Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latinos say their votes could tip 40 congressional races

Latinos say their votes could tip 40 congressional races

By William Douglas | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Failing to overhaul the nation's immigration system, currently a backburner issue for Congress and President Barack Obama, could play a pivotal role in key mid-term election races in November, according to a new study on Latino voting patterns.

The report by America's Voice, which supports comprehensive new immigration policies, says that revising the laws is the defining issue for Latino voters. The report says that progress — or the lack thereof — in revamping immigration laws and regulations could affect as many as 40 congressional races in areas with sizeable Latino populations, including the re-election bids of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., just two years ago his party's presidential candidate.

"Immigration reform is a litmus test in the Latino community," Eliseo Medina, the president of the Service Employees International Union, said during a conference call about the study. "To us, this is a policy issue, but it is also an issue about respect."

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/254/story/84011.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Well then that is not racist at all...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

I'd like to know what "comprehensive new immigration policies" consist of.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    I'd like to know what "comprehensive new immigration policies" consist of.
    Code language for AMNESTY

Quote Originally Posted by silverhandorder View Post
    Well then that is not racist at all...
    It's a means of being divisive. "The Latino Community" is not solidly behind this kind of immigration reform, or amnesty, or whatever else. There are a large number of Hispanics who are 100% legal, and resent what the influx of illegals and all the special interest crap that's arisen around it. There are a large number of Hispanics who do not see immigration as an issue of "respect," but instead see it the same way that threads on this board do (an issue of borders, welfare, freedom to hire, etc.).

Stories like this are meant to paint some kind of "Hispanic solidarity" picture, when in fact that's much akin to trying to paint one of "white solidarity" a couple of hundred years ago in this country. If you went back to that time period, you'd find "Irish need not apply," and you'd find discrimination against various groups that have now melted into "white" on the census form. Cubans, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Costa Ricans, Venezuelans... there are differences in culture, and moreover there are differences within those groups depending on how long someone's lived in the mainland USA, or whether they speak English as a primary or secondary (or tertiary) language. Most importantly, there are differences because there are human beings involved.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    It's a means of being divisive. "The Latino Community" is not solidly behind this kind of immigration reform, or amnesty, or whatever else. There are a large number of Hispanics who are 100% legal, and resent what the influx of illegals and all the special interest crap that's arisen around it. There are a large number of Hispanics who do not see immigration as an issue of "respect,"
    Good point. Some people lose sight of this

The only people I am pissed at are the journalists writing this and the spokesman they interviewed.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyw24 View Post
    "Immigration reform is a litmus test in the Latino community," Eliseo Medina, the president of the Service Employees International Union, said during a conference call about the study. "To us, this is a policy issue, but it is also an issue about respect."
    Eliseo Medina does a very good job of representing the interests of the Democratic Party and Latinos.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder what kind of legislation will be proposed so these congressmen can keep their seats.

Amnesty my ass.

I don't give a goddamn how poor mexico is and how desperate these people are. If they want to improve their standard of living, they need to have a revolution in Mexico. We have our own revolution to deal with.

By William Douglas | McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON — Failing to overhaul the nation's immigration system, currently a backburner issue for Congress and President Barack Obama, could play a pivotal role in key mid-term election races in November, according to a new study on Latino voting patterns.

The report by America's Voice, which supports comprehensive new immigration policies, says that revising the laws is the defining issue for Latino voters. The report says that progress — or the lack thereof — in revamping immigration laws and regulations could affect as many as 40 congressional races in areas with sizeable Latino populations, including the re-election bids of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., and Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., just two years ago his party's presidential candidate.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/254/story/84011.html
    SEIU, nough said.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfTaught View Post
    I don't give a goddamn how poor mexico is and how desperate these people are. If they want to improve their standard of living, they need to have a revolution in Mexico. We have our own revolution to deal with.
    They DID have an armed revolution, and the Mexican Military, backed by the US military destroyed them. It wasn't in the news. Are you surprised?? This was back around 1994 after NAFTA passed and destroyed their Constitution. We forced them to destroy their Constitution. The effect was that millions of people were kicked off land that they owned and the poverty rate in Mexico doubled. This was all due to actions by OUR government. So don't blame Mexicans, they are just part of our empire that our tax dollars support.

