding the victims by providing the goods they need, and you should benefit because you saved and invested in creating those reserves for them. So it's a win for everybody.

The best part about this plan is that it puts the true wealth in the hands of the individuals rather than government. Government is inept in carrying out monetary policy, I have no reason to trust their judgment in taking care of our food.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-11-2010 at 06:14 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Tell that to the people who died in the Great Depression after the government plowed under food crops to prop up the price of food up so farmers could continue to make their loan payments.

Tell that to the people in Mexico who have had to pay nearly double the prices in corn due to subsidies by the Federal Government for ethanol.

Government intervention into the food supply has proven deadly.

There are free market mechanisms for keeping back-up food supplies. If we had competing currencies, then we could have gold certificates or silver certificates.. so why not have corn certificates? Or rice certificates? You could buy 40 lbs. of rice and hold on to the certificate. Let's say you bought your 40 lbs of rice certificates for 40 gold certificates. If the food supply is strong, then you can trade it around in the market to those willing to buy the rice certificates, just like currency. If there is a food shortage, then the price of food will go up, so the value of your rice certificate would go up. If you needed the rice, then you could trade in your certificates for the rice in storage. This would help relieve the general market because it is freeing up reserves to add to the food supply. Otherwise you would have had to dip into the general food supply to survive, driving up prices. On the other hand, if you have enough food where you are but there is a shortage elsewhere, you could sell your rice to somebody for maybe 50 or 60 gold certificates since the price of food has gone up. This mechanism that I am describing would help relieve the rice market, increase supplies and ultimately lower costs because the demand would not be driven as far beyond the original supply. So while it appears that you are "capitalizing" off of a disaster, you are in fact aiding the victims by providing the goods they need, and you should benefit because you saved and invested in creating those reserves for them. So it's a win for everybody.

The best part about this plan is that it puts the true wealth in the hands of the individuals rather than government. Government is inept in carrying out monetary policy, I have no reason to trust their judgment in taking care of our food.
    +++
    Bump!
    I have sworn upon the altar of God eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    I don't see how competing currencies or rice certificates stops shortages. Despite the free market there was a Nintendo Wii shortage for about two years. Demand FAR outclipped supply. In a free market there are many times shortages for goods - if it's the iPhone or a Nintendo Wii it's ok - if it's bread and milk and fruits and vegetables the $#@! hits the fan.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Science is now actually starting to uncover the fact that obesity (like other diseases) is linked to, not what you eat (or how much) but bacteria. Heart disease is another 'infection' that is being mistreated all the time. Diet's generally don't work and there are logical evolutionary reasons for why we tend to store fat.
    "Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Μολὼν λάβε

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

Brooklyn - I give that "science" about as much weight as I do the magazines at the grocery store "How to lose weight in 5 minutes a day" or "the new trick to six pack abs". There's no trick.

People are fat because they eat too much unhealthy food and exercise too little. Sure there might be a small small percentage of people who have some genetic disorder. But for the most part if they exercised more and ate less sugar and fat they'd be ok.

If it is genetic why are obesity rates climbing so dramatically? Not just in the US but around the world?

Watch this video and keep in mind that this dude was considered a fat POS 30 years ago. He would probably be considered average today.

YouTube - Full Metal Jacket - Private Pile
    Last edited by BlackTerrel; 02-14-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Thumbs down

Brooklyn - I give that "science" about as much weight as I do the magazines at the grocery store "How to lose weight in 5 minutes a day" or "the new trick to six pack abs". There's no trick.
    Well, I can see there is no point in debating you as your mind is made up to follow what the $#@!ing douchebag 'weight loss' industry has touted going on 4 decades at the very least. Whatever.
    "Democracy, too, is a religion. It is the worship of jackals by jackasses." - H.L. Mencken

Μολὼν λάβε

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." - William Pitt

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Red Leg View Post
    Well, I can see there is no point in debating you as your mind is made up to follow what the $#@!ing douchebag 'weight loss' industry has touted going on 4 decades at the very least. Whatever.
    The opposite. I don't believe in the weight loss indsutry. I think it's really simple - you get fat by eating too much unhealthy food and not exercising enough.

If it is genetic as you claim why are people so much fatter today than they were 30 years ago - heck than they were 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Red Leg View Post
    Science is now actually starting to uncover the fact that obesity (like other diseases) is linked to, not what you eat (or how much) but bacteria. Heart disease is another 'infection' that is being mistreated all the time. Diet's generally don't work and there are logical evolutionary reasons for why we tend to store fat.
    It's my understanding that diet is very much linked to obesity. Certain foods tend to "activate" the gene that tells the body to store fat. I'm only an amateur at this, but I've had good success by eliminating foods that tend to cause weight gain (corn, starches, sugars, simple carbohydrates).
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

People need to stop eating low-fat, sugar free crap.

A hunk of bacon washed down by a cup of sugary lemonade beats a fat-free lunchable any day of the week.

Welfare needs to be revamped. Stop allowing EBT card holders to use the card at fast food joints. Stop allowing the purchase of Pepsi, Red Bull, Doritos and other garbage foods. Better yet, in inner cities tear down the vacant building and turn under those lots and let the Welfare recipients plant urban gardens. Make them actually work for the handouts they feel they are entitled to.

And why do college kids need EBT cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Elle View Post
    Welfare needs to be revamped. Stop allowing EBT card holders to use the card at fast food joints. Stop allowing the purchase of Pepsi, Red Bull, Doritos and other garbage foods. Better yet, in inner cities tear down the vacant building and turn under those lots and let the Welfare recipients plant urban gardens. Make them actually work for the handouts they feel they are entitled to.

And why do college kids need EBT cards?
    EBT cards can't be used for fast food in AZ. I don't know why it would be allowed in other states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just a mask to take our freedoms away.

Government pays farmer to make more food than we need. Thus making sure we have an overabundance of supply.

From my Google Buzz:
    There are a whole lot of fat children in this country. I wouldn't call it nanny state to try to address it.
    If a federal government getting involved in the feeding of children isn't indicative of a nanny state, nothing ever will be.