If you lived in Mexico and your land was stolen that your ancestors had worked on for generations, you would not likely have had any other opportunity but to move to the US. You would have seen that it was in fact encouraged by our country and so you would have come despite that it is "illegal" or whatever. Then hopefully your Mexican self and your current American self would meet and you could see how you aren't that much different after all. It would be a beautiful thing.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-09-2010 at 12:58 PM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    They DID have an armed revolution, and the Mexican Military, backed by the US military destroyed them. It wasn't in the news. Are you surprised?? This was back around 1994 after NAFTA passed and destroyed their Constitution. We forced them to destroy their Constitution. The effect was that millions of people were kicked off land that they owned and the poverty rate in Mexico doubled. This was all due to actions by OUR government. So don't blame Mexicans, they are just part of our empire that our tax dollars support.

If you lived in Mexico and your land was stolen that your ancestors had worked on for generations, you would not likely have had any other opportunity but to move to the US. You would have seen that it was in fact encouraged by our country and so you would have come despite that it is "illegal" or whatever. Then hopefully your Mexican self and your current American self would meet and you could see how you aren't that much different after all. It would be a beautiful thing.
    Danno, did you get a mail-order bride from Mexico? Just curious.

Danno, "Our" Government made deals/concessions with "Their Government". Right/Wrong. Whatever. What about THEIR government. They had to ratify treaties too, right?

Should we allow 10's of millions of iraq's/afghani's to immigrate here to American because "OUR" government is over there bombing?

Alot of americans lost their jobs too, because of NAFTA. I don't hear you sobbing over them?

You divest ALL responsible in the breaking of the laws because of NAFTA? C'mon. You are being very dishonest. I am still waiting on this "illegal immigrant" encampement location in Los Angeles you seem to always bring up in your defense of illegal immigration. I expect Melissa to come in here shortly. Where one goes, the other follows. Curious, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Xar View Post

Danno, "Our" Government made deals/concessions with "Their Government". Right/Wrong. Whatever. What about THEIR government. They had to ratify treaties too, right?
    Thanks for taking the time to understand EMPIRES.

Fail.

Sorry you can't comprehend the fact the Mexico doesn't have sovereignty and they are essentially under our control by the same elites who control our government. They had NO CHOICE on NAFTA, just like we didn't have any choice. The difference is that we bare more responsibility because we are where home base is being run out of.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-09-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Should we allow 10's of millions of iraq's/afghani's to immigrate here to American because "OUR" government is over there bombing?
    No, we should leave, immediately. They can't walk here so I don't think it will be an issue. I'm not saying we should bring Mexicans here, but $#@!, if I were Mexican I would have come to the US illegally as well. And so would you, you just don't know it.

Alot of americans lost their jobs too, because of NAFTA. I don't hear you sobbing over them?
    Ya, I'm against NAFTA. That's why my older brother is unemployed and gets help from my parents, because dey tookeerrr joooerrrbs!! It's terrible, he has kids to support and everything.. but he keeps getting jobs when he can and is doing ok. I wish things were better for everybody, that's why I advocate freedom.

You divest ALL responsible in the breaking of the laws because of NAFTA? C'mon. You are being very dishonest.
    I'm just saying that is what I would do for self survival. I break federal laws every day, in fact I'm smoking cannabis right now, doctor's orders. I have no problems with breaking unjust laws. If we were leaving them alone, we'd have no reason not to protect our borders.. and we should protect our borders.. but we failed and they came in and got jobs. Nothing wrong with that, especially considering the circumstances we put them in.

I am still waiting on this "illegal immigrant" encampement location in Los Angeles you seem to always bring up in your defense of illegal immigration.
    It wasn't in LA, it was in north San Diego County.

http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-...1_migrant-camp

I expect Melissa to come in here shortly. Where one goes, the other follows. Curious, isn't it?
    Are you serious?? That makes me I like Melissa.
    Last edited by dannno; 02-09-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KAYA View Post
    SEIU, nough said.
    Unions aren't interested in keeping up wages for their members, they are more interested in getting more members who can pay them dues and fill their coffers(whether they be legal or illegal)

Danno, did you get a mail-order bride from Mexico? Just curious.

You divest ALL responsible in the breaking of the laws because of NAFTA? C'mon. You are being very dishonest. I am still waiting on this "illegal immigrant" encampement location in Los Angeles you seem to always bring up in your defense of illegal immigration. I expect Melissa to come in here shortly. Where one goes, the other follows. Curious, isn't it?
    I was the fifth post in the thread. Your reading comprehension never fails to astonish.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was the fifth post in the thread. Your reading comprehension never fails to astonish.
    Why thank you.

Everywhere Danno posts, you posts - or vice versa. I admit, I am not crawling the threads with "illegal immigrant" in them like you both, so I am not sure who's the top/bottom in your relationship.

I am not sure who's the top/bottom in your relationship.
    She's usually on top in my 'magination

Somehow I doubt these guys wanting 'comprehensive immigration reform' want open borders anywhere except in the south.

Why thank you.

Everywhere Danno posts, you posts - or vice versa. I admit, I am not crawling the threads with "illegal immigrant" in them like you both, so I am not sure who's the top/bottom in your relationship.
    It just could not be that we both post frequently, and that this post was towards the top of "New Posts" for awhile

This thread, by the way, did not say "illegals" until I posted it. The original post was about "Latino votes," whatever the hell that is supposed to be, and talked about "immigration reform." To be fair, it does talk about "illegals" once you go to the article. I didn't do that when I posted. I was responding directly to a post about how the article was racist. The fact remains that articles like the one in the OP, and the organizations mentioned therein, are far more about fanning the flames of ignorance than putting forth some sort of powerful, united front. It's bunk.

If you'd like to believe I'm a one-issue troll, I suppose you will, and there's no stopping that... no matter how willfully ignorant of you it may be.

Have a stellar day.

How come people get pissed when the Mexicans do it but not about the Irish?

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/44/...f_undocum.html

SCRANTON, Pa. -- An issue that has been largely missing from the English-language presidential debate recently -- immigration reform -- made a brief return here this morning when Republican John McCain addressed a largely Irish-American crowd.

McCain said there were "50,000 Irish men and women in this country illegally who want to become citizens'' and that "we have to give them a path to citizenship."

McCain was a leader of the failed effort in Congress last year to overhaul the nation's immigration policies, and told the audience that it was an example of his willingness to take on controversial issues despite the political costs -- a point McCain has been making of late in ads playing on Spanish-language radio stations in key states, but by and large eschewed before non-Hispanic audiences.

"It didn't make me the most popular member of my own party and it almost cost me the nomination of my party," McCain said.

McCain said it also showed he had a willingness to reach across the aisle to form common ground -- he specifically mentioned Sen. Edward M. Kennedy (D-Mass.), a hero in the Irish community -- which he said Democratic rival Barack Obama did not possess.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackTerrel View Post

How many illegal Mexican immigrants do we have again?

How about this as a deal, we will keep the 50,000 Illegal Irish people. We will send back 9,950,000 illegal Mexicans and keep 50,000 illegal Mexicans.

People will gravitate towards the example with the most dramatic impact. There are a lot of illegals from various countries here in the US. In some areas, there are way more of that group than there are Mexicans, but overall the US has a problem with Mexican illegals than with any other group.

Having said that, the OP is about the "Latino vote," and attempting to make that seem like some cohesive thing. I can't really convey how silly that is. The only thing that would come close is if we had a global election tomorrow, for someone to say there's a cohesive "black vote," and that darker skinned people in Somalia, Nigeria, Australia, the USA, Trinindad, and Haiti would all vote precisely the same because they're part of some roughly-constructed "group."

cuz Europeans arent clogging up our prisons and welfare rolls

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    As long as we have welfare state we have vested interest in keeping out the poor Mexicans. Sorry that is reality. When we have a free country let as many of them in as you want.

But honestly can anyone see a white organization advocate that? Whites can tip every single race in the country. However it would be patently supremacist and false to talk about like they can do that. There is no one group of whites. So why does the article's author get away with this?

Quote Originally Posted by sofia View Post
    Neither are Mexicans. They do the job the "Europeans" don't want to do.

People will gravitate towards the example with the most dramatic impact. There are a lot of illegals from various countries here in the US. In some areas, there are way more of that group than there are Mexicans, but overall the US has a problem with Mexican illegals than with any other group.
    Depends what you define as a problem. Here in California I see Mexicans doing all the jobs that native born Americans don't want to do. That's a good thing.

Neither are Mexicans. They do the job the "Europeans" don't want to do.
    Ya honestly CA agriculture grew exponentially with the amount of cheap labor that was coming up when I was growing up. They weren't living very well back then, either.. Mostly they were giving us cheap food and flowers.

The welfare is bad, and that side has gotten worse because many are now dependent, but that's not their fault for taking it, it's our fault for giving it.

Quote Originally Posted by sofia View Post
    They don't march proudly with the flag of the country they run like bitches to get here from either.
    I know I'm being Nationalistic, right?
    WTF are they doing?
    Actions like this are a huge factor in the propagation of hate.

Sorry Eliseo, you don't speak for any community, other than the government/union mafia you are a member of...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